John Stossel: Laws Of Economics Strike Back

AquaAthena

America First...MAGA
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 16, 2010
Central Coast
No. She, and money of the rest of us, are against the government interfering in the market for health care.

"Let's just sign this thing so we know what's in it.".( paraphrased)---Nancy Pelosi

A snip from an informative article:

Health insurers Wellpoint, Cigna, Aetna, Humana and CoventryOne will stop writing policies for all children (Six Months Later... | Michael F. Cannon | Cato Institute: Commentary). Why? Because Obamacare requires that they insure already sick children for the same price as well children.

JOHN STOSSEL: The Laws of Economics Strike Back - FoxNews.com

Yes the cold hard laws of basic economics are not the friends of the Obama administration.

So are you against Children having health care?

Yeah you dishonest lib. That's exactly what she said. Maybe you should ask that question of Obama because he is the idiot who didn't take basic econ I guess and foresee what would happen when you require and insurance company to charge the same rate regardless of the level of risk. I found this section particularily interesting

In a letter to the trade group America's Health Insurance Plans, Sebelius wrote there would be "zero tolerance" for companies that attribute "unjustified rate increases" to Obamacare. "Simply stated," she wrote, "we will not stand idly by as insurers blame their premium hikes and increased profits on the requirement that they provide consumers with basic protections."

In other words: "We have repealed the basic laws of economics. Insurance companies must now give people more but not charge them for it. If you do charge more, you must not tell your customers why. Shut up, obey, and don't complain. We are your rulers."

Last edited:
"Let's just sign this thing so we know what's in it.".( paraphrased)---Nancy Pelosi

Health insurers Wellpoint, Cigna, Aetna, Humana and CoventryOne will stop writing policies for all children (Six Months Later... | Michael F. Cannon | Cato Institute: Commentary). Why? Because Obamacare requires that they insure already sick children for the same price as well children.

Yes the cold hard laws of basic economics are not the friends of the Obama administration.

Similar to the way decency, compassion and common sense aren't compatible with the republican party.

Yeah you dishonest lib. That's exactly what she said. Maybe you should ask that question of Obama because he is the idiot who didn't take basic econ I guess and foresee what would happen when you require and insurance company to charge the same rate regardless of the level of risk.

Indeed, very dishonest.

Just as those who criticize Obama's policies are accused of Racism, those who criticize ObamaCaare are accused of wanting to harm children.

Similar to the way decency, compassion and common sense aren't compatible with the republican party.

Obviously this statement hits home for Boedicca since she felt that she needed to Neg Rep me for it. Someone has to look out for the sick children of the country since you could care less. Be Proud!

I'll be honest though. I know that republicans aren't against children having healthcare (I hope :) ). But I also know that the only type of opinion around here that matters to most people here are the extremist views, so I had to go over the top with my statement just to feel like I fit in.

Obviously this statement hits home for Boedicca since she felt that she needed to Neg Rep me for it. Someone has to look out for the sick children of the country since you could care less. Be Proud!

So go ahead and debate one line of what Stossel states...:popcorn:

Nah, I've given up debating people who obviously have no interest in real discussion. I've resorted to the preferred tactic of 90% of this site. Wild claims and accusations without any evidence to support. It's much easier this way.

I'll be honest though. I know that republicans aren't against children having healthcare (I hope :) ). But I also know that the only type of opinion around here that matters to most people here are the extremist views, so I had to go over the top with my statement just to feel like I fit in.

There is nothing extreme about what Stossel said. It's a totally objective matter about how economics works. If you assume risk on someone's behalf, which is what an insurance company does, you deserve to be compensated for that and you deserve to be compensated in proportion to the level of risk you take. What Obama is doing is trying to turn basic economics on its ear. It's not something he get's to change unfortuantely. Just as there are laws of the universe there are laws of economics. And Obama doesn't seem to get that concepts like scarcity and risk and how they affect market prices can't simply be erased from existance.

Last edited:

Nah, I've given up debating people who obviously have no interest in real discussion. I've resorted to the preferred tactic of 90% of this site. Wild claims and accusations without any evidence to support. It's much easier this way.

Well at least you admit what you say has no evidence to support it...gotta give you that one.

Did you not read the article? Another snip from it. Proving my favorite quote: "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."

"That sounds compassionate, but -- in case Obamacare fanatics haven't noticed -- sick children need more medical care. Insurance is about risk, and already sick children are 100 percent certain to be sick when their coverage begins. So if the government mandates that insurance companies cover sick children at the lower well-children price, insurers will quit the market rather than sandbag their shareholders. This is not callousness -- it's fiduciary responsibility. Insurance companies are not charities. So, thanks to the compassionate Congress and president, parents of sick children will be saved from expensive insurance -- by being unable to obtain any insurance! That's how government compassion works."

In 2014, the same rule will kick in for adults. You now know what to expect.

Don't hold your breath. He's a one note troll whose troll bag is filled solely with ad hominem attacks and misrepresentations.

Lot's of us are interested in real discussion. Real discussion to us revolves around facts like the one's Stossel has presented. We're just not getting takers on the discussion from the likes of you because your so in love with liberal ideology and this president that when FACTS turn up that contradict them your brain shuts down and you turn tale and run.

Don't hold your breath. He's a one note troll whose troll bag is filled solely with ad hominem attacks and misrepresentations.

:lol: :lol: Well some of us are getting ready for work anyway. He/she doesn't get that the whole con job of "you can keep your Dr. and your insurance company" was just a ruse until the gov can get us all on Medicaid, which is where sick children are being treated anyway, or so I believe. Blinders!!!!!

The parade of Exceptions from ObamaCare for the power and well connected has begun.

That in and of itself should whack the clueless with a reality stick.

There is nothing extreme about what Stossel said. It's a totally objective matter about how economics works. If you assume risk on someone's behalf, which is what an insurance company does, you deserve to be compensated for that and you deserve to be compensated in proportion to the level of risk you take. What Obama is doing is trying to turn basic economics on its ear. It's not something he get's to change unfortuantely. Just as there are laws of the universe there are laws of economics. And Obama doesn't seem to get that concepts like scarcity and risk and how they affect market prices can't simply be erased from existance.

And that is where the fundamental difference in opinion comes from. I like many others feel that economics and profitability should NOT be a factor in health care decisions. And when you're judging the worth of providing health care to a group of people, the first concern should not be how much will this cut in to the bottom line.

For the record, I am NOT for total government control of our lives. I am all for free enterprise and letting the market operate freely, EXCEPT when it comes to health care. I don't want peoples well being/living and dying to ever have to be decided because of dollars and cents.

Ouch! Why so Uppity? And please leave my troll bag out of this, it never did anything to you.

Forum List

Back