Jets Rookie Speaks at Extreme Anti-Israel Conference

don't you think it reinforces anti-semitic stereotypes to imply that jewish american employers would impose some penalty or another against an employee for legitimately exercising a constitutional right in an entirely appropriate manner? it takes on an even uglier tone when the employee is a muslim and a gentile who, as an added bonus, attended catholic schools.

Once again, you don't understand the Constitution. NFL teams are private companies. They are free to impose penalties on those who make statements that the team deems to be a poor reflection on the organization. So, if an owner, Jewish or otherwise, decided to cut a player because he advocated the destruction of Israel, they could do so without violating the Constitution.

I see I need to repeat myself: It is absolutely wrong to criticize an American of Palestinian descent - or anyone else for that matter! - for supporting the Palestinan people or the establishment of a Palestinian state.

It is absolutely inexcusable for an American of Palestinian descent - or anyone else for that matter! - to be participating in activities of a group calling for the destruction of the State of Israel.

I think there is a huge difference: the man is being criticized for the latter activity, not the former. They are two very separate ideas - aren't they?

I see I need to repeat myself: It is absolutely wrong to criticize an American of Palestinian descent - or anyone else for that matter! - for supporting the Palestinan people or the establishment of a Palestinian state.

It is absolutely inexcusable for an American of Palestinian descent - or anyone else for that matter! - to be participating in activities of a group calling for the destruction of the State of Israel.

I think there is a huge difference: the man is being criticized for the latter activity, not the former. They are two very separate ideas - aren't they?

Of course they are. That won't stop certain people around here from trying to equate the two, though.

Thread has been reopened with off topic and trolling posts removed. If you wish to pursue tangents - please feel free to start a fresh thread rather than derail this one. Otherwise, let's discuss the topic at hand. :)

Coyote, I'm not going to waste my time with your "logic."

If you don't think that the "Palestine from river to sea" movement is necessarily one that advocates the elimination of Israel through violence, you are either tragically naive or deliberately obtuse.

I go back and forth on what your motivation is. Part of the time, I think you're just another typical anti-Israel bigot. Other times, I think you are just trying waaaaaay too hard to steer conversations toward the middle, at the expense of any shred of credibility.

I've spent some time analyzing these two possiblities, and reached an inescapable conclusion:

Who cares?

I'll say this for Aboushi, though. He's like any other NFL rookie - he's a kid. As a kid, he's bound to do stupid things. Another NFL kid, Tim Tebow, was scheduled to speak at a controversial church earlier this year. Becuase of his popularity, the media covered that story (while they have largely ignored the Aboushi story). Under that pressure, Tebow reconsidered and cancelled the talk.

If Aboushi learns, as he matures, that its not merely WHAT you support, but how you express your support, perhaps he could become a positive voice in these debates.

Right now, though, he is making foolish choices for a semi-public figure.

I agree with that part - however, the smear tactics in the OP, and the lack of any real evidence for their claims that he is a "radical muslim" are disgusting and largely false. To take it seriously - to support it - is to give it a credability it doesn't deserve. Would you give Stormfront credibility?

If you don't think that the "Palestine from river to sea" movement is necessarily one that advocates the elimination of Israel through violence, you are either tragically naive or deliberately obtuse.

I go back and forth on what your motivation is. Part of the time, I think you're just another typical anti-Israel bigot. Other times, I think you are just trying waaaaaay too hard to steer conversations toward the middle, at the expense of any shred of credibility.

I've spent some time analyzing these two possiblities, and reached an inescapable conclusion:

Who cares?

I'll say this for Aboushi, though. He's like any other NFL rookie - he's a kid. As a kid, he's bound to do stupid things. Another NFL kid, Tim Tebow, was scheduled to speak at a controversial church earlier this year. Becuase of his popularity, the media covered that story (while they have largely ignored the Aboushi story). Under that pressure, Tebow reconsidered and cancelled the talk.

If Aboushi learns, as he matures, that its not merely WHAT you support, but how you express your support, perhaps he could become a positive voice in these debates.

I agree with that part - however, the smear tactics in the OP, and the lack of any real evidence for their claims that he is a "radical muslim" are disgusting and largely false. To take it seriously - to support it - is to give it a credability it doesn't deserve. Would you give Stormfront credibility?

There are no "smear tactics" in the article. The article presents FACTS regarding: (1) Oboushi's participation in the conference, and (2) the nature of the organization that sponsored the conference. It then draws conclusions from those facts. Just because you don't agree with those conclusions or believe them to be overreaching does not mean the article must be discarded. Rather, you are free to draw your own conclusions based upon the facts (which nobody is contensting) that are set forth in the article.

