Japanese car makers join forces

Captain Caveman

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2020
England

Three of Japan's biggest car makers have shunned electric vehicles and vowed to achieve carbon neutrality by developing cleaner internal combustion engines (ICE).

Toyota, Mazda and Subaru announced in Tokyo this week they will commit to bringing to market smaller engines to use alongside hybrid technology and adopt green biofuels to lower vehicle emissions.

In short, looks like my future vehicle will be Japanese!!

That is good news for everybody. It's all about having a choice among different approaches, and also to have the choice to say that you think the global warming hysteria is B.S. and you don't care to save the planet right now.

I have a Tesla Model 3 and a Dodge Journey, both of which exactly meet my needs. My only disappointment with the Tesla is that I can shift gears, which is part of the driving experience that I enjoyed.

Three of Japan's biggest car makers have shunned electric vehicles and vowed to achieve carbon neutrality by developing cleaner internal combustion engines (ICE).

Toyota, Mazda and Subaru announced in Tokyo this week they will commit to bringing to market smaller engines to use alongside hybrid technology and adopt green biofuels to lower vehicle emissions.

In short, looks like my future vehicle will be Japanese!!
And it will be a hybrid with one of their new e-fuel compatible engines, electric motors and a big Li-Ion battery. Sounds good. Enjoy. One question: Where are you going to buy e-fuel?

Just like before charge points, where would you charge? A charge point station. Did they bring out charging stations and then invent the EV? So as time and technology progresses, an e-fuel garage.
Do you mean an e-fuel gas station? I don't go to a garage to buy gasoline.

Do you mean an e-fuel gas station? I don't go to a garage to buy gasoline.
No, we have garages / petrol stations / forecourts etc.. in the UK. Things like hydrogen, oxygen, helium etc.. is a gas.

Basic science states solids, liquid, and gas.

No, we have garages / petrol stations / forecourts etc.. in the UK. Things like hydrogen, oxygen, helium etc.. is a gas.

Basic science states solids, liquid, and gas.
I hadn't realized you were speaking British. Mea culpa.

In 2023, Toyota sold 11.2 million cars. Of that, some 104,000 were electric, just under 1%.

That confirmed to Toyota that the EV is a dead idea and why they're busy developing an ICE engine that's carbon free.

And I don't blame them, because there's less than 1% of the population stupid enough to throw their money away, the market dictates what people want, not governments.

In 2023, Toyota sold 11.2 million cars. Of that, some 104,000 were electric, just under 1%.

That confirmed to Toyota that the EV is a dead idea and why they're busy developing an ICE engine that's carbon free.

And I don't blame them, because there's less than 1% of the population stupid enough to throw their money away, the market dictates what people want, not governments.
And is the fuel that this carbon-free ICE-powered car will run on widely available?

Google tells me that their new engines will run on liquid hydrogen, biofuels, and synthetic fuel. None of those are widely available.
Don't get me wrong, I have always thought hydrogen was a better way to go but the problem is that we already have a very extensive electrical infrastructure. Toyota is a smart company and I hope they can pull off what they're trying to do. But if recent battery developments (some of which are Toyota's) come to fruition: >750 mile range with a ten minute charge time and no rare earth elements, it will be a very difficult lead for hydrogen to overcome.

Google tells me that their new engines will run on liquid hydrogen, biofuels, and synthetic fuel. None of those are widely available.
When the first EV was made, how many charging stations existed, and if someone can achieve the holy grail engine that uses water !

When the first EV was made, how many charging stations existed, and if someone can achieve the holy grail engine that uses water !
But electrical infrastructure was extremely widespread. When I asked you if those fuels were widely available, you said "Yes". Why did you lie? Did you think I wouldn't check?

Forum List

Back