Jann Wenner Removed from Rock HOF

If the book is about masters the founder of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame didn't identify black or female Masters because there weren't any.

Bullshit.

Jimi Hendrix?

How about Carol Kaye? Probably the single most recorded bass player in all of history.

This goes along with complaints that there are no black or female old masters of art. Recently there was a complaint that a movie about 17th century Denmark didn't have black actors.

I got one for you.

James "Blood" Ullmer.

His album "Black Rock" is a classic.

Here he is in Europe being highly political.

Bullshit.

Jimi Hendrix?

How about Carol Kaye? Probably the single most recorded bass player in all of history.

I got one for you.

James "Blood" Ullmer.

His album "Black Rock" is a classic.

Here he is in Europe being highly political.

Wenner never said there were no black rockers. He said they were not masters. I never heard of Carol Kaye or James Ullmer. Jimi Hendrix was popular but certainly no master.

How can anyone define a "master" anyway?
I preferer the term TRAIL BLAZER!!!!
Robert Johnson
Chuck Berry
Little Richard
B.B. King
Jimmi Hendrix

Those dudes paved the way!
Black guyyyyyyys.

Yay, I get virtue signaling points now, right?
:rolleyes:

Wenner is a POS

The guy wrote a book about what he wanted, the R&R HOF Masters like legends Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, John Lennon, Bruce Springsteen and Bono. Then gets criticized for not making it the politically correct book THEY wanted even though there ARE no women or black artists that quite rise to that level of musical and commercial success though there are some good ones like Janis Joplin.

But the real crime here is that rather than stand by his decision, he APOLOGIZED for it, conceding their point was more valid than his own, despite it being HIS book about who he saw as the legends of R&R.
I am just listening to an interview with this guy. He mentions Janis Joplin. She could not articulate the musical theories upon which her music was based. He was expressing that much more than simply playing an instrument went into being a master of the craft.

He is correct.

How can anyone define a "master" anyway?
I preferer the term TRAIL BLAZER!!!!
Robert Johnson
Chuck Berry
Little Richard
B.B. King
Jimmi Hendrix

Those dudes paved the way!
Black guyyyyyyys.

Yay, I get virtue signaling points now, right?
:rolleyes:

Wenner is a POS
They weren't masters. Wenner was using additional criteria in separating masters from the popular.

They weren't masters. Wenner was using additional criteria in separating masters from the popular.
It's all subjective; there is no criteria unless you are citing influences, imo.
This is just another case of race and politics being where it's not belonged, sadly.

You are confused Moon Bat.

He understand how dumb Blacks are. It is called reality. Go look it up.
You will eventually end up facing the same thing.

Do not misunderstand me, I am not threatening you in any way. I'm saying that eventually you will make a statement like that somewhere other than an anonymous message board and people will notice. You could lose a job, friendships, who knows what.

I guess his controversial comments struck a nerve with the Hall of Fame executives.

No he was seen as 'politically incorrect' which these days is a cardinal sin. I'm pretty sure he didn't hurt anybody's feelings.

A few decades ago he would be allowed his opinion and allowed to pick his nominees for whatever even if they were all white and male. And the rest of us could strongly disagree and perhaps discredit his opinion by illustrating why he was wrong and who else deserved to be included.

For instance among the earliest rock n rollers who can dismiss Little Richard, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Louis Armstrong, The Platters et al as 'masters' of their time? In truth black female artists of that early era are harder to remember. Does that make me sexist to say that?

But of the women of early rock n roll, Connie Francis, Brenda Lee, The Supremes, and a few others probably head the charts among the earliest rock n roll artists. And yes, Janis Joplin belongs there too.

I wish America would get back to honest argument about these things instead of demanding everybody be politically correct or else.

Forum List

Back