It's Teachers Day

Teaching , like any other profession, is mostly comprised of people who are just putting in their time and doing just enough not to get fired

You don’t understand the profession.
It's no different from any other.

:lmao:

How long have you worked as a teacher?

I've been teaching guitar and piano to kids and adults for years

I know everyone likes to think they're somehow special and that their chosen profession is special but it's really not the case.

Can it. You come in and do it for 30 years and when the kids don't know the material, I'll roast you over the coals.
Just pass them on, somebody else’s problem now!

Just shut up
I will when teachers start teaching.

You're like a hammer and everything is a nail. You have your orthodoxy here and nothing is going to break it. Makes you stupid on this topic. So shut up
Meanwhile Millennials can’t even read a map, analogue clock, cursive handwriting, balance a checkbook, use a keyboard properly, etc etc...

So? You can't spell "analog". How stupid are you?

"Real world" of teaching:

In every elementary school in my district we now have to routinely evacuate classrooms because of kids losing their marbles and hitting, biting, kicking, and throwing things. I'm sure Weatherman has the easy answer for this, right Weatherman? What is it?

Why don't you start a school with all your accumulated knowledge and we''ll just see how many sign up to teach there and bring their kids there? Make sure you have almost five year olds who are still not toilet trained.
Maybe teachers should demand proper discipline policies in schools rather than fatter paychecks.

Teachers never strike for helping children, just themselves.

That is not a negotiable item. Your school board is responsible for disciplinary policies. Teachers are not.

Also, strikes are illegal in almost every school system in this country.

Teaching , like any other profession, is mostly comprised of people who are just putting in their time and doing just enough not to get fired

I know everyone likes to think they're somehow special and that their chosen profession is special but it's really not the case.

Oh, I've done private lessons. And I'm a public school teacher of 25+ years' duration. You're missing a real huge piece here called, for one thing, "Classroom management"

If you believe that, it is far more than you apparently do.

I've never been fired because I haven't worked for anyone else since I was in high school.

To say that teachers are somehow different from every other person is ridiculous.

Most people do not love their jobs
Most people are only putting in time and doing what they have to do

Teachers are no exception.

Of course teachers don't see that in themselves but then again no one does

I've never been fired because I haven't worked for anyone else since I was in high school.

To say that teachers are somehow different from every other person is ridiculous.

Wait so your contention is that most people do not love their jobs, but no one sees that in themselves.

That's a big claim

Oh, I've done private lessons. And I'm a public school teacher of 25+ years' duration. You're missing a real huge piece here called, for one thing, "Classroom management"

Wait so your contention is that most people do not love their jobs, but no one sees that in themselves.

That's a big claim

It's true.

Why so many Americans hate their jobs

If you have never worked for anyone else since high school, who appointed you to make those decisions about how other people feel about their jobs?

You're right--we're not necessarily special. I think your talents are kinda impressive, actually. But where most anyone who can stand on two feet could master working on an assembly line or waiting on customers at Wendy's, there's a particular mindset you need to be a teacher. When I travel and meet new folks, I almost always end up being friendly with a group of traveling teachers. We just gravitate toward each other.

That's a big claim

It's true.

SeeBS News?

So you think YOU are special for being self-employed and therefore happy with your job?

If you have never worked for anyone else since high school, who appointed you to make those decisions about how other people feel about their jobs?

I read a lot. I watch , I listen

I have been a student of people for decades.

I'm not even at school for Teacher Appreciation Day. Don't need the appreciation; do need to be with my students. But we have a family member who is pretty sick and I ended up taking him to the ER/Urgent Care last night. So, here I am.

That's a great article, first.

Second, by the end of this thread--mark it--there will be three dozen posts on how teachers exist to "indoctrinate" their students. Which in at least 95% of cases is a laughable joke. But whatever.
Yeah, I know, but I decided when I posted it that I would ignore those comments (honestly they aren't worth troubling about); this is for us. Hope your family member is feeling better.

As much as I worry about teaching, as I seem "jaded" or whatnot--I would never have chosen anything else. I love children. I love to learn. I'm intensely curious. I even like school--for the most part. heh

I'm quite passionate about the whole thing. Bad teachers can get out. But there are not as many bad teachers as people think.
You are elementary, right? I love the smell when I walk into an elementary school classroom: Chalk, tempura paint, crayons....I can't identify all the smells, but put together they smell school.

So you think YOU are special for being self-employed and therefore happy with your job?

Where did I say I was happy with my job?

And unlike you I know there is nothing special about me.

I'm just your average guy who worked to pay his bills for decades and I didn't love my job more than anyone else.

I get all my income now from property rentals and believe me when I tell you I hate being a landlord

That's a big claim

It's true.

SeeBS News?

I guess you don't understand that the article referenced a Gallup poll

https://news.gallup.com/reports/199961/7.aspx

"Most people do not love their jobs
Most people are only putting in time and doing what they have to do"

My anecdotal evidence working in the medical field says otherwise. Heck, even admin research folks love what they do. I don't even need to into doctors, nurses and apps.

Forum List

Back