Jewish History

Today in Jewish History​

• Anti-Jewish Riots in Russia (1881)
Following the assassination a month earlier of Tzar Alexander II of Russia, and the subsequent rumors that the Jews were behind the assassination, anti-Jewish riots broke out on the 6th of Iyar. The riots and pogroms lasted for four years, during which time thousands of Jewish homes and synagogues were destroyed, and countless Jews were injured and impoverished. The unrest started out in Southern Russia, and quickly spread throughout the entire country.

Tzar Alexander III actually blamed the riots on the Jews(!) and punished them by enacting new laws which further restricted their freedoms. Among these devastating laws were legislation which restricted Jews from residing in towns with fewer than 10,000 citizens, and limiting their professional employment and education opportunities.

These oppressive laws, known as the "May Laws," compelled many Jews to emigrate. They are said to have caused more than two million Jews to leave Russia, many of them opting to move to the United States of America, and the freedoms it offered.

Today in Jewish History​

• Jerusalem Walls Dedicated (335 BCE)
The rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem was celebrated with great jubilation nearly 88 years after they were destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar of Babylonia.

• Venetian Ghetto (1516)
On the 7th of Iyar, 1516, the Venetian City Council decreed that all Jews be segregated to a specific area of the city.

Venice's ghetto was surrounded by water, with a canal leading to its gates. At night the "Christian guards" patrolled the waters around the ghetto to ensure that the night curfew wasn't violated. At the same time of the establishment of this ghetto, numerous other degrading laws were enacted, including the requirement that all Jews wear yellow stars as identification.

Despite all these restrictions, the Jewish community blossomed and functioned normally. In 1797, the ghetto was abolished by Napoleonduring the course of the French Revolution.

The site chosen to accommodate the Jews had once housed the city's foundries, gettos in Italian -- and thus the eventual popularization throughout Europe of the word "ghetto" to describe the city sections where Jews were forced to reside.

• Rindfleisch Massacres Begin (1298)
Taking advantage of the state of anarchy in Germany, the result of a civil war between two contenders to the throne, a mob led by a nobleman named Rindfleisch murdered the Jews of Rottingen on April 20, 1298 (7 Iyar, 5058). Over the next few years, hundreds of Jewish communities in Germany and Austria were destroyed. Among the tens of thousands of martyrs were R. Mordechai ben Hillel and his wife and five children.

Link: 10 Anti-Semitic Myths

I love History and there is a lot of Jewish history to be learned. This is the perfect place to dig through it and unearth lots of that history which is not known.

If anyone finds any of that history they have been fascinated with, or wish others to know, please post it here.
Did you know that Jews settled in towns along the Rhine in Roman times already?

Did you know that Jews settled in towns along the Rhine in Roman times already?
YES. That area plays a VERY BIG part in jewish history. Uhm--it seems to me that jews bearing the family name ASHKENAZI are actually sephardic jews---at least that is my impression---Ashkenaz refers to "europe"---actually more like the RHINE VALLEY----very early on there were important yeshivas there.
I have been told that "RASHI" << an important scholar from France---
studied in a Yeshiva in the Rhine Valley. France at that time was----
catholic except the southern part which was occupied by arabs. The name
ASHKENAZI would mean----they were THERE sometime in their family history----probably the Rhine valley. Don't quote me---it is an impression

YES. That area plays a VERY BIG part in jewish history. Uhm--it seems to me that jews bearing the family name ASHKENAZI are actually sephardic jews---at least that is my impression---Ashkenaz refers to "europe"---actually more like the RHINE VALLEY----very early on there were important yeshivas there.
I have been told that "RASHI" << an important scholar from France---
studied in a Yeshiva in the Rhine Valley. France at that time was----
catholic except the southern part which was occupied by arabs. The name
ASHKENAZI would mean----they were THERE sometime in their family history----probably the Rhine valley. Don't quote me---it is an impression
I have been to those towns …. They are quite near my place!

Today in Jewish History​

• First Crusade Massacres Begin (1096)
In the early 1070s, the Muslim Turks commenced an offensive against the Christian pilgrims in Jerusalem. Pope Gregory VII offered his help to defend the Greek Christians, but the army he promised never materialized.

In 1095, his successor, Urban II, began to call for a holy war to liberate the Christians in Jerusalem. By the next year, more than 100,000 men had rallied to his call, forming the First Crusade. Urban and the local clergymen in Europe felt that the Crusade had another purpose as well--to annihilate all non-Christians in Europe who refused to convert to Christianity.

On their way to the Holy Land, the mobs of crusaders attacked many Jewish communities. On Shabbat, the 8th of Iyar, the Jews of Speyer (Rhineland-Palatinate), Germany were massacred. Many of the Jews of Worms, Germany were also massacred on this day; some of them took refuge in a local castle for a week before being slaughtered as they recited their morning prayers (see "Today in Jewish History" for Sivan 1).

Link: The First Crusade

Today in Jewish History​

• Jewish Books Confiscated (1510)
1,500 Jewish books were confiscated in Frankfurt am Main, Germany at the instigation of an apostate (Meshumad) on the 11th of Iyar.

• Riots in Wasilkow and Konotop (1881)
Anti Jewish riots (pogroms) continue to escalate in Russia and break out on the 11th of Iyar in Waslikow and Konotop. The Jews were blamed for the assassination of Czar Alexander II, who was assassinated by revolutionaries. The riots continued for three years across the entire Russia.

• The Battle at Deganya (1948)
The Israeli Army defeated the advancing Syrian Army, following the shelling at the entrance of Deganya, which began at sunrise and lasted nine hours. It is considered the first Israeli victory following the start of the War of Independence.

Today in Jewish History​

• Roman Jews Granted Privileges (1402)
On the 12th of Iyar, 1402, the Jews of Rome were granted "privileges" by Pope Boniface IX. They were given legal right to observe their Shabbat, protection from local oppressive officials, their taxes were reduced and orders were given to treat Jews as full-fledged Roman citizens.

Forum List

Back