It's called Epistemic Closure.

BULLDOG

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2014
The conservative movement was built on the premise that the main organs of knowledge — journalism, academia, science — are hopelessly and even consciously biased toward liberalism. In response to this belief, the right constructed its own bubble in which only a claim originating from within the movement can be taken as true. Julian Sanchez once called this “epistemic closure,” meaning that its beliefs were not open to correction from outside sources.
That's why MAGAs will argue that abortion includes murder of newborn children, or that "drill baby drill" is the perfect remedy for high childcare costs. It's why trump claimed that immigrants were eating their neighbor's pets without even considering how absurd such a claim might be. Of course, the election was stolen. Of course, the insurrection was nothing more than tourists strolling through the capitol. Of course, trump is God's chosen one who was picked, by God, to rule the country. It's why you can't have a rational conversation about anything with your crazy MAGA uncle. I have no idea how to pierce this bubble, or what it will take for them to see that reality is not what they think, but at least we can define what the problem is. That's a start.

The conservative movement was built on the premise that the main organs of knowledge — journalism, academia, science — are hopelessly and even consciously biased toward liberalism. In response to this belief, the right constructed its own bubble in which only a claim originating from within the movement can be taken as true. Julian Sanchez once called this “epistemic closure,” meaning that its beliefs were not open to correction from outside sources.
That's why MAGAs will argue that abortion includes murder of newborn children, or that "drill baby drill" is the perfect remedy for high childcare costs. It's why trump claimed that immigrants were eating their neighbor's pets without even considering how absurd such a claim might be. Of course, the election was stolen. Of course, the insurrection was nothing more than tourists strolling through the capitol. Of course, trump is God's chosen one who was picked, by God, to rule the country. It's why you can't have a rational conversation about anything with your crazy MAGA uncle. I have no idea how to pierce this bubble, or what it will take for them to see that reality is not what they think, but at least we can define what the problem is. That's a start.
all sorta true----but the epistemic argument can correctly be attributed
to the (sic) "PROGRESSIVE" movement. The situation may seem hopeless....
..... because it is.

all sorta true----but the epistemic argument can correctly be attributed
to the (sic) "PROGRESSIVE" movement. The situation may seem hopeless....
..... because it is.
The term was no doubt coined by the "PROGRESSIVE" movement to describe the weirdly bizarre behavior of MAGAs.

The term was no doubt coined by the "PROGRESSIVE" movement to describe the weirdly bizarre behavior of MAGAs.
well---then the "progressive movement" coined a phrase motivated by a desire
to vilify "MAGAS" which can correctly be used to vilify----"progressives" (and
they own all the banks)

"Epistemic" is waaaaaaaay too big a word for a knuckle dragger like you to understand.

well---then the "progressive movement" coined a phrase motivated by a desire
to vilify "MAGAS" which can correctly be used to vilify----"progressives" (and
they own all the banks)
You know that remark was goofy as shit, don't you?

🥱💤

which part of the complex sentence do you find goofy?
I will admit to a part----I just couldn't resist.
I wasn't commenting on the sentence structure. It could have been better, but I understood your point. I was referring to your stupid point as goofy.

which one
There was no desire to vilify MAGA. Only an effort to identify their childishly bizarre behavior. Any vilification was purely coincidental. No idea what your remark about banks has to do with the subject. Your feeling of need to include that was pretty goofy. You might say it's pretty weird too.

There was no desire to vilify MAGA. Only an effort to identify their childishly bizarre behavior. Any vilification was purely coincidental. No idea what your remark about banks has to do with the subject. Your feeling of need to include that was pretty goofy. You might say it's pretty weird too.
I am not at all convinced that MAGA is doing "childishly bizarre behavior---in fact I have not noticed ANY MAGA BEHAVIOR ----no riots, no marches, no blocking traffic or vandalism ------what is MAGE DOING---that irritates you----I am not sure I have ever ENCOUNTERED A "MAGA"

Forum List

Back