Judge rules against Qualified Immunity for police officer who violated man's 4th Amendment rights.

And this is an example of someone willing to surrender our rights and protected liberties for ‘security.’

If law enforcement ‘assumes’ criminal conduct, they need to take their evidence to a judge and secure a warrant consistent with the Fourth Amendment.

Indeed, in this case there was neither probable cause nor exigent circumstances – and being black is neither probable cause nor an exigent circumstance.

It had nothing to do with race. Read the OP. It clearly states that the dispatcher didn't relay the race of the people in question so they had no idea who they were going to run into.

There is no violation of rights given the court has already recognized reasonable suspicion as a reason for police to serarch.

Looks like lawsuit is BS to me. Furdge should not have sued. He was not abused while the put cuffs on for the protection of everybody involved and even checked with Furdge if the cuff fit was ok and it was. Officer were not abusive in speech. It was quickly resolved as probably proper and OK. Cuffs were removed while awaiting confirmation. By the end, Furdge was conversational and smiling while talking. Officer apologized for the intrusion. Yep. Lawsuit was BS and the judge full of BS.
We have laws against what the police did.

Do we not?

It had nothing to do with race. Read the OP. It clearly states that the dispatcher didn't relay the race of the people in question so they had no idea who they were going to run into.

There is no violation of rights given the court has already recognized reasonable suspicion as a reason for police to serarch.
What was the reasonable suspicion? That he was black?

The harm he suffered was the unlawful violations of his 4th Amendment rights.

This mindset, that he suffered no harm or worse yet, even if he did "so what" is why the police have been allowed to get away with these and even more egregious violations all this time.

Home​

Searches and seizures inside a home without a warrant are presumptively unreasonable.
Payton v. New York, 445 U.S. 573 (1980).

However, there are some exceptions. A warrantless search may be lawful:

If an officer is given consent to search; Davis v. United States, 328 U.S. 582 (1946)
If the search is incident to a lawful arrest; United States v. Robinson, 414 U.S. 218 (1973)
If there is probable cause to search and exigent circumstances; Payton v. New York, 445 U.S. 573 (1980)
If the items are in plain view; Maryland v. Macon, 472 U.S. 463 (1985).

Sorry, you lose. No constitutional rights were violated here.

What was the reasonable suspicion? That he was black?

My Lord, another public educated person here. You are responding to a post where I said THE OFFICERS HAD NO IDEA THE RACE OF THE SUSPECTS BECAUSE IT WAS NEVER RELAYED TO THEM BY DISPATCH and you ask such a stupid question.

Home​

Searches and seizures inside a home without a warrant are presumptively unreasonable.

If an officer is given consent to search; Davis v. United States, 328 U.S. 582 (1946)
If the search is incident to a lawful arrest; United States v. Robinson, 414 U.S. 218 (1973)
If there is probable cause to search and exigent circumstances; Payton v. New York, 445 U.S. 573 (1980)

A neighbor called on an African-American man doing nothing but sitting on the porch and that is reasonable suspicion?

Home​

Someone relaxing on their deck is not probable cause.

My Lord, another public educated person here. You are responding to a post where I said THE OFFICERS HAD NO IDEA THE RACE OF THE SUSPECTS BECAUSE IT WAS NEVER RELAYED TO THEM BY DISPATCH and you ask such a stupid question.
A neighbor called on a man sitting on the patio doing nothing.

Cops show up without a warrant and enter house with guns drawn based on information that a man was sitting on the patio doing nothing.

The only thing clear here ray, is your run to racism which is inline with the karen that called. If he was white, no phone call.

Clear violation of the 4th Amendment, seems pretty clear.

So does the 100K.

Talking to you leftists is like talking to the wall. I posted two sites that state it was not a violation of his Forth Amendment rights, and I get the same response as if I were discussing this with a pet dog. It's like you don't understand a thing I said.

Talking to you leftists is like talking to the wall. I posted two sites that state it was not a violation of his Forth Amendment rights, and I get the same response as if I were discussing this withy a pet dog. It's like you don't understand a thing I said.
The judges ruling not withstanding.

Was the karen who called in anyway in charge of the property? Was it in anyway her responsibility to manage it?

It doesn't have to be. If you see something suspicious, most police departments encourage citizens to call them; to get involved in fighting crime. I know our police force does.

Forum List

Back