I don't read Stormfront, so I have no comment on that site.

Who cares?

There are no "smear tactics" in the article. The article presents FACTS regarding: (1) Oboushi's participation in the conference, and (2) the nature of the organization that sponsored the conference. It then draws conclusions from those facts. Just because you don't agree with those conclusions or believe them to be overreaching does not mean the article must be discarded. Rather, you are free to draw your own conclusions based upon the facts (which nobody is contensting) that are set forth in the article.

I don't read Stormfront, so I have no comment on that site.

If you think it present's "facts" that support their claim he's "he’s a Muslim extremist" giving a talk at a "radical Muslim conference" then we are worlds apart on what constitute "facts".

Perhaps you might consider your words here: "Rather, you are free to draw your own conclusions based upon the facts (which nobody is contensting) that are set forth in the article" in light of other conversations where you summarily dismissed sources and "facts" without "contesting them".

I find this OP makes many allegations and provides next to no supporting material and contested what they've claimed about him being a "Muslim extremist".

Perhaps you can offer up some first hand evidence of this "Muslim extremism" in this young man - some quotes, behavior etc to support that. The kind of evidence you, yourself, would demand were this a criticism levied at Israel.

FYI - You don't need to read Stormfront to know what it is.

The kind of evidence you, yourself, would demand were this a criticism levied at Israel

^ And this comes from a person who doesn't see what Sunni just did as an extremist trolling?

:doubt:

I think it's wonderful the Jets have him to show all Americans on our own soil first hand what Palestinian mentality is all about that the USA & Israel have to deal with.

Right on MJB...this guy is going to play in a town where his heroes murdered 3000 innocent people and he's going to fan the flames. Real smart.

Umh...where, exactly, is there any indication that Al Queda are "his heros"

Point taken. I reread the article and it only states that he spoke at the conference. It doesn't have any quotes. I guess I was making the same assumptions I would make if someone said that you spoke at a Klan rally.

Right on MJB...this guy is going to play in a town where his heroes murdered 3000 innocent people and he's going to fan the flames. Real smart.

Point taken. I reread the article and it only states that he spoke at the conference. It doesn't have any quotes. I guess I was making the same assumptions I would make if someone said that you spoke at a Klan rally.

How is this group comparable to the Klan?

don't you think it reinforces anti-semitic stereotypes to imply that jewish american employers would impose some penalty or another against an employee for legitimately exercising a constitutional right in an entirely appropriate manner? it takes on an even uglier tone when the employee is a muslim and a gentile who, as an added bonus, attended catholic schools.

Once again, you don't understand the Constitution. NFL teams are private companies. They are free to impose penalties on those who make statements that the team deems to be a poor reflection on the organization. So, if an owner, Jewish or otherwise, decided to cut a player because he advocated the destruction of Israel, they could do so without violating the Constitution.

i understand the constitution well enough to know that the foremost legal scholars and the supreme court often disagree on its interpretation. my understanding of the constitution far exceeds your ability to comprehend what you read.

now go back and read what i said.

you may also point out exactly where oday aboushi advocated the destruction of israel, not that had he done so, firing him for such an action would, in all probability, certainly violate his constitutional rights. you really do have to move away from this "master-slave" relationship you think occurs in the workplace, at least in a "de juris" sense.

If you think it present's "facts" that support their claim he's "he’s a Muslim extremist" giving a talk at a "radical Muslim conference" then we are worlds apart on what constitute "facts".

I guess so.

Perhaps you might consider your words here: "Rather, you are free to draw your own conclusions based upon the facts (which nobody is contensting) that are set forth in the article" in light of other conversations where you summarily dismissed sources and "facts" without "contesting them".

Only I have not done so. What I have done is reject the idea that one person's accusation is to be deemed a "fact." Here, there is no dispute. He did speak at the conference, the conference is sponsored by an organization that advocates a "Palestine from river to sea" concept, the organization has connections to terrorist organizations, and it has published anti-Semitic materials. These are all facts that are not contested by anyone. If Aboushi claimed that he was not at the conference, then I'd have to consider the source that is saying he was there. But that's not the case.

I find this OP makes many allegations and provides next to no supporting material and contested what they've claimed about him being a "Muslim extremist".

I don't really like the term "Muslim extremist" either, but I do think he is "Palestinian extremist" in that he takes his support of "Palestine" to an extreme level that questions Israel's right to exist.

