Judge rules in gun store's favor...you can't sue someone for something they can't legally do.........

Why Shooter, that's what the judge said!
However disinterested you may be in doing so, let's look at the facts here:

The plaintiff alleged:
"... MacPherson should not have been able to purchase the gun from Chester Arms because of his history of mental illness and criminal history."

The judge said:
“To the extent (Hardy and O’Connor) contend that the Gun Line should have greater access to resources to investigate an applicant’s fitness to own firearms, the Court finds such an inquiry to be a legislative and not a judicial question,”

The judge also said:
“Further, to the extent Plaintiffs contend that Mr. MacPherson should have been denied access to a firearm based on mere allegations of his mental illness, the Court finds that such an action would have been inconsistent with federal regulation."

That is, the simple allegation of a mental illness is insufficient to legally require someone to not sell a gun to someone; nowhere does anyone, including the judge, argue that a seller is unable to make that judgement for himself, if he has reasonable cause, and subsequently deny the sale.

And so,
You either deliberately misrepresent the facts of the case, or you, again, speak from ignorance.
Let us know which.

Last edited:
Both 2A and I might be lying to you. 2A says, and I back him up:
You either deliberately misrepresent the facts of the case, or you, again, speak from ignorance.
Let us know which.

Last edited:
The gun store did all the proper background checks and they came back clean. The real issue is states not properly reporting things for the federal background check database.

A number of mass shootings over the years only happened because states didn't properly report convictions and mental health issues. The federal system relies on states reporting things that would bar people from buying and ownng weapons.

It's common sense. You can't sue someone for not doing something they aren't required to do yet somehow they get away with holding certain manufacturers responsible for the illegal use of a product.

Is that going to become the new normal?. The shooter was only a little bit crazy and a little bit of a criminal.

This would seem to have the effect of turning the police against gun stores and their owners.
Gun store owners don't have police powers. If a person passes a background check and filled out a Form 4473, then the gun store owner has done everything the law allows him to do to prevent the sell. It's the job of the police to keep the riff-raff off the street, not business owners.

If cops get mad because the gun store owners aren't doing the cops' job, then those cops that hold that view are too stupid and worthless to be cops.

Actually it appears that way.
The gun lobby is doing harm to it's own cause with it's extremist dogma in control of their minds and compromising their rational positions.

Just a little bit crazy and a little bit criminal isn't going to sit well with police that need to make a decision on their use of lethal force.

Perhaps some of the extremists of the pro-gun lobby are hoping for more use of lethal force?
That's like telling the police not to hesitate, but just kill!
Any cop that is afraid to use lethal force has no business being a cop.

The gun store did all the proper background checks and they came back clean. The real issue is states not properly reporting things for the federal background check database.

A number of mass shootings over the years only happened because states didn't properly report convictions and mental health issues. The federal system relies on states reporting things that would bar people from buying and ownng weapons.
That's why we keep saying that we don't need new laws. The current laws need to be enforced properly. Or, is the improper enforcement by design?

That's why we keep saying that we don't need new laws. The current laws need to be enforced properly. Or, is the improper enforcement by design?

Ironically, it's republican staes that keep failing to properly report. There have been at least 3 mass shootings on texas alone where the shooting had a history of mental health issues or a criminal history that would have kept them from buying a weapon legally, but their records were never reported to the federal government to be put into the background check system, and so they were able to pass checks leading up to the shooting. It happens far more in red states than blue ones. I'm not sure if it's just inept clerks, or if they are intentionally refusing. Some of the more extremist gun nuts have come out against having background checks at all. it could be that some of those people are iontentionally refusing to report records in order to undermine the system. or it could be that they are inept morons who are too stupid to do their jobs right. Either way, something needs to change.

Ironically, it's republican staes that keep failing to properly report. There have been at least 3 mass shootings on texas alone where the shooting had a history of mental health issues or a criminal history that would have kept them from buying a weapon legally, but their records were never reported to the federal government to be put into the background check system, and so they were able to pass checks leading up to the shooting. It happens far more in red states than blue ones. I'm not sure if it's just inept clerks, or if they are intentionally refusing. Some of the more extremist gun nuts have come out against having background checks at all. it could be that some of those people are iontentionally refusing to report records in order to undermine the system. or it could be that they are inept morons who are too stupid to do their jobs right. Either way, something needs to change.
One of those Texas shootings was when the Air Force failed to report a criminal history.

I would love to see a source supporting you claim that only Republican states are failing to report criminal histories.

One of those Texas shootings was when the Air Force failed to report a criminal history.

I would love to see a source supporting you claim that only Republican states are failing to report criminal histories.

I didn't say that only red states did it. Learn to read. I said that the majority of cases where a report isn't sent in occurr in red states. Plenty happen in blue states too but a hefty majority occurr in red ones.

Okay....name the 3 mass shootings.....you made the claim, now back it up...
It will be interesting to see.......

You are an idiot...but there is hope....

Let me help you....

Kelley's general court-martial guilty plea should have made it illegal for him to own, buy, or possess a firearm or ammunition. The conviction should have been flagged by NICS and prevented the purchase.[65][68] Federal law prohibits those convicted of domestic violence–even if it is only a misdemeanor–from possessing firearms.[69][70]

However, the Air Force failed to relay the court-martial convictions to the FBI. In a statement admitting the oversight, the Air Force said, "Initial information indicates that Kelley's domestic violence offense was not entered into the National Crime Information Center database by the Holloman Air Force Base Office of Special Investigations."[5][71]

There.....you do the rest....

I didn't say that only red states did it. Learn to read. I said that the majority of cases where a report isn't sent in occurr in red states. Plenty happen in blue states too but a hefty majority occurr in red ones.
Ok, let's see your source for that, because most arrests are done by county and city cops, not so much with state police.

Yeah........put up the evidence......

Link to that stat?

Can you demonstrate this to be true?

Forum List

Back