It’s a new day.

Other States don't get to choose where any given State's capital is. Its a non-issue. The only issue is determining the border between Israel and Palestine. Once that is solved, then everyone gets to have a capital where ever they want and can call the place where their capital is Jerusalem or Al Quds or Zombieland or whatever else they want. The issue is where the border is going to be.

I think until that issue is resolved - and who gets to claim Jerusalem - no nation should be putting it's embassy in contested territory nor should they recognize it.

It is not contested territory the arab muslims made certain of that when they invaded and stole the land in 1948. The UN should have went in then and destroyed Jordan as an object lesson to the rest of the arabs

Shrug. No reason a city can't be divided. Not like it hasn't been done before.

The sooner the Palestinians accept the fact that Jerusalem IS Israel's capital, the better.

I thought there were considerable objections to dividing the city again. It's as good a solution as any though.

It doesn't matter to me as long as it's settled. Until then, I don't think it's a good idea to put an embassy there...and no one has yet have they?

It will mean a wall or fence between the two parties and that will cause no end of problems for the UN

No. The reason to object to it is not objecting to the existence of Israel. Embassy's go in a nation's capital. Jerusalem is claimed by both sides and it's status is unresolved. By placing an embassy there, you are stating that you recognize it as Israel's capital.

Jerusalem IS Israel's capital. That is never going to change. Its not an issue. The Palestinians don't get a say in where another State's capital is. Palestinians may also choose Jerusalem as their capital. Why not?

Yes...they could...and they have claimed it as well. So you think it's feasible for two nations to claim one city? Should it be divided again?

No, I don't think it's a good idea to put an embassy in a contested city like that. Let it be resolved and borders decided first.

No let the world see that the US supports Israel's claims and to hell with the arab muslims loss of face. Then hit them with the whammy GET OUT OF ISRAEL OR NEGOTIATE A PEACE

Who knows what goes on in the Egyptian military dictator's mind. The Arabs never did much to help the Palestinians so I would not look for much from them now.

Other States don't get to choose where any given State's capital is. Its a non-issue. The only issue is determining the border between Israel and Palestine. Once that is solved, then everyone gets to have a capital where ever they want and can call the place where their capital is Jerusalem or Al Quds or Zombieland or whatever else they want. The issue is where the border is going to be.

I think until that issue is resolved - and who gets to claim Jerusalem - no nation should be putting it's embassy in contested territory nor should they recognize it.

"West" Jerusalem is not contested.

Where is the division?

114091E_Jerusalem.jpg

No good for anything as that is not indicative of the green line. Try here

map4.jpg

Who knows what goes on in the Egyptian military dictator's mind. The Arabs never did much to help the Palestinians so I would not look for much from them now.

Now ask yourself why ? And see what answer you come up with ?

The Arabs learned from Yassir "it's not aids" Arafat what helping Pal'istanian terrorists provides. Do a search using "Black September" as the keywords.

You make an interesting point. The Arab countries bordering Israel and the Palestinians have a vested interest in regional peace, security and prosperity ... all of which are interconnected. As as such they tend to be somewhat less concerned with historical grievances, radical rhetoric (and saving face) and more interested in rationality and stability.

It can't be easy governing states where religious dogma is so intertwined with politics and where religious organizations and movements - such as the Muslim Bro-hood - are perched like vultures looking to advance their own often conflicting agendas. Those gov'ts must be able to function regionally with other Arab nations (often with competing agendas) and internationally, while satisfying various competing constituencies domestically.

I enjoy a challenge but I wouldn't trade places with any of those gov't leaders.

Mark Lilla - an American political scientist, historian of ideas, journalist, and professor of humanities at Columbia University - wrote the following summary of his book, The Stillborn God: Religion, Politics, and the Modern West. I found it a fact-filled, and nuanced (yet unbiased) view of Islam's perpetual struggle to balance their religious beliefs with the modern world.

Religion and Churches - Separation of Church and State - Politics - God - Christianity - Islam

Forum List

Back