Jesus “tells us to give to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s”

Yes, and the key difference is this is by FREE CHOICE and NOT imposed by the State.
THAT'S the point people seem to miss.

Even President Obama, when he finally CHOSE (by free will, not by force of law) to support gay marriage,
instead of protecting this equal choice for others to make FREELY as he did, he then made the political leap
that gay marriage should be endorsed by law. But that's NOT how HE made his choice by free will!

=========================
It is only fair to treat BOTH the beliefs for gay marriage and for traditional marriage only,
as equal beliefs. So it is NOT just a matter of the State "not imposing the traditional marriage through the State"
it is equally a matter of the State "not imposing gay marriage through the State."

I should be amazed by the number of people who can only see THEIR belief and can't respect the other.

But since this is so common, instead it amazes me when I actually find people who
treat BOTH beliefs equally as protected by law. For some reason, those people are rare,
which is sad, because that viewpoint is the one that is fair to both beliefs, and yet very few grasp that.

“It is possible to have deep and passionately-held convictions without seeking to have those convictions imposed by the State on fellow citizens who do not share them”.

Fr Iggy O Donovan calls for Yes vote in marriage referendum

It used to be possible. There was a saying, "I don't agree with what you say, but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it." It was about individual freedom to think, say, believe what ever your conviction was. It was what distinguished us from all other countries and was what enabled us to be a melting pot of diversity. That no longer applies. Now it is, "do what I say and do, or we will label you and take you down".

That question was posed to Jesus by the priests to trap him. If Christ said pay the tax burden that was being placed on the Jews by the Romans, the people would turn against him. If Christ said not to pay taxes, then the Romans would kill him.

On the coins was a picture of Caesar. Jesus was telling them to give Caesar what bears his Image, and give God what bears His image. We are made in our Father's image.
Worthless coins to Caesar, your soul to God.

Last edited:
Yes, and the key difference is this is by FREE CHOICE and NOT imposed by the State.

Even President Obama, when he finally CHOSE (by free will, not by force of law) to support gay marriage,
instead of protecting this equal choice for others to make FREELY as he did, he then made the political leap
that gay marriage should be endorsed by law. But that's NOT how HE made his choice by free will!

It is only fair to treat BOTH the beliefs for gay marriage and for traditional marriage only,
as equal beliefs. So it is NOT just a matter of the State "not imposing the traditional marriage through the State"
it is equally a matter of the State "not imposing gay marriage through the State."

I should be amazed by the number of people who can only see THEIR belief and can't respect the other.

But since this is so common, instead it amazes me when I actually find people who
treat BOTH beliefs equally as protected by law. For some reason, those people are rare,
which is sad, because that viewpoint is the one that is fair to both beliefs, and yet very few grasp that.

Bigoted beliefs don't have to be respected in law. Didn't compromise on interracial marriage or school segregation, so why should we with gay marriage?

Bigoted beliefs don't have to be respected in law. Didn't compromise on interracial marriage or school segregation, so why should we with gay marriage?

So, if a Christian stands for their belief/Faith concerning same sex marriage, they are a bigot, but those who label Christians a bigot for the Christians standing for their beliefs/Faith are not? Odd.

So, if a Christian stands for their belief/Faith concerning same sex marriage, they are a bigot, but those who label Christians a bigot for the Christians standing for their beliefs/Faith are not? Odd.

Can believe anything. Should we respect the beliefs of people who think Bigfoot's real and create wilderness areas where Bigfoot can thrive? Of course not.

Just because a stupid belief has been institutionalized doesn't mean it ceases to be a stupid belief.

Doesn't answer my question though.......or, actually it does answer my question, maybe not intentionally, but the answer is there.

Those who support things that go against Gods will are being mislead down the broad and spacious path that leads to destruction. That is every govt on earth, not 1 does the will of God-Rev 19:19, Rev 16, 2Peter 2:19
With free will granted by God to all--they can choose things against his will, but his word teaches that they will not enter his kingdom( eternal life)-- so it is a very poor choice on a scale

70-90 years of temporary pleasures----- or trillions x trillions x trillions of never ending years of pleasure----

the majority have chose wrong.

I'm not following your point. Are you saying that allowing gay marriage is imposing it? And if you don't allow it, how are you not imposing your own beliefs upon others?

freedom is all bout free will to chose..If you can't choose you have no free will...if what you chose is against the society you live in...

If the Government legalizes same sex marriage, that is imposing it's will on those who do not support same sex marriage. If those who oppose same sex marriage should win the debate, then, yes, they are imposing their will on the supporters of same sex marriage. That's how Government works.

Now, why don't we allow each State to determine if they want to oppose or support same sex marriage, rather than the Federal Government? Each side has the right to petition for their beliefs, and the outcome will always be that one side wins, and one side does not. Either way, the will of one will be imposed on the will of the other.

If the Government legalizes same sex marriage, that is imposing it's will on those who do not support same sex marriage. If those who oppose same sex marriage should win the debate, then, yes, they are imposing their will on the supporters of same sex marriage. That's how Government works.

Now, why don't we allow each State to determine if they want to oppose or support same sex marriage, rather than the Federal Government? Each side has the right to petition for their beliefs, and the outcome will always be that one side wins, and one side does not. Either way, the will of one will be imposed on the will of the other.

In a way I would agree, at least in how it applies to society as a whole. But how it applies to the individual is far different. For opponents of gay marriage they will be imposing their will upon the individual by denying gay couples the right to marry. But supporters of gay marriage would not be imposing their will upon others because it's highly doubtful that an opponent of gay marriage would enter into one. Win or lose, opponents of gay marriage do not sacrifice individual rights. That is not the case for gay couples.

Who is trying to force anything on people?

We often think of the coins with Caesars image that Jesus talked about, but what is often ignored is Jesus telling us to give God what is in God's image.

Can believe anything. Should we respect the beliefs of people who think Bigfoot's real and create wilderness areas where Bigfoot can thrive? Of course not.

Just because a stupid belief has been institutionalized doesn't mean it ceases to be a stupid belief.

Just because you think something is stupid doesn't mean it is. That's the problem with so many. They've decided something is stupid and demand everyone else do the same.

Just because you think something is stupid doesn't mean it is. That's the problem with so many. They've decided something is stupid and demand everyone else do the same.

So we should let ISIS destroy antiquity because it violates their idolatry rules, or let religious people execute those who work on the Sabbath?

I'm not following your point. Are you saying that allowing gay marriage is imposing it? And if you don't allow it, how are you not imposing your own beliefs upon others?

Forcing to recognize a redefinition of marriage is imposing it. Especially when the state's have recognized they would not.

There were no laws preventing two people from creating whatever type of relationship they wanted in the first place.

So we should let ISIS destroy antiquity because it violates their idolatry rules, or let religious people execute those who work on the Sabbath?

I support and, to the best of my ability, follow the teachings of Jesus. Not one of them says to execute people who work on the Sabbath.

Many would say deluding yourself into thinking a same sex relationship is a marriage is a stupid belief.

It's not marriage any more than a cat becomes a dog if you call it a dog.

The problem is they they don't have the necessary.understanding to determine what is stupid

Forum List

Back