J D Vance's Hillbilly Elegy Sales Soar 13,000%

Meathead

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2012
I went to two book stores the evening of the day he was announced, and they were already sold out. The employee worker there told me they were gone within 2 hours.

I have the hardcover edition but I bought three paperback editions for my grandchildren... and Netflix is showing the movie this month...

Sane people find Vance's story compelling.

Conversely the insane leftist dems find someone that lifts themselves out of difficult circumstances "weird".

Who would you rather vote for.....Someone that has been there and done that and has the t-shirt to prove it or some leftist POS that's a DEI hire?

Conversely the insane leftist dems find someone that lifts themselves out of difficult circumstances "weird".

Who would you rather vote for.....Someone that has been there and done that and has the t-shirt to prove it or some leftist POS that's a DEI hire?
It’s not that it’s “weird” - it’s admirable. As of course you know.

But the leftists HATE how a white “hillbilly” used his brains, motivation, and discipline to rise above a very poor start in life to become a success. It’s the same reason the leftists hate when I say how my dad and uncle rose from cold-water tenement slums to home ownership in less than 10 years. (One mod even MOCKED the idea that my dad was able to move from abject poverty to the middle class in less than a decade.)

And why? Because it kills their narrative that the black shoplifters and unwed mothers on welfare are in that position due to racism. They just refuse to hold blacks responsible for their own decisions, and this enable more of the same.

I have the hardcover edition but I bought three paperback editions for my grandchildren... and Netflix is showing the movie this month...

Just watched the movie a few days ago and it was really good. The left is struggling to take Vance down when his life story is one many can relate to that gives people hope.

Just watched the movie a few days ago and it was really good. The left is struggling to take Vance down when his life story is one many can relate to that gives people hope.
I've seen some hateful libs on X going after JD's Mother for her drug addiction comparing her to Hunter.... they are really freaking out this time around...

So true, and so sad that the Left wants to send the opposite message:

Republican message:
It doesn’t matter that you were born under poor circumstances. With the right drive, ability, discipline, and intelligence, you can rise to very high levels of success. Black, white, Jewish, whatever: you can move from the cotton fields of South Carolina, the moonshine fields of Kentucky, or the tenement slums of the Lower East Side….America is a great country where opportunity abounds for all. (And people like Tim Scott, Ben Carson, and JD Vance prove it.)

Democrat message:
if you were born poor, and you’re black, the only way you can succeed is if someone favors you for a job due to DEI policies because whitey is racist. If you’re white, and born in Appalachia, you’re just “a moron in flyover country,” so you better know your place and stick to it.

The next Vice President's book "Hillbilly Elegy" which was already a best seller sales skyrocketed at a truly astronomical rate.

MAGA!

It a good book. The movie was meh, but the book is great.

Twisted terrorist democrats are trying to sell that Vance came from a wealthy family because he went to Yale.

Twisted terrorist democrats are trying to sell that Vance came from a wealthy family because he went to Yale.
And we can count on far too many of the brainwashed to fall for it.

I’d like to see his book as required reading for every 10th grader - instead of the books on oral sex, white man bad, and transgender stuff - to show how America is the Land of Opportunity for even those born under the poorest of circumstances.

So true, and so sad that the Left wants to send the opposite message:

Republican message:
It doesn’t matter that you were born under poor circumstances. With the right drive, ability, discipline, and intelligence, you can rise to very high levels of success. Black, white, Jewish, whatever: you can move from the cotton fields of South Carolina, the moonshine fields of Kentucky, or the tenement slums of the Lower East Side….America is a great country where opportunity abounds for all. (And people like Tim Scott, Ben Carson, and JD Vance prove it.)

Democrat message:
if you were born poor, and you’re black, the only way you can succeed is if someone favors you for a job due to DEI policies because whitey is racist. If you’re white, and born in Appalachia, you’re just “a moron in flyover country,” so you better know your place and stick to it.
JD Vance's family moved away from Appalachia two generations before JD Vance was born.

And we can count on far too many of the brainwashed to fall for it.

I’d like to see his book as required reading for every 10th grader - instead of the books on oral sex, white man bad, and transgender stuff - to show how America is the Land of Opportunity for even those born under the poorest of circumstances.
Wouldn't that book get censored for couch copulation?

JD Portnoy has a complaint.

JD Vance's family moved away from Appalachia two generations before JD Vance was born.
His grandparents moved from Appalachia to Ohio after WWII. They retained, practiced and passed on Appalachian values. That's what the book is about. It's a commentary about the poor working class culture.

Forum List

Back