Itchy puppy

and many times you will learn things from other dog owners ....no reason not to explore things...now is there...

I'll ask people i know not a bunch of anonymous avatars on a message board thank you.

I hold to my original sentiment.

so what did the groomer say and is it worse after being clipped?
The groomer found three fleas! I did not see any fleas on her, but I have a nasty story...

I am the building inspector for the county. I inspected a house with four, count 'em four children under the age of six. When I came up from the basement, I noticed my ankles were itching. As I rolled my trouser cuffs up. I couldn't see where my socks ended and the flea infestation began! I did not know there were that many fleas on the planet! They were everywhere! Up to my armpits, around my back and clustered at my waist!

I called my office and told them I would not be in for the afternoon. I had to decontaminate myself. I drove straight to a hardware store and bought a box of flea bomb aerosol cans. I drove home and stripped to my skivvies in my drive way, tossed my clothes into the Explorer and set off a bomb inside. As I entered through my garage and into the kitchen, Daisy got excited and wanted up. I scolded her to discourage her and climbed into the shower.

Now, know this, she was itching before my Hitchcockian flea adventure.

Last night I picked up Daisy from the groomer and she was beautiful! She itched a bit, but i counted that up to the new haircut. This morning she was still sleeping soundly as I left for work. We'll see this evening if the itching has abated.

Thanks to everybody for all the input!

Sounds like you might have found the problem! :)

and many times you will learn things from other dog owners ....no reason not to explore things...now is there...

I'll ask people i know not a bunch of anonymous avatars on a message board thank you.

I hold to my original sentiment.

In many cases I'd agree - check it out with the vet, and you'll notice most of us suggested that. However with something pretty mild that is not an emergency it's helpful to sometimes try to gather information first - whether it's from experiences of other dog owners or searching on the internet. Not every problem requires a visit to a veterinarian.

so what did the groomer say and is it worse after being clipped?
The groomer found three fleas! I did not see any fleas on her, but I have a nasty story...

I am the building inspector for the county. I inspected a house with four, count 'em four children under the age of six. When I came up from the basement, I noticed my ankles were itching. As I rolled my trouser cuffs up. I couldn't see where my socks ended and the flea infestation began! I did not know there were that many fleas on the planet! They were everywhere! Up to my armpits, around my back and clustered at my waist!

I called my office and told them I would not be in for the afternoon. I had to decontaminate myself. I drove straight to a hardware store and bought a box of flea bomb aerosol cans. I drove home and stripped to my skivvies in my drive way, tossed my clothes into the Explorer and set off a bomb inside. As I entered through my garage and into the kitchen, Daisy got excited and wanted up. I scolded her to discourage her and climbed into the shower.

Now, know this, she was itching before my Hitchcockian flea adventure.

Last night I picked up Daisy from the groomer and she was beautiful! She itched a bit, but i counted that up to the new haircut. This morning she was still sleeping soundly as I left for work. We'll see this evening if the itching has abated.

Thanks to everybody for all the input!

For flea infestation you have to do it again every three weeks for a while. Because the eggs will hatch in 3 weeks (I think it's three). It can be a bitch to get rid of.

3 fleas really isn't indicative of an infestation, you're pretty lucky there. When you know you have an infestation is when you're talking and they jump in your mouth.

BTW....tapeworm eggs come from flea guts. If your dog has had fleas, treat them for tapeworms as well because they will catch them, crunch them with their teeth, get their guts in their mouths.

Also, they lick their butts, where eventually tapeworms exit, and if they have even a piece of tapeworm on a lip and you kiss them, guess what? Tapeworms regenerate! I learned that in biology class in college. I don't kiss my animals on the mouth except sort of accidentally every now and then. Tapeworms (and fleas) don't seem to be a problem here, but I've lived in places where you'd walk outside and have dozens of fleas attack your legs within 5 seconds. When I'd leave the house to go running, I'd look down as I went off our place and onto the road, and there would be dozens of fleas on my shortie socks. THey hatch on the ground, where the eggs are dropped, and they jump on the first warm blooded thing they can find.

Same location, the fleas got into the house (of course they would).

We had lots of deer and coyotes living in the area, I'm assuming the infestation started with them...then spread to our place because we were like the only place with living animals (other than the deer and coyotes) for miles.

So happy we don't have fleas here.

Last edited:
so update us on the itty puppy...was it the fleas or something more?

Actually, she has an appointment with the Vet at 3:30 today! More to come!

Sunday afternoon, I took her walking in the cemetery. She found a stuff animal (a Curious George toy) someone left on a tombstone. I saw where she got it. She ran with that toy and refused to come to me! All through the cemetery (for about a half mile) she teased with the monkey!

When I finally got it away from her, she copped an attitude! She ignored me for the rest of the evening.

Anyone here have experience with miniature poodles? Mine stops and scratches nearly four times a minute! She has no fleas. Does she have an allergy maybe? Is this typical for the breed?

She's only nine months old and it's driving both of us crazy!

Nosmo, small dogs have small brains. Who knows why they do what they do? Get a man's dog, get a Dane.

Anyone here have experience with miniature poodles? Mine stops and scratches nearly four times a minute! She has no fleas. Does she have an allergy maybe? Is this typical for the breed?

She's only nine months old and it's driving both of us crazy!

Nosmo, small dogs have small brains. Who knows why they do what they do? Get a man's dog, get a Dane.
Dogs should fit their homes. A Dane is about as appropriate for my home Pimplebutt as a Palomino!

The mini-poodle was Mom's dog. At least that was the plan. Mom got the dog as a pup and was put off by her liveliness and energy.

Rather than sell her to an outsider, Mom gave her to me.

And she's smart as a whip!

An update on Daisy the miniature poodle with the itchy skin.

I had her blood tested for allergens. It turned out that she was allergic to damn near everything! Cotton and tobacco (so I can't sell her into slavery), trees, mold, GRASS.

The vet formulated a regimen of injections for her. Because the list of allergies was so long, the formulation comes in two separate vials ad she has to endure two shots instead of just one.

The first vials had green caps and were administered every four to five days.

After they ran their course, I started in with the blue capped vials. That was tragic.

Daisy had a bad reaction, loosing her coat around her hips and butt. The vet had me bring in the vials and she reformulated them into a new mixture with a gold cap.

Again, the shots were four to five days apart, increasing the amount with every shot. Then, again with the blue capped vials.

Now, Daisy is into the final course, a red capped vial. She'll get two more shots tonight, two more eight days from today and then shots every three weeks until the dosage reaches its maximum.

The results? Nothing. She has not shown one sign of getting rid of these allergies.

I'm holding out for the first frost and the chance to rid the environment of some of the things she's allergic to.

In the meantime, she has learned four new tricks including stick 'em up! Bang! She holds up her front paws and on "Bang!" she drops over onto her side and plays dead.

so how is itchy puppy doing?
I've got to give her credit for taking these shots like a champ. Poor thing's like a pin cushion! Every 'shot' is really two separate shots, one from vial A and one from vial B. Each shot the dosage goes up by 10 units. She had 40 tonight and will top out at 80 every 30 days starting sometime around Thanksgiving.

Hell. I paid over $250 to have her blood drawn and analyzed and another $300 for the vaccines. Not counting the vet bills and syringes. It better work!

She's on Iam's Lamb and Rice with the occasional scrap of burger (always from the sandwich I'm eating!)

She calls the tune! I just gotta dance to it.

Forum List

Back