Jesus Camp

Pennywise

Gold Member
Jul 25, 2013
I know this film is eight years old, but I saw it for the first time recently. Lots of thoughts occurred to me. On the surface it can seen as disturbing, but I also noted quite a bit of wisdom in a couple of the young kids who were featured. I can't relate at all to the evangelical movement, but maybe that's my problem, not theirs.

I have one question to anyone here who aligns themselves with this sect of Christianity, or just any other religious person who can shed some light-

What is the obsession with Satan? I know religious people. I have been to many services throughout my life, and I have never seen this kind of almost obsessive focus on The Devil. Any time I have ever been to church, I recall the focus being on how to be a better person through our thoughts and deeds, so this Satan stuff was a surprise.

Any thoughts?

The belief in a common enemy, delusional or not, unifies humans and makes them easier to manipulate.​

Last edited:
The belief in a common enemy, delusional or not, unifies humans and makes them easier to manipulate.​

True enough, but what I am wondering is why this focus on "the enemy"? I have not seen this kind of centralized focus before on the negative; any time I was ever at a service for some reason, the focus was on introspection, not outward influences.

I know this film is eight years old, but I saw it for the first time recently. Lots of thoughts occurred to me. On the surface it can seen as disturbing, but I also noted quite a bit of wisdom in a couple of the young kids who were featured. I can't relate at all to the evangelical movement, but maybe that's my problem, not theirs.

I have one question to anyone here who aligns themselves with this sect of Christianity, or just any other religious person who can shed some light-

What is the obsession with Satan? I know religious people. I have been to many services throughout my life, and I have never seen this kind of almost obsessive focus on The Devil. Any time I have ever been to church, I recall the focus being on how to be a better person through our thoughts and deeds, so this Satan stuff was a surprise.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for asking, Pennywise! First, I have never seen the film you are talking about.
I wish I had so I would be able to understand exactly what led you to believe that. The focus of any evangelical Christian is Jesus Christ because He is God. Our focus is on God, Pennywise. Our focus should always be on God. Not Satan, people, not our circumstances but God! All the time! I wake up and my first thoughts are about God. Through the day, I'm praising Him, worshiping Him, thanking Him, having communion with Him in prayer, when I go to sleep He is the last One I am thinking upon because I pray to Him before I sleep. My focus is on Jesus Christ. So if anyone was telling you in that film that the focus of the Christian is on Satan and not God they are seriously mistaken!

My favorite testimony about how much "attention" Satan should get from the born again Christian was given by a man named Lester Sumrall. He was a missionary to Manila, Philipines and very well known for casting our demons, teaching Spritual Warfare against Satan's Kingdom. He wrote books on the subject such as Destroying the Gates of Hell and was very keen on the strategies of Satan and how he operated just to give you an overview on this man. So one night he is laying down in bed when suddenly he senses a certain presence in the room and the Holy Spirit was perhaps letting him know .......you've got a visitor! ha! ha! So he rolls over and sees Satan standing at the edge of his bed. He looked at him and said, "Oh. It's just you." Then he rolled back over and went to sleep.

That is how an evangelical handles the devil, Pennywise. Oh. It's just you. {{{{yawn}}}}
Why? Because he is "under our feet" according to Luke 10:19. He is a "non-issue". Let others fear him and worry about him if they choose to but the born again believers fear neither Satan nor man (nor woman). We fear the LORD. That is the only One we fear! The Lord.

Last edited:

Any thoughts?

Thank you for asking, Pennywise! First, I have never seen the film you are talking about.
I wish I had so I would be able to understand exactly what led you to believe that. The focus of any evangelical Christian is Jesus Christ because He is God. Our focus is on God, Pennywise. Our focus should always be on God. Not Satan, people, not our circumstances but God! All the time! I wake up and my first thoughts are about God. Through the day, I'm praising Him, worshiping Him, thanking Him, having communion with Him in prayer, when I go to sleep He is the last One I am thinking upon because I pray to Him before I sleep. My focus is on Jesus Christ. So if anyone was telling you in that film that the focus of the Christian is on Satan and not God they are seriously mistaken!