Perhaps you can offer up some first hand evidence of this "Muslim extremism" in this young man - some quotes, behavior etc to support that. The kind of evidence you, yourself, would demand were this a criticism levied at Israel.

In my book, anyone who would agree to speak at such a conference is guilty of extremist behavior.

Actually, before joining this forum, I had never heard of Stormfront.

How is this group comparable to the Klan?

You missed my point. I'm not comparing it or him to the Klan. As I said I made assumptions without researching. I found nothing else negative about him other than this article. I found nothing negative about the convention. If someone said "Coyote spoke at a Klan rally some would assume that you supported the Klan when in actuality you may have spoken and told them they're full of crap.

i understand the constitution well enough to know that the foremost legal scholars and the supreme court often disagree on its interpretation. my understanding of the constitution far exceeds your ability to comprehend what you read.

now go back and read what i said.

you may also point out exactly where oday aboushi advocated the destruction of israel, not that had he done so, firing him for such an action would, in all probability, certainly violate his constitutional rights. you really do have to move away from this "master-slave" relationship you think occurs in the workplace, at least in a "de juris" sense.

Sorry, but you are simply wrong. A private employer is not subject to a lawsuit under the free speech provision of the First Amendment of the United States Constitution. There are no legal scholars or judges who believe that a private employer can be sued under this provision.

Your understanding of the Constitution is nonexistent. Mine, on the other hand, is based upon a resume that humility prevents me from publishing here. Suffice to say, I know what I'm talking about.

But, hey... don't take my word for it. Go and actually read the First Amendment and see who it is directed to (I'll give you a hint: "______ shall make no law...")

Last edited:

because the ideas are seperate does not mean either one is wrong or unconstitutional.

i hear zionists call for the destruction of states all the time, the latest being syria...and then we have the old standby, iran.

also, i am really not seeing anybody calling for the destruction of israel. he mentioned the nakba. the nakba happened.

front page is a conservative, jewish and zionist propaganda paper run by david horowitz. why in the world should i believe what they imply.

because the ideas are seperate does not mean either one is wrong or unconstitutional.

i hear zionists call for the destruction of states all the time, the latest being syria...and then we have the old standby, iran.

also, i am really not seeing anybody calling for the destruction of israel. he mentioned the nakba. the nakba happened.

front page is a conservative, jewish and zionist propaganda paper run by david horowitz. why in the world should i believe what they imply.

Were you under the impression that anyone here is trying to convince YOU of anything?

I guess so.

Only I have not done so. What I have done is reject the idea that one person's accusation is to be deemed a "fact." Here, there is no dispute. He did speak at the conference, the conference is sponsored by an organization that advocates a "Palestine from river to sea" concept, the organization has connections to terrorist organizations, and it has published anti-Semitic materials. These are all facts that are not contested by anyone. If Aboushi claimed that he was not at the conference, then I'd have to consider the source that is saying he was there. But that's not the case.

I don't really like the term "Muslim extremist" either, but I do think he is "Palestinian extremist" in that he takes his support of "Palestine" to an extreme level that questions Israel's right to exist.

In my book, anyone who would agree to speak at such a conference is guilty of extremist behavior.

Actually, before joining this forum, I had never heard of Stormfront.

I think, honestly - you could have chosen a better source to make your point with. The only fact that is accurate is he spoke at the conference - even the accusation that the group itself is extremist is hardly well supported. The intent of the article is clearly defammatory - in fact, did any of them make an attempt to find talk to him? Find out what his views were? What he talked about? No. They wrote up an article full of innuendo and guilt by association. I find that disgusting regardless of who it's directed against.

Were you under the impression that anyone here is trying to convince YOU of anything?
A private employer can fire workers without giving a reason. I've seen people fired for no reason at all.

I think, honestly - you could have chosen a better source to make your point with. The only fact that is accurate is he spoke at the conference - even the accusation that the group itself is extremist is hardly well supported. The intent of the article is clearly defammatory - in fact, did any of them make an attempt to find talk to him? Find out what his views were? What he talked about? No. They wrote up an article full of innuendo and guilt by association. I find that disgusting regardless of who it's directed against.

Sigh.

I feel like I'm teaching a legal seminar today.

For a statement to be defamatory, it must be false.

As you are claiming the article is defamatory, what evidence do you have that it is false? The article cites sources regarding the organizations' publications. Do you have evidence that these sources are incorrect?

Seems that you are the one making a presumption of falsity based upon the source of the article.

Stated another way - because the article is associated with a publication you don't like, your are presuming its guilty of defamation.

Guilt by association.

Ironic, no?

Forum List

Back