Jerry Brown Sworn-IN!!!

Newcomer relocation guides for California communities, school and SAT scores. McCormack's Guides to Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Sacramento, Los Angeles, San Diego & Orange County - Commute

School Buses

After Prop. 13, the tax-cut revolution of 1978, school busing throughout California was drastically curtailed. To this day, many districts do not provide it. Those that do will sometimes charge parent. Check with the local school districts.

So, your point is that Jerry Brown is going to drive school busses for free?

Reagan raised taxes on Californians folks.

Prop 13 sucked the budget surplus out of Californias coffers.

Jerry Brown was not responsible for prop 13.

Oh.Gawd.You.Are.Dumb.

Prop 13 enabled lower and middle income people to stay in their houses instead of being forced to move just so the government could spend even more money in a wasteful fashion.

Yes it did (actually older people on a fixed incomes were those losing their homes); I'll give you a half-truth on this one.
The other half of the story is much more interesting. Business, Industry, and that includes large apt. houses all benefited too AND business and Industry does not change ownership of real property very often. So the Banks, Southern Pacific, large grocery chains, etc etc. are still benefiting from prop 13. The home owners used as a prop. for prop 13 are long dead or have moved and their property has now been reassessed at the current market value.
SEE, one more example of the RW Republican Fringe lying, a liar by omission is still a liar.

Gawd.You.Are.Dumb.

Renters and consumers benefited. If Property Taxes Increase, landlords pass along that increase to their tenants. If a Grocery Store's Property Taxes Increase, the cost will be passed along to customers.

California's Proposition 13

Five states and the Province of Alberta already get along nicely with no sales tax, so it must be possible. No state at all had a retail sales tax before 1929 (GA).

California opened its gates in 1933 with the Riley-Stuart Act, and so did several other states. It was sold as an "emergency measure," at a rate of 2%.
As late as 1977 it was 4.75%. gee I wonder why it went up after that year?
Now it is 7.25% statewide, with many cities, counties and transportation districts adding their tolls to the total, but for most of our state's existence we got along nicely with either no sales tax, or much lower rates than today. The Property Tax rate would rise to a level lower than it was before Prop. 13. Assessed Value (A.V.) of taxable property. Add that to the current 1%, and get 2.19%, compared to 2.7% before Prop. 13 - except that the 2.7% was applied to actual value, while today's assessed valuations are far below that.
The A.V. value of land is probably about 1/3 or so of market value; buildings are closer to market.

B. Greater equity: The distribution of the tax burden would shift from poor counties to richer ones.
Thus, in the poor inland counties of Fresno, Tulare, Imperial, and Stanislaus, sales tax revenues are about 1.5% of A.V.s.
In rich coastal and suburban counties of Sta. Barbara and Marin, sales tax revenues are about .75% of A.V.s.

Last edited:
If Jerry Brown defaults on obscene public employee pensions like the one Wry Catcher collects, all will be forgiven.

The elderly beneficiaries of Proposition 13 are not all dead. I encounter them every day.

Oh.Gawd.You.Are.Dumb.

Prop 13 enabled lower and middle income people to stay in their houses instead of being forced to move just so the government could spend even more money in a wasteful fashion.

Yes it did (actually older people on a fixed incomes were those losing their homes); I'll give you a half-truth on this one.
The other half of the story is much more interesting. Business, Industry, and that includes large apt. houses all benefited too AND business and Industry does not change ownership of real property very often. So the Banks, Southern Pacific, large grocery chains, etc etc. are still benefiting from prop 13. The home owners used as a prop. for prop 13 are long dead or have moved and their property has now been reassessed at the current market value.
SEE, one more example of the RW Republican Fringe lying, a liar by omission is still a liar.

Gawd.You.Are.Dumb.

Renters and consumers benefited. If Property Taxes Increase, landlords pass along that increase to their tenants. If a Grocery Store's Property Taxes Increase, the cost will be passed along to customers.
Those fools still buy into the Keynesian voodoo which claims you can make the water in the shallow end of the pool deeper, by scooping a bunch of it out of the deep end and pouring it back in at the shallow end. :lol:

1978 All libraries closed at the end of June because of Proposition 13 funding decrease. Branches reopened for circulation in August (except Niles and Irvington which opened later).

