J-Walking, ok or not?

Perfectly safe to do so, is j-walking acceptable?

• Total voters
If the intention is to insinuate individual action fits individual judgment, not only is it 'OK, but it is unavoidable.

The intent is to compare one culture vs another.

Seattle vs. New York?

Why those two? Was thinking US vs Denmark actually. They're famous for not j-walking. Yet, with admittedly very limited responses so far, we're making the case that it's acceptable to j-walk under perfect conditions. They wouldn't agree. Goes to a vastly different, argueably reversed cultural standard. We're patriarchal, they're more a hybrid or as many say matriarchal.

Get more into it when I have more time but got a major bakeday today.

Because in Seattle and out that way, people actually do weird shit like wait for the "walk" light even if there's no traffic. You don't see that in the East. We just go at will.

Can't see how that relates in any way to patriarchy/'matriarchy, but Seattle would be more Scandinavian, DNA-wise...

Some traffic lights would appear to be as intelligent as some people.

If the intention is to insinuate individual action fits individual judgment, not only is it 'OK, but it is unavoidable.

The intent is to compare one culture vs another.

Seattle vs. New York?

Why those two? Was thinking US vs Denmark actually. They're famous for not j-walking. Yet, with admittedly very limited responses so far, we're making the case that it's acceptable to j-walk under perfect conditions. They wouldn't agree. Goes to a vastly different, argueably reversed cultural standard. We're patriarchal, they're more a hybrid or as many say matriarchal.

Get more into it when I have more time but got a major bakeday today.

Because in Seattle and out that way, people actually do weird shit like wait for the "walk" light even if there's no traffic. You don't see that in the East. We just go at will.

Can't see how that relates in any way to patriarchy/'matriarchy, but Seattle would be more Scandinavian, DNA-wise...

Here there's rarely sidewalks let alone crosswalks. Busy 5 lane road in front of the apartments I often have had to Frogger my way across. At 3am when those late night munchies hit you can crawl across, but during the day you have to haul ass.

in boone its wide open....everyone does it....its expected....now drive a wee bit north to va....and you best not even think about it....but in va....if you even glance at a crossing...traffic stops....i didnt realize i was standing next to the crossing...one of those midway down the block things...till all the traffic stopped....the worse part...i didnt wanna cross the road....but i did ....

There's nothing wrong with jaywalking.

Until you get ticketed or run over.

Some observations on j-walking from foreigners in Denmark:

"2. Jaywalking is the equivalent of treason. The best way to stand out as a foreigner is to jaywalk, so you just don’t do it."
Observations about Denmark The Daily Californian

"Copenhagen street shut down by police, due to inconsiderate jaywalking family."
vhJNJOR.jpg

Awww!

"That sense of responsibility can extend to ethical matters, as well. Remapping Debate asked Per Jørgensen, a college student in Copenhagen, what he thought his responsibilities were as a citizen. He mentioned voting and knowing about politics, but he also said that it was important not to take advantage of the rest of the society, noting that even small infractions, such as jaywalking — known in Denmark as “burning the red” — are considered taboo.

“If you’re going to burn the red, be careful that there is nobody around with children, because they will be upset that you are setting a bad example,” he said."
Being a citizen Danish style Remapping Debate

"
2. Don't Break Rules

As mentioned, there is only one proper way to act in Denmark under most circumstances. Danes in general are disciplined rule-followers, so don’t you dare to jaywalk across a street. Courteous behavior is expected from everyone, be they local or tourists. If you break the rules, expect to be admonished in a most civil manner."
Ten Things Not to Do When You Travel to Denmark

Ya just don't see this sort of ultra-lawfulness here in the US. Though I'd love to see if a visiting Dane walked over a mile out of their way to the nearest crosswalk outside my apartment to cross the road. :)

And I'm not sure it really is ultra-lawfulness as very surprisingly, Denmark has a very high rape crime rate. 56th out of 118 compared countries at,
Countries Compared by Crime Violent crime Rapes. International Statistics at NationMaster.com
(though compared to the US in 1st place with over 80,000, Denmark's 400 is comparatively trivial.)

in boone its wide open....everyone does it....its expected....now drive a wee bit north to va....and you best not even think about it....but in va....if you even glance at a crossing...traffic stops....i didnt realize i was standing next to the crossing...one of those midway down the block things...till all the traffic stopped....the worse part...i didnt wanna cross the road....but i did ....

:lol: Those things are getting annoying, those zebra stripes accompanied by the sign stating "State law, stop for pedestrians". I saw them first in California and northern New England and they've been spreading inwardly since.

It just gives the pedestrian too much power. As a driver I hate to ever have to stop and go because it wastes fuel, so I would never use a zebra crossing until the traffic has cleared itself.

The exception is in the part of a parking lot right in front of the storefront. Anyone driving in that space deserves to be stopped. I don't mind doing it since by circling around a parking lot to save 22 steps they're already wasting fuel.

Forum List

Back