It's bullshit you don't have the right to waive your rights

I think that's the point of the thread - whether those laws make sense or not.
yea I know, it makes sense to a say 35 year old operator, or someone else being treated like shit...

But it don't make no sense to a 23 year old trying to get ahead in life, or even a 50 year old industrial maintenance guy like me, my type don't follow those federal rules. We get the machines running, blow through breaks ....and then our boss don't give a Damn what we do.

A 35 year old, unless they are mentally incompetent, is able to decide for themselves whether they are being treated like shit.
I have 60 year olds , that were making great money in the textile industry now just making $13 bucks an hour in the plastic industry down here.

Thanks to Bill Clinton and the republicans signing Nafta.

I know the American textiles industry was subsidied , but God Damn it they destroyed pension's and people in the south
I start Thursday making 21 bucks an hour as a commercial mason...it should be higher, but I'll take it...
lmao so moonglow you are a temp worker and think $21 bucks an hour for a few weeks is the bomb ?

Hell I make more then that with benefits and O.T.

But I still didn't buy health care through my company :)
yeah it's okay..I don't require a mansion or a Ferrari..And in this area, 21 bucks as an hourly is decent.Most make 8-15...
I don't have to buy health insurance either..

It amazes me that people are still this stupid. Why the hell anyone would want to go above and beyond the expectations of a job when they're not getting anything out of it (OT pay, etc...) is beyond me.

What they so often fail to realize is that they may or may not be helping themself, but in most cases they are creating an artificial inflation of the expectation for themselves AND FOR THEIR FELLOW EMPLOYEES. An expectation that is BEYOND the scope of the job that we've been hired to do.

I'll give you an example..... About 9 years ago I was hired as a Designer at a utility company. Along with that job came a requirement to do a week of "On-Call" time roughly every six weeks. During call-ins, the expectation was to set up the work safety for the field workers, then hang out until they were done, and undo the safety measures. In between you were free to read, watch tv, etc.... One of my fellow designers decided that he would spend that time working on regular work in his office. This meant he was getting more work done while not charging time to it (on-call time was charged separately). All of the sudden I get called into my boss' office to ask why I'm NOT doing that. I reminded my boss that the "down time" was technically my own to do with as I pleased and that in fact, my co-worker was costing the company money by charging time worked on Capital projects to an Expense account (on-call) for which the customer would not be billed. When my co-worker was told to knock it off, he got pissed at ME.

It is to get ahead of the pack dumb ass...

To set yourself apart, to be quicker to be smarter than anyone else and the fridge benefits come with it.

It amazes me that people are still this stupid. Why the hell anyone would want to go above and beyond the expectations of a job when they're not getting anything out of it (OT pay, etc...) is beyond me.

What they so often fail to realize is that they may or may not be helping themself, but in most cases they are creating an artificial inflation of the expectation for themselves AND FOR THEIR FELLOW EMPLOYEES. An expectation that is BEYOND the scope of the job that we've been hired to do.

I'll give you an example..... About 9 years ago I was hired as a Designer at a utility company. Along with that job came a requirement to do a week of "On-Call" time roughly every six weeks. During call-ins, the expectation was to set up the work safety for the field workers, then hang out until they were done, and undo the safety measures. In between you were free to read, watch tv, etc.... One of my fellow designers decided that he would spend that time working on regular work in his office. This meant he was getting more work done while not charging time to it (on-call time was charged separately). All of the sudden I get called into my boss' office to ask why I'm NOT doing that. I reminded my boss that the "down time" was technically my own to do with as I pleased and that in fact, my co-worker was costing the company money by charging time worked on Capital projects to an Expense account (on-call) for which the customer would not be billed. When my co-worker was told to knock it off, he got pissed at ME.

To set yourself apart, to be quicker to be smarter than anyone else and the fridge benefits come with it.
Even a mini-fridge?

yea I know, it makes sense to a say 35 year old operator, or someone else being treated like shit...

But it don't make no sense to a 23 year old trying to get ahead in life, or even a 50 year old industrial maintenance guy like me, my type don't follow those federal rules. We get the machines running, blow through breaks ....and then our boss don't give a Damn what we do.

A 35 year old, unless they are mentally incompetent, is able to decide for themselves whether they are being treated like shit.
I have 60 year olds , that were making great money in the textile industry now just making $13 bucks an hour in the plastic industry down here.