That is factually not true. The Libraries were closed to punish the people. Same thing today, no tax money so what is proposed, letting criminals out of jail to terrorize the people.

I am not an expert on the times when Jerry Brown was in office and that is the problem. You can make a statement based on fact that on the surface supports your premise. But your premise is wrong so its foolish to argue with you based on all your questions which pit the rich against the poor.

You know who suffers when the Libraries are closed, the poor.

Hence all your doing is fighting politics, your concern may be properly motivated, that I cannot know. What I do know is your not actually discussing what the problems we face are.

1978 All libraries closed at the end of June because of Proposition 13 funding decrease. Branches reopened for circulation in August (except Niles and Irvington which opened later).

That is factually not true. The Libraries were closed to punish the people. Same thing today, no tax money so what is proposed, letting criminals out of jail to terrorize the people.

I am not an expert on the times when Jerry Brown was in office and that is the problem. You can make a statement based on fact that on the surface supports your premise. But your premise is wrong so its foolish to argue with you based on all your questions which pit the rich against the poor.

You know who suffers when the Libraries are closed, the poor.

Hence all your doing is fighting politics, your concern may be properly motivated, that I cannot know. What I do know is your not actually discussing what the problems we face are.

I should of been a bit clear, if I am correct and your only arguing based on the tactic of Class Warfare, that is why you may of stated Libraries.

Gawd.You.Are.Dumb.

Those fools still buy into the Keynesian voodoo which claims you can make the water in the shallow end of the pool deeper, by scooping a bunch of it out of the deep end and pouring it back in at the shallow end. :lol:

and trickle down or voodoo economics is perfectly sound.:cuckoo:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6-grpcjspA[/ame]

even Reagans budget director called it crap.

ThinkProgress Reagan Budget Director: GOP Has Abandoned Fiscal Responsibility By Adopting ‘Theology’ Of Tax Cuts

Reagan, himself, argued that the income tax was the only levy that could generate needed revenues and provide property tax relief. Reagan's plan raised taxes $900-million. The tax increases signed by Reagan did more than close the budget gap. They kept pumping revenue into the state treasury well after the crisis was over. In fact, the tax increase piled up so much revenue into the state treasury that within a decade the state was sitting on a six billion dollar surplus or about 40% of the entire state budget at the time.

With the tax spigot turned on, Reagan, himself, could not turn it off. His measure on the special election 1973 ballot to limit spending was defeated. Tax revenue continued pouring into the state treasury after the budget crisis was past. In fact, for the five years between the defeat of the Reagan initiative to Proposition 13's tax revolt in 1978, state spending increased an amazing 12.5% a year; state revenues went up an incredible 18.4% a year. It was coming in so fast; government couldn't spend it all!

The existence of a growing surplus became a major issue in the Proposition 13 campaign. Voters were convinced government was too fat, and they voted overwhelmingly for Proposition 13.

Jerry Brown, Pat's son, inherited the governor's chair and budget surplus from Reagan. Ironically, with the treasury bursting at the seams, Brown was talking about an "era of limits."
portland imc - 2010.10.04 - Jerry Brown's first term as Governor

When Jerry Brown Was Governor, The State Had A $6 Billion Budget Surplus, Yet When He Left Office California Had A $1 Billion Deficit. Under His Administration, Spending DoubledBut When He Left The Governor’s Office, The State Budget Deficit Was Over $1 Billion. “[In 1982,] The budget surplus had evaporated into a deficit of more than $1 billion and the state’s general fund reserve had fallen from nearly $2 billion to zero
California Gubernatorial Candidate JERRY BROWN --- THE FACTS!! - TeaPAC

I guess wry's echo chamber from the left just glossed over this. It's okay....it's how he rolls. :lol:

You're a liar, a liar by omission or commission is a liar. Nice source, btw, Tea Party Nation.

wry....try arguing the facts and not the source. I'm not lying and you know it...I can't help that you have your head up Brown's ass so far you can't, or won't admit the truth. It's the echo chamber from where you hide. It's Okay, dude, I get where your coming from, like I said, it's just the way you roll. :lol:

Spending was cut you fool.

Libraries were closed, school buses sat unused, road unfixed, bridges crumbling.

There was a big fucking mess left in the wake of P13

Given that beginning in Gray Davis' reign, state spending on a per capita basis has increased at over twice the rate of inflation, I'd hate to see what the spending would have looked like before "the cuts".