My favorite testimony about how much "attention" Satan should get from the born again Christian was given by a man named Lester Sumrall. He was a missionary to Manila, Philipines and very well known for casting our demons, teaching Spritual Warfare against Satan's Kingdom. He wrote books on the subject such as Destroying the Gates of Hell and was very keen on the strategies of Satan and how he operated just to give you an overview on this man. So one night he is laying down in bed when suddenly he senses a certain presence in the room and the Holy Spirit was perhaps letting him know .......you've got a visitor! ha! ha! So he rolls over and sees Satan standing at the edge of his bed. He looked at him and said, "Oh. It's just you." Then he rolled back over and went to sleep.

That is how an evangelical handles the devil, Pennywise. Oh. It's just you. {{{{yawn}}}}
Why? Because he is "under our feet" according to Luke 10:19. He is a "non-issue". Let others fear him and worry about him if they choose to but the born again believers fear neither Satan nor man (nor woman). We fear the LORD. That is the only One we fear! The Lord.

Thanks for the response. Firstly, I think you might enjoy watching the film. It's on Netflix streaming and I think Youtube as well, and you would need to see it to understand the impetus of my question. This is real documentary footage of the ministry, so my asking about Satan was because of the intense focus they had on him. I don't know if that's a matter of editing (that maybe the filmmakers purposefully focused on that and not other sermon subjects), or if it's simply the focus of this ministry. I found it very strange.

If I remember it correctly, it was about the brainwashing of impressionable children. A difference between that and Jim Jones is that Jones attracted malleable and gullible adults as well as children.

One of the scenes I remember was some sort of praying to a big cardboard cut out of George Bush. Really wacky, as I remember, but then, I despise Bush.

As for satan - two points come to mind. One is that if you're able to suspend your logical mind in order to believe in a "good" god, its not much of a jump to believe in an evil god. And, a common thread in brainwashing is to name an enemy.

There are people who believe that the devil is present on earth, in the room with you, right beside you and that you must pray for protection.

I recently posted about another religious camp for kids who had some sort of misbehavior or who were gay. They were mistreated pretty badly and the camp was eventually closed only to reopen under a different name.

Pretty sad stuff and in some cases, I believe the parents could be charged with neglect or worse.

If I remember it correctly, it was about the brainwashing of impressionable children. A difference between that and Jim Jones is that Jones attracted malleable and gullible adults as well as children.

One of the scenes I remember was some sort of praying to a big cardboard cut out of George Bush. Really wacky, as I remember, but then, I despise Bush.

As for satan - two points come to mind. One is that if you're able to suspend your logical mind in order to believe in a "good" god, its not much of a jump to believe in an evil god. And, a common thread in brainwashing is to name an enemy.

There are people who believe that the devil is present on earth, in the room with you, right beside you and that you must pray for protection.

I recently posted about another religious camp for kids who had some sort of misbehavior or who were gay. They were mistreated pretty badly and the camp was eventually closed only to reopen under a different name.

Pretty sad stuff and in some cases, I believe the parents could be charged with neglect or worse.

The G W Bush thing was actually them sending prayers to the president, praying for him, not to him.

I've been to all sorts of religious gatherings in my life and I do know that some people believe the hand of Satan is on your shoulder at all times, but I've never seen this kind of focus on it. I also noted a strong focus on proselytizing, which is also something I have not seen in most other faiths, but rather that you "preach God's word" by your deeds. Talk is cheap.

I will watch it right now. Thank you for the video, Pennywise.

I have just finished watching the video, Pennywise. I am not sure how long I have been watching it? Over an hour? Two hours? I have completely lost track of time here as I listened to every single word and then took notes of which I have 12 pages - and will need to condense somewhat. I first want to be sure that I will be permitted a full response without any complaints in my doing so. What I mean by that is I want to go point for point down the line of the main presentations in the video throughout including the reference to the devil - which I find was not the focus of the video - but in all fairness - I feel I should be able to put up a video of my own in response to the radio broadcaster who was in his own way promoting the idea that evangelicals raising this generation of children were the greatest threat to America because they are somehow "off" in their beliefs. So with that, do I have your permission and the permission of others here to give my full response including the video of my own choice? Without complaints? Let me be clear the video I will counter with, I welcome others to respond to but I just expect them to respect my right to a counter response ( without demanding my own video be removed ) concerning the claims of this radio broadcaster as to where the threat to America's future is coming from.

