It turns out the South is honest, not fat

So I presented two studies which you reject because to think you're right all the time, here's on pertaining to which states are the healthiest. Minnesota is ranked 5th. The thing that brought Minnesota down wasn't obesity but infectious diseases and binge drinking.
America's Healthiest And Unhealthiest States - Forbes.com
Healthiest State Rankings Of 2012
Here's a study that says Minnesota is the 6th fittest state in the country. So according to your study, Minnesota has an obesity problem, yet it's one of the fittest states in the union! That's amazing!!!
Fattest and Fittest States Slideshow: Obesity in Adults & Children
Plus Mens Fitness ranked Minneapolis the 9th fittest and Shape Magazine ranks the city the most fit city.
So I present various studies that contradict your one study, but you're right because in your mind, I'm just pretending I'm smart! Someone has an ego problem.

You did not present any studies, you presented two articles about one study. I pointed out that the study you are relying on is the exact same one the article I presented is criticizing and citing another study about stroke, which was done by doctors actually weighing their patients, and measuring their heights.

You keep circling back to the same CDC survey, throwing in other surveys, and I keep pointing to the scientific study I am relying.

You are 100% correct, someone has an ego problem. You were presented with actual evidence that you find impossible to accept, so you keep digging up surveys, which are opinions, to refute actual numbers. You have an ego problem, you refuse to admit that what you know is wrong.

Quantum, about a year ago or so you gave me positive reps because I admitted I was wrong. I had admitted I was wrong previous times to your rep and I have done it since. To err is human.
Minnesota has been honored consistently for it's healthy citizens and for it's fitness level. Why not see if I'm kidding, I'm not. How in the hell can a state known in the health and fitness communities as one of the elite states be one of the fattest?

You keep coming back to something about the study you don't like because of one state. May I point out that the study did not list each state, it was focused on the region. It is entirely possible for one state to not fall in with the entire region when you do a statistical analysis, that does not mean the data for the entire region is wrong.

If the study is wrong about the region, make a case for it using actual data. If you don't like the conclusion, but can't actually refute the data, I can't help you. I don't necessarily agree with the data myself, I just thought it was neat that people lie to surveys.

You did not present any studies, you presented two articles about one study. I pointed out that the study you are relying on is the exact same one the article I presented is criticizing and citing another study about stroke, which was done by doctors actually weighing their patients, and measuring their heights.

You keep circling back to the same CDC survey, throwing in other surveys, and I keep pointing to the scientific study I am relying.

You are 100% correct, someone has an ego problem. You were presented with actual evidence that you find impossible to accept, so you keep digging up surveys, which are opinions, to refute actual numbers. You have an ego problem, you refuse to admit that what you know is wrong.

Quantum, about a year ago or so you gave me positive reps because I admitted I was wrong. I had admitted I was wrong previous times to your rep and I have done it since. To err is human.
Minnesota has been honored consistently for it's healthy citizens and for it's fitness level. Why not see if I'm kidding, I'm not. How in the hell can a state known in the health and fitness communities as one of the elite states be one of the fattest?

You keep coming back to something about the study you don't like because of one state. May I point out that the study did not list each state, it was focused on the region. It is entirely possible for one state to not fall in with the entire region when you do a statistical analysis, that does not mean the data for the entire region is wrong.

If the study is wrong about the region, make a case for it using actual data. If you don't like the conclusion, but can't actually refute the data, I can't help you. I don't necessarily agree with the data myself, I just thought it was neat that people lie to surveys.

The study may have been by region but the linked article singled out Minnesota and there is way too much proof that Minnesota is not one of the most obese states, it's one of the fittest and healthiest states in the country. End of story.

If adults want to let themselves become obese, it's one thing but letting their kids become obese is a form of child abuse and it's setting them up for a lifetime of misery.

Blount disease.
Excess weight on growing bones can lead to this bone deformity of the lower legs.
Arthritis.
Wear and tear on the joints from carrying extra weight can cause this painful joint problem at a young age.
Slipped capital femoral epiphyses (SCFE).
Obese children and teens are at greater risk for this painful hip problem. SCFE requires immediate attention and surgery to prevent further damage to the joint.
Asthma.
Obesity is associated with breathing problems that can make it harder to keep up with friends, play sports, or just walk from class to class.
Sleep apnea.
This condition (where a person temporarily stops breathing during sleep) is a serious problem for many overweight kids and adults. Not only does it interrupt sleep, sleep apnea can leave people feeling tired and affect their ability to concentrate and learn. It also may lead to heart problems.
High blood pressure.
When blood pressure is high, the heart must pump harder and the arteries must carry blood that's moving under greater pressure. If the problem continues for a long time, the heart and arteries may no longer work as well as they should. Although rare in most teens, high blood pressure, or hypertension, is more common in overweight or obese teens.
High cholesterol.
Long before getting sick, obese teens may have abnormal blood lipid levels, including high cholesterol, low HDL ("good") cholesterol, and high triglyceride levels. These increase the risk of heart attack and stroke when a person gets older.
Gallstones.
An accumulation of bile that hardens in the gallbladder forms gallstones. These may be painful and require surgery.
Fatty liver.
When fat accumulates in the liver, it can cause inflammation, scarring, and permanent liver damage.
Pseudotumor cerebri.
This is a rare cause of severe headaches in obese teens and adults. There is no tumor, but pressure builds in the brain. In addition to headaches, symptoms may include vomiting, unsteady walking, and vision problems that might become permanent if not treated.
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
Girls who are overweight may miss periods — or not get their periods at all — and might have elevated testosterone (the male hormone) levels in the blood. Although it's normal for girls to have some testosterone in their blood, too much can interfere with normal ovulation and can cause excess hair growth, worsening acne, and male-type baldness. PCOS is associated with insulin resistance, a precursor to developing type 2 diabetes. Overweight women also might have fertility problems.
Insulin resistance and diabetes.
When there is excess body fat, insulin is less effective at getting glucose, the body's main source of energy, into cells. More insulin becomes needed to maintain a normal blood sugar. For some overweight teens, insulin resistance may progress to diabetes (high blood sugar).
Depression.
People who are obese are more likely to be depressed and have lower self-esteem.

When Being Overweight Is a Health Problem

And?

Overweight, huh?

I don't buy the crap about how processed foods are all they can afford. Processed foods are the most expensive. I grew up poor and my mother put good healthy meals on the table. Of course she wasn't a crack head and food was a priority.

The study may have been by region but the linked article singled out Minnesota and there is way too much proof that Minnesota is not one of the most obese states, it's one of the fittest and healthiest states in the country. End of story.

Except it did not actually single out Minnesota. The only time it even mentions Minnesota without mentiong it as part of the region is when the author speculates about why the south doesn't lie as often.

"It is hard to know exactly what is going on, but my speculation is that people in the South are telling the truth more," Howard said. "Perhaps there is not as much stigma connected to obesity as say someone in California, or in this case, Minnesota."

I don't see that as an attack on either state mentioned, but I tend to be weird.

Forum List

Back