Jackson Browne Sues McCain Using Song Without Permission

thats what i thought when i heard this as well. why wouldnt it matter if a nonprofit breaks a copyright? the red cross cant make their own cartoon using mickey mouse, roger rabbit, bugs bunny, and the tick because they would be breaking copyright laws, even if they didnt want to make money off of it. i dont see how nonprofit status would come into play :confused:

Because not just anyone can sue a not for profit. Its part of there protection.

Who Can Sue a Nonprofit Board

I'm not arguing agianst the breaking of copyright laws. The campaign should have recieved permission(I suspect that wouldn't have), but this may not fly.

Last edited:
Because not just anyone can sue a not for profit. Its part of there protection.

Who Can Sue a Nonprofit Board

I'm not arguing agianst the breaking of copyright laws. The campaign should have recieved permission(I suspect that wouldn't have), but this may not fly.

so what is stopping nonprofits from breaking all copyright laws? how can they be punished?

(didnt learn this stuff in my business law classes. wonder why)

so what is stopping nonprofits from breaking all copyright laws? how can they be punished?

(didnt learn this stuff in my business law classes. wonder why)

Their not for profit staus can be revoked. I don't believe that McCain for America can be classified as Not for profit anyway. I believe Campaigns are classified as IRC 527. This makes them eligible to be sued by Browne. So back to my original recomendation. Settle and settle fast.

Their not for profit staus can be revoked. I don't believe that McCain for America can be classified as Not for profit anyway. I believe Campaigns are classified as IRC 527. This makes them eligible to be sued by Browne. So back to my original recomendation. Settle and settle fast.

You have learned well, grasshopper. ;)

If you're not making any money from the playing of the music....how is anyone getting ripped off?

You need to go back and read the thread. An artist's work can't just be used by someone without permission. It's not necessarily about getting "ripped off". It's about control over one's property.

If you're not making any money from the playing of the music....how is anyone getting ripped off?

It's an unintended endorsement by the artists whose music is not the campaign fodder of politicians. Deal with it. go call up the Right Brothers. I'm sure they could use a job this far beyond their 15 minutes...

You need to go back and read the thread. An artist's work can't just be used by someone without permission. It's not necessarily about getting "ripped off". It's about control over one's property.

Do I need to seek their permission before listening to it?

Not listening... using. Please go read the thread. You're asking question that would easily be answered if you do.

I've read the thread. Every word of it.

Hopefully they'll continue to "use" the song.

So long as they're not profitting from it....I couldn't care less. I doubt a jury will either.

I've read the thread. Every word of it.

Hopefully they'll continue to "use" the song.

So long as they're not profitting from it....I couldn't care less. I doubt a jury will either.

In other words, you don't understand the copyright issue. That's cool...

And a jury will have to follow the law.

In other words, you don't understand the copyright issue. That's cool...

And a jury will have to follow the law.

Actually.....juries don't have to follow the law, if they believe the law to be unjust.

And yes...I understand the copyright law. I also understand that many believe it to be a joke.

Isnt McCains campaign NON PROFIT??? thereby standing nothing to gain?? Going after major political figuare is a winding slippery slope to nowhere..............

Actually.....juries don't have to follow the law, if they believe the law to be unjust.

And yes...I understand the copyright law. I also understand that many believe it to be a joke.

Actually, that's not true. And after years of posting, and dealing with people, and spending a lot of time getting paid to litigate, I can tell you that the people who whine about jury nullification never have the guts to actually tell a judge that they wouldn't follow the law. And they actually do try to follow the law once they're seated. You see, most people, despite bitching and moaning about jury duty, really do take their obligations seriously once faced with real people telling their stories.

I'm not sure who *you* think believes the copyright laws to be a joke, but I can tell you that the owners, and the courts, take them VERY seriously.

Besides doesnt Jackson Browns record label own the rights to his music(unless Jackson Brown owns said recording label)???After a laps of time(statue of limitations) the artist loses all rights to music label if im correct??? I used to be in recording, just trying to make sense of it all..........I will dig deeper

Forum List

Back