Please let me know if I have your permission and I will give you my response. Thank you.

-Jeremiah

Last edited:
I'm condensing my response from the 12 pages of notes I took concerning the video the radio broadcaster was using as to what constitutes a threat to America. Let me know if it is acceptable for you all in my responding to this radio hosts accusation by a counter response of my own video. I will include my own pov on what I noted from the video he was concerned over. I will await your decision. Thank you, [MENTION=44683]Pennywise[/MENTION] [MENTION=32558]Luddly Neddite[/MENTION] ......

Last edited:

Any thoughts?
Christians must give attention to Satan. He is an integral part of God's plan – in fact, without Satan, you could have no salvation! If Satan had not existed, the first sin of mankind would have meant the death penalty – because the wages of sin is death. And without Satan, man would have had no excuse for his sins.

I have just finished watching the video, Pennywise. I am not sure how long I have been watching it? Over an hour? Two hours? I have completely lost track of time here as I listened to every single word and then took notes of which I have 12 pages - and will need to condense somewhat. I first want to be sure that I will be permitted a full response without any complaints in my doing so. What I mean by that is I want to go point for point down the line of the main presentations in the video throughout including the reference to the devil - which I find was not the focus of the video - but in all fairness - I feel I should be able to put up a video of my own in response to the radio broadcaster who was in his own way promoting the idea that evangelicals raising this generation of children were the greatest threat to America because they are somehow "off" in their beliefs. So with that, do I have your permission and the permission of others here to give my full response including the video of my own choice? Without complaints? Let me be clear the video I will counter with, I welcome others to respond to but I just expect them to respect my right to a counter response ( without demanding my own video be removed ) concerning the claims of this radio broadcaster as to where the threat to America's future is coming from.

Please let me know if I have your permission and I will give you my response. Thank you.

-Jeremiah

Please do. Let me say for the record, even though my first reaction to the film is bewilderment and a general sense that I have no connection with how these people praise God, I also found the radio announcer to be a verbose big mouth. I did not agree at all with his delusional fear that the US will become an evangelical government.

With that being said, I would love to read your thoughts on the film. :eusa_angel:

"Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac."

"The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other sets of people are human." - George Orwell

-Jeremiah

You have my permission.​

Thus far we have managed to keep things civil. I'd appreciate it if you could keep the snark to yourself. I for one am interested in the subject and what people think and believe about it, which is why I started the discussion. Thanks. :eusa_angel:

"Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac."

"The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other sets of people are human." - George Orwell

A powerful Dreccian once taught me- "The best way to conquer a people is to change the way they believe."​

-Jeremiah

Please do. Let me say for the record, even though my first reaction to the film is bewilderment and a general sense that I have no connection with how these people praise God, I also found the radio announcer to be a verbose big mouth. I did not agree at all with his delusional fear that the US will become an evangelical government.

With that being said, I would love to read your thoughts on the film. :eusa_angel:

Thank you, Pennywise,

I am presently condensing my response from my notes / thoughts on the film and then, lastly, I will counter the radio host with my own film. Thank you again for your permission to fully respond. I appreciate your fairness and hope others will appreciate your willingness to a balanced debate on the subject as well. I do believe we should hear from all sides. That is the very life of a debate! To hear fully both sides of the matter!

Kindest regards, Jeremiah

Any thoughts?
Christians must give attention to Satan. He is an integral part of God's plan – in fact, without Satan, you could have no salvation! If Satan had not existed, the first sin of mankind would have meant the death penalty – because the wages of sin is death. And without Satan, man would have had no excuse for his sins.

And no need to make up a good god.

Forum List

Back