🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Judicial Watch Sues over California Law Requiring Presidential Candidates to Submit Tax Returns

Of course they are harmed. They are being prevented from voting for the candidate of their choice because of some arbitrary whim of the state government.

That happened in 39 states last election for every one that wanted to vote for Evan McMullen
He was kept off the ballot because he didn't follow the prescribe procedure for getting on the ballot.

Which would be the case in Cali also.
This criteria is not of the same category as "you didn't get the required number of signatures on your application." This is of the nature of "your skin is the wrong color" or "you don't own any property."

That is your opinion. We will see if the courts agree.

I do not agree, I cannot chose to change my skin color, but I could agree to show my taxes
How about if you are a Muslim? You can change your religion.

This law will get tossed by the courts state law does not overrule federal law and there is no federal law requiring one to release their tax returns as a requirement to run for President.

I don't think it will stand but there is no requirement that a candidate get X amount of signatures either but that is how it works.
That's to reasonably limit the pool so they don't have to print 10-page ballots with everybody on it who has no chance in hell to get more that 100 votes.

That is a completely different issue.

This law will get tossed by the courts state law does not overrule federal law and there is no federal law requiring one to release their tax returns as a requirement to run for President.
The argument they are going to try and make is that it is an application requirement of some sort. The CLEAR political motivation behind the requirement is likely going to be the deciding factor.

I think the previous ruling on state imposed term limits will decide this case.

The argument they are going to try and make is that it is an application requirement of some sort. The CLEAR political motivation behind the requirement is likely going to be the deciding factor.

economic motivation affects the several States.

I don't think it will stand but there is no requirement that a candidate get X amount of signatures either but that is how it works.
That's to reasonably limit the pool so they don't have to print 10-page ballots with everybody on it who has no chance in hell to get more that 100 votes.

No it isn't. Your argument was if it wasn't in the Constitution, it isn't allowed.

Privacy will. Tax returns have always been considered private.

Not for a Public office.

No it isn't. Your argument was if it wasn't in the Constitution, it isn't allowed.
That was not my argument.

California is trying to force a candidate to disclose private financial information as a condition of being on the ballot.

It has nothing to do with the practicalities of ballot qualifications for economic and efficiency purposes. How many millions of votes did Trump get last time in California?

I agree that privacy will be a huge issue.

There is not Fed law requiring a certain number of signatures as a requirement to run for President

That happened in 39 states last election for every one that wanted to vote for Evan McMullen
He was kept off the ballot because he didn't follow the prescribe procedure for getting on the ballot.

This criteria is not of the same category as "you didn't get the required number of signatures on your application." This is of the nature of "your skin is the wrong color" or "you don't own any property."

I do not agree, I cannot chose to change my skin color, but I could agree to show my taxes

Goes against the 1st Amendment

There is not Fed law requiring a certain number of signatures as a requirement to run for President
Correct. It is state law requiring a person disclose private financial information to be placed on the ballot.

We'll see how it shakes out.

Each state has a requirement to get on the ballot.

Requiring tax returns goes against the 4th Amendment.

Is this a 4th Amendment penumbra issue?

The Cooling Effect caused by disclosure of private information required?

Yes they do, and they are all legal. The question for the courts will be is if this requirement is fundamentally different.

Requiring tax returns goes against the 4th Amendment.

That is a much better argument

This is so funny to watch.

These poor Dems KNOW what his tax returns say. They just can't tell us what they say, unless Trump discloses them and they are trying EVERYTHING they can to force it.
:laughing0301:

Yes they do, and they are all legal. The question for the courts will be is if this requirement is fundamentally different.
They tried to get a requirement that you couldn't get on the ballot if you had already held that office for a certain number of terms. The SC shot that down. There's a difference between establishing a minimum criteria to determine who is a serious candidate, and an arbitrary requirement imposed for political considerations.

Not for a Public office.

I know of no office that requires them. If I'm wrong, point it out.

Forum List

Back