Its baby bird time

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Pass it on -

10299957_10152092831758977_319478892188852736_n.png

Yep. Our house is just a quarter mile from the wetlands on the northwest side of Portland on the peninsula between the Willemette and Columbia Rivers. And we have a large deck with an 8 ft high railing completely around it. As the little birds leave the nest, and some not so little, they often land on that railing. Sometimes with Mommy and Daddy along. We have had Ravens, Crows, various Hawks, and even a fledgling Eagle on that railing. We get a lot of young scrub Jays, real clowns. A real show, the kitchen sink faces the deck, and the wife gets to watch a real show every year.

Bird story! :) I was out kayaking today and playing 'my part of the river, your part of the river" with a snowy egret. First one I have seen in this state. I hope it has nothing to do with a warmer climate.

And you are a lying son of a bitch.

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...e-dead-duck-trial/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

In an Alberta court, the oil sands giant Syncrude Canada has entered the second week of a high-profile case brought by federal and provincial prosecutors over the widely publicized deaths two years ago of 1,600 migrating ducks that were trapped in the toxic sludge floating on one of the company’s vast tailings ponds.

Oil Field Waste Pit Problems, Region 6 Environmental Contaminants, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

The Problem

In 1997, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) estimated that 2 million migratory birds were lost each year to oil pits throughout the United States. Since 1997, many oil operators have taken measures to prevent migratory bird and other wildlife mortality in oil field waste pits. In 1997, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) estimated that 2 million migratory birds were lost each year to oil pits throughout the United States. Since 1997, many oil operators have taken measures to prevent migratory bird and other wildlife mortality in oil field waste pits. Currently, an estimated 500,000 to 1 million birds are lost annually in oil field production skim pits and centralized oilfield wastewater disposal facilities (Trail, P. 2006. Avian mortality at oil pits in the United States: a review of the problem and efforts for its solution. Environmental Management. 38:532-544).

Causes of Bird Mortality « Sibley Guides

And if you look at this guide from people that know birds, you will see that neither the oil ponds nor the wind turbines rank that high.

You seem to be an authority on this problem...tell me how many birds were killed by wind farms, and how many by oil companies....waiting!

AND FROM YESTERDAY....Lawsuit threatened over protections for wind farms that kill birds!!!

A national bird conservation group has signaled its intent to sue the federal government over new rules that give legal immunity to wind farms that unintentionally kill protected bald and golden eagles.
The American Bird Conservancy notified the U.S. Department of Interior last month that it will take legal action in response to the new rules that went into effect in January. They allow wind farms to obtain voluntary 30-year "take" permits, which protect them against prosecution for accidental eagle deaths. Previously, wind companies had been allowed to seek five-year permits.
The wind industry has praised the change for offering much needed, long-term certainty on what had been a legal gray area, while some conservation groups have called the permits a license to kill. Ultimately, the legal fight might not have great consequences for South Dakota, where there's little evidence indicating the state's wind farms are causing eagle fatalities.
South Dakota Public Utilities Commission Chairman Gary Hanson said while high numbers of reported golden eagle deaths are reported in wind-farm accidents in California and Montana, "there really haven't been many reported at all in South Dakota. I don't know if there will be much effect here."
Joe Sullivan, regional policy manager for Wind on the Wires, a wind industry advocacy group, said overall that about 2 percent of golden eagle mortality is attributed to wind farms. Echoing Hanson, he also said South Dakota's wind farms are not in areas commonly used by golden and bald eagles.
Paul Bachman, executive director of the South Dakota Wind Energy Association, said the longer permits reflect the reality of financing wind projects.
"It's almost necessary," he said. "No bank is going to put up financing unless you have the ability to control your costs. You need to know what your costs are going to be throughout the lifetime of a project."

I found a collapsed mud nest constructed by a barn swallow in my out building garage in rural Va. with about four pitiful live ugly helpless featherless birds. I found a narrow cardboard box and nailed it to the wood beams and scooped the birds and the remnants of the nest and dumped the whole mess into the box and the brood survived and came back for three years to the same box.

The geese are getting vicious now with the goslings around. They inhabit my jogging areas. If there are babies, I make wide circles around them.

Long ago, I failed to do so, and got bit on the butt. That is, goosed by a goose. I had not considered the origin of the word "goosed" until that educational experience.

If you find a recent hatchling on the ground, you can never nurture it. Put it in the freezer, or if you are not squeamish, the most humane thing to do is stomp it, lights out. Sad but true.

The geese are getting vicious now with the goslings around. They inhabit my jogging areas. If there are babies, I make wide circles around them.

Long ago, I failed to do so, and got bit on the butt. That is, goosed by a goose. I had not considered the origin of the word "goosed" until that educational experience.

There is this one swan I drive by every morning. She has been sitting on that nest for weeks now. It is pretty much unbelievable. I want to go out and give her some crackers or something. I would probably have a story similar to yours if I did.

If you find a recent hatchling on the ground, you can never nurture it. Put it in the freezer, or if you are not squeamish, the most humane thing to do is stomp it, lights out. Sad but true.

Think that over again. I have a retired Vet nearby that has converted her huge back porch into an aviary which currently houses over 100 injured, and newborns that she takes care of.... most of them make it, and are released when she believes they will be able to take care of themselves. Perhaps a Google search of your area will also net you a wonderful person, such as she is!

We always try to get the bushes and hedges trimmed BEFORE nesting season.
I've got a mockingbird pal that follows me around the yard. Drinking and bathing out of hose spray.

Went beserk for awhile when I trimmed his hedge back. But now, he's happy with the nuts and berries I put out as a truce..

Funny that the birds that they claim it kills is actually nesting in the turbine of wind farms, because of the heat generated by the turbine.

So another "green" energy down the tubes as the far left environmental nuts do want such technologies.

So far nothing is good enough for these environmentalists and they often prove to be their own worst enemy.

Funny that the birds that they claim it kills is actually nesting in the turbine of wind farms, because of the heat generated by the turbine.

So another "green" energy down the tubes as the far left environmental nuts do want such technologies.

So far nothing is good enough for these environmentalists and they often prove to be their own worst enemy.

Let's see. I think what you just said is that raptors are nesting in the turbines. So, why should that dismay anyone? You really should review your posts, as this one makes no sense whatsoever.

Forum List

Back