🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Jeb Bush Assails Obama on Removing Cuba From Terror List

Jeb is a Florida Republican.

Why is it surprising that he's still on the "cuba is evil" train? That's the political base he's focused on for decades.
He's supposed to be a presidential candidate – as in president of all of America, not just Florida; this is the rhetoric of someone running for Florida governor, not president.

Old habits are hard to break. Flipping on this would be seen as worse, the way we perceive politics in this country.

Any serious reasons why having a relationship with Cuba is a good thing yet?
Since Cuba is still harboring convicted American terrorists, there isn't much of an upside.

Cuba hasn't given a single concession. Not one change. All those people who think there will be business opportunities will be crushingly disappointed. The Cuban people will be no better off than they are now.

Why is it surprising that he's still on the "cuba is evil" train? That's the political base he's focused on for decades.
Actually that would be counterproductive to Florida's benefit, as we would have the most economic gain from it.
We already have several companies with granted permits to operate ferry services

I think you misunderstand me.

Normalizing relations would be very good for Florida - but for the last 30 years or so, even suggesting something like that would be political suicide for a Republican in Florida - if not causing a straight up assassination.
Agree

Florida has the most to gain by normalizing relations with Cuba
Most Cuban tourists come to Florida

Actually that would be counterproductive to Florida's benefit, as we would have the most economic gain from it.
We already have several companies with granted permits to operate ferry services

Normalizing relations would be very good for Florida - but for the last 30 years or so, even suggesting something like that would be political suicide for a Republican in Florida - if not causing a straight up assassination.
Agree

Even though I'm quick to admit that there's money to be made, I'm not seeing a long-term"greater good" for the US in the long haul

It's no secret that the Kennedy brothers were obsessed with Cuba. Even though Cuba was a sovereign independent country it seems that JFK's strange brother Bobby, whom he appointed as A.G. to cover his ass, spent way too much of the taxpayer's time plotting to assassinate Castro. The Kennedy brothers finally illegally used the CIA to recruit, train and equip a Cuban invasion army and then JFK lost his nerve at the Bay of Pigs. Maybe Cuba still has records of the strange journey of Lee Oswald after he was welcomed back to the U.S. by the CIA and the CIA lost track of him after he deserted from the Military and renounced his citizenship.

Agree

Even though I'm quick to admit that there's money to be made, I'm not seeing a long-term"greater good" for the US in the long haul

You're looking at it from the wrong perspective.

What is the "greater good" in keeping the current policies?

They haven't worked, that much is clear.

He's supposed to be a presidential candidate – as in president of all of America, not just Florida; this is the rhetoric of someone running for Florida governor, not president.

Old habits are hard to break. Flipping on this would be seen as worse, the way we perceive politics in this country.

He could have just shut up and said nothing, or at least not put his foot in his mouth by conflating 'repression' and 'terrorism' hoping nobody would notice. Not to mention, if he's gonna run for POTUS he has to play to all 57 states, not just Florida.

Anyway I think you may be overestimating the Florida Factor Doc. That contingent is really dying off and irrelevant any more, at least that's been my impression. If you recall the Ozzie Guillen kerfufffle -- it was all astroturfed "protest" by old geezers. That particular sentiment in Florida has been on life support almost as long as Terry Schaivo.

Agree

You are being over dramatic

There is also no "greater good" from maintaining an outdated embargo. This nonsense should have ended thirty years ago

Jeb's just trying to get on the good side of hard core Republican primary voters that aren't going to vote for him anyway. He's wasting his breath, IMO.

Agree

You're looking at it from the wrong perspective.

What is the "greater good" in keeping the current policies?

They haven't worked, that much is clear.
It's worked, in the sense that we haven't been pumping money into Castro's bank accounts.
And that's one thing I see coming down the road.
Now Cuba is wide open to receive"foreign aid" from US

Forum List

Back