Just 51,000 people have enrolled in Federal Obamacare exchanges???

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
Nearly two weeks ago, Obamacare opened for business, opening "exchanges" where people could sign up for it.

"Could" might be too nice a word. Participation is MANDATORY