I know the American textiles industry was subsidied , but God Damn it they destroyed pension's and people in the south
I start Thursday making 21 bucks an hour as a commercial mason...it should be higher, but I'll take it...
lmao so moonglow you are a temp worker and think $21 bucks an hour for a few weeks is the bomb ?

yeah it's okay..I don't require a mansion or a Ferrari..And in this area, 21 bucks as an hourly is decent.Most make 8-15...

Well thanks for the truth, you laugh on the outside and cry on the inside.

You are a working man and I respect that now that I know.

God speed dude....

I have to agree with Anathema on this one.

Most bosses I've had would stupidly ask as that one did , why are you not doing that too, and then go promote the best ass kisser.

God speed dude....
I left the world of dreaming to be a millionaire along with materialism many years ago...and I am happier and get to spend more time with my family...Compared to when I did earn a 6 figure income, I barely knew them....I value time with my family more, than a big paycheck...

Last edited:

I know what you mean.
No matter how hard an employee works, an employer expects, or even demands, that they work harder. If the employee then meets that goal, then the employer raises the bar that much higher. Eventually the employee is at their limit and can work no harder, or burns out. The employer doesn't give a crap because with the current job environment, there's always someone to fill that position - for a while. Then the cycle repeats once more.

Even a mini-fridge?

God speed dude....
I left the world of dreaming to be a millionaire along with materialism many years ago...and I am happier and get too spend more time with my family...Compared to when I did earn a 6 figure income, I barely knew them....I value time with my family more, than a big paycheck...
I never made It to a six figure income, but I know exactly what you are saying....

Even a mini-fridge?

God speed dude....
I left the world of dreaming to be a millionaire along with materialism many years ago...and I am happier and get too spend more time with my family...Compared to when I did earn a 6 figure income, I barely knew them....I value time with my family more, than a big paycheck...
I never made It to a six figure income, but I know exactly what you are saying....
When I ran a business I did, but I worked 7 days a week 12-16 hours a day...

Even a mini-fridge?

God speed dude....
When I ran a business I did, but I worked 7 days a week 12-16 hours a day...
I get you know.

To set yourself apart, to be quicker to be smarter than anyone else and the fringe benefits come with it.

What fringe benefits? I'm talking a SALARY position. There is no additional pay for doing this. Promotional opportunities are based on time with the company and nothing else. So as far as I can see, it's a complete and utter waste of time.

In fact, it got so bad that our entire Engineering/Design Department decided to UNIONIZE in 2007 because of it.

I have to agree with Anathema on this one.

Most bosses I've had would stupidly ask as that one did , why are you not doing that too, and then go promote the best ass kisser.

Yep. The 50 hour a week employee who is still only doing 30 hours a week of actual work because they're spending 20 hours a week under their boss's desk (metaphorically). They're the onse who really think they're going to get ahead when all they really do is make more work for the other employees to cover for the 10 hours of work they're not doing each week. Again, this got bad enough that we UNIONIZED over it.

The top management fellows I know from the Wal-Mart corporate office say with all the time they spend traveling and working, they may make minimum wage...

To set yourself apart, to be quicker to be smarter than anyone else and the fringe benefits come with it.

What fringe benefits? I'm talking a SALARY position. There is no additional pay for doing this. Promotional opportunities are based on time with the company and nothing else. So as far as I can see, it's a complete and utter waste of time.

In fact, it got so bad that our entire Engineering/Design Department decided to UNIONIZE in 2007 because of it.
You think putting effort into the quality of your work is a waste of time if there's no additional pay involved?

Yep. The 50 hour a week employee who is still only doing 30 hours a week of actual work because they're spending 20 hours a week under their boss's desk (metaphorically). They're the onse who really think they're going to get ahead when all they really do is make more work for the other employees to cover for the 10 hours of work they're not doing each week. Again, this got bad enough that we UNIONIZED over it.
Our work week is generally between 40-60 hours. Most of that time is actually spent doing our jobs. We're on salary. Almost nobody sucks up to leadership. It wouldn't really affect anything if they did. This isn't remotely a problem here in the real world.

You think putting effort into the quality of your work is a waste of time if there's no additional pay involved?

When I start a job I make certain that I understand what the requirements and expectations of that job are and what the pay/benefits are. At that point we have an agreement, which I have no problem living up to. If the employer wants MORE than the originally agreed upon amount of, or a higher quality of work, then they need to expand the pay/benefits to befit that extra time, effort, etc.... Life is an investment. IF the return on that investment is not sufficient, then things need to change.

Our work week is generally between 40-60 hours. Most of that time is actually spent doing our jobs. We're on salary. Almost nobody sucks up to leadership. It wouldn't really affect anything if they did. This isn't remotely a problem here in the real world.

MY work week is 40 hours. Not 41, not 50. If you want something more than that, expect to compensate me for the extra. In all three major employers I've had, there have been significant numbers of loafers and do-nothings who "earned" their pay by brown-nosing and kissing ass. In some cases it has benefitted them tremendously. Trust me, it happens more than people would like to think.

My free time is worth considerably more to me than even my current OT rate of pay would compensate me for. That's why, despite being offered OT on a weekly basis, the only part of it that I will do is the MANDATORY storm-related OT. Nothing else.

Most laws regulating commerce and labor are anti-competitive measures, usually pushed by one faction or another for competitive advantage. The laws the OP is complaining about are favored by people who don't want to have to compete for their job with someone who is willing to do more for the same money.

For those of you who think this is a valid used of government's regulatory power, how would feel if businesses applied the same logic? Should Sears be able to lobby for laws preventing Wal-Mart from undercutting their prices? Should all the plumbers in your state be allowed to set minimum prices for their services?

Last edited:
While that's true, it also prevents employers from "encouraging" employees to do so while claiming that it's "voluntary".
When it's either do it or risk losing one's job to someone who will, it sounds more like "mandatory" to me.

WalMart got in a bit of trouble a ways back for doing just that:
Suits Say Wal-Mart Forces Workers to Toil Off the Clock - NYTimes.com
Court Affirms 151M Ruling Against Walmart For Making Employees Work Off The Clock Consumerist

I've seen similar abuse.

A buddy of mine worked for a crappy company that piled so much work on their managers that many of them started working off the clock to get it all done.

One woman got fired for bringing her husband and an older child in to help (after hours).

So, fun choice.

This is your work load. It is to much for you to do. But you have to get it done or you are failing to meet standards.

If you work off the clock or bring in family members to help for free, which is the only way to do it, and get caught we fire you.

Lefties often like to pretend that the Rich are some type of unified force of Evul out to make the world a better place.

This leads to resistance from conservatives who know this is not true.

BUT we conservatives have to remember that there are individual Rich or Companies that are run by complete bastards and who do need rules to prevent them from being complete bastards in every way they can.

No we don't. No one is forcing you to work for those companies.

Just because the woman in question, for some reason, was willing to be a doormat, doesn't mean that we have to celebrate and/or protect that company being an asshole.

It's her call.....or are you her god ?

I'm her fellow citizen, and I see no social good for America in allowing incompetent business leaders try to hide their incompetence by overworking their employees.

SO, a law designed to protect her and not her moronic bosses works for me.

But if an employee chooses to work more....you tell they can't.

And you call that protecting her.

That isn't liberal. It is far left arrogance.

Most laws regulating commerce and labor anti-competitive measures, usually pushed by one faction or another for competitive advantage. The laws the OP is complaining about are favored by people who don't want to have to compete for their job with someone who is willing to do more for the same money.

For those of you who think this is a valid used of government's regulatory power, how would feel if businesses applied the same logic? Should Sears be able to lobby for laws preventing Wal-Mart from undercutting their prices? Should all the plumbers in your state be allowed to set minimum prices for their services?

Excellent points.

Regulatory power is always going to hurt somene...and yet there are those who feel compelled to protect us from ourselves.

They should give out the Al Gore award to the person who does the most to restrict choice in the name of the "Greater Good".

I've seen similar abuse.

A buddy of mine worked for a crappy company that piled so much work on their managers that many of them started working off the clock to get it all done.

One woman got fired for bringing her husband and an older child in to help (after hours).

So, fun choice.

This is your work load. It is to much for you to do. But you have to get it done or you are failing to meet standards.

If you work off the clock or bring in family members to help for free, which is the only way to do it, and get caught we fire you.

Lefties often like to pretend that the Rich are some type of unified force of Evul out to make the world a better place.

This leads to resistance from conservatives who know this is not true.

BUT we conservatives have to remember that there are individual Rich or Companies that are run by complete bastards and who do need rules to prevent them from being complete bastards in every way they can.

No we don't. No one is forcing you to work for those companies.

Just because the woman in question, for some reason, was willing to be a doormat, doesn't mean that we have to celebrate and/or protect that company being an asshole.

It's her call.....or are you her god ?

I'm her fellow citizen, and I see no social good for America in allowing incompetent business leaders try to hide their incompetence by overworking their employees.

SO, a law designed to protect her and not her moronic bosses works for me.

But if an employee chooses to work more....you tell they can't.

And you call that protecting her.

That isn't liberal. It is far left arrogance.
Wal-Mart is full of leftist, I think not..

Forum List

Back