Gawd.You.Are.Dumb.

ThinkProgress Reagan Budget Director: GOP Has Abandoned Fiscal Responsibility By Adopting ‘Theology’ Of Tax Cuts
Who said anything about Reagan, deflectopotamus?

Who said anything about Reagan, deflectopotamus?

this was to refute the Keynesian voodoo claim.

Since when was Reagan's' economic program significantly different?

do you even know the difference between the supply side and demand side?

Oh, I would love to read your explanation of how this works.

Please, "enlighten" us.

your probably wont even be able to comprehend either but ill humor you

Supply Side Economics / Reaganomics / Trickle Down Economics / Voodoo Economics

Supply-side economics is a school of macroeconomic thought that argues that economic growth can be most effectively created by lowering barriers for people to produce (supply) goods and services, such as adjusting income tax and capital gains tax rates, and by allowing greater flexibility by reducing regulation. Typical policy recommendations of supply-side economics are lower marginal tax rates and less regulation.

Hence you put more money into the supply side, ie the business owners and the banks in hope the the money will trickle down to the workers and middle class. But this is predicated on the idea that those in control of the money will not hold onto that money for themselves. As is the case today.

"For example, non-financial S&P 500 companies have $837 billion in cash on their balance sheets. That’s a record and is up 26% from a year ago. (My colleague Louis Basenese recently quoted a figure from Moody’s, which claims non-financial companies as a whole are sitting on $1.84 trillion in cash.)" Corporate Cash

This theory of though is what the GOP chants all the time. Give more money to the top 2% and it will trickle down to the masses.
In the United States at the end of 2001, 10% of the population owned 71% of the wealth and the top 1% owned 38%. On the other hand, the bottom 40% owned less than 1% of the nation's wealth. According to this 2006 study by the Federal Reserve System, from 1989 to 2004, the distribution in the United States had been changing with indications there was a greater concentration of wealth held by the top 10% and top 1% of the population. (http://www.iariw.org/abstracts/2006/daviesa.pdf)

Demand Side Economics / Keynesian Economics

Demand Side Economics is a macroeconomic theory based on the ideas of 20th century British economist John Maynard Keynes. Keynesian economics argues that private sector decisions sometimes lead to inefficient macroeconomic outcomes and therefore advocates active policy responses by the public sector, including monetary policy actions by the central bank and fiscal policy actions by the government to stabilize output over the business cycle. Keynesian economics advocates a mixed economy—predominantly private sector, but with a large role of government and public sector.

Hence you let the free market do its thing. But Keynesian economics does not rely solely on the free market and private enterprise. It realizes that the private sector is not always the most efficient mechanism for business to prosper, thus a well regulated industrialized society can flourish just a much as a pure free market. This can lead to a balanced society, not a "nanny-state" as many right wingers prefer to call it. Keynesian economics take into account the greed of man, and seeks to limit that. Just as the free market brought about the financial collapse of 2007 and the great depression. Well placed regulations as well as actions taken by the Fed on fiscal policy can help stabilize the economy in difficult times. The government when required can pump money back into the economy through the middle and lower classes to boost consumer spending and consumer confidence.

Now neither of these policies is perfect. Supply side does nothing to address the problem of those with the money, not using that money to hire or expand business. while demand side does nothing to address investor confidence in wanting to expand.
But we all know that supply side economics has be utterly debunked by many reputable sources, and has actually been seen to be a major cause of the wealth shift in this nation. Demand side economics has never really had a change to flourish, except in small incidences when major catastrophes have surfaced. Which funny enough, is when demand side economics have to kick in, to help the private sector.

I guess wry's echo chamber from the left just glossed over this. It's okay....it's how he rolls. :lol:

You're a liar, a liar by omission or commission is a liar. Nice source, btw, Tea Party Nation.

wry....try arguing the facts and not the source. I'm not lying and you know it...I can't help that you have your head up Brown's ass so far you can't, or won't admit the truth. It's the echo chamber from where you hide. It's Okay, dude, I get where your coming from, like I said, it's just the way you roll. :lol:

One more source and more evidence you're a liar:

Jerry Brown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As Keynesianism has proven to be an epic fail, you are wrong.

And your (I'm assuming copy & paste job) on supply side economics is partisan hackery.

Forum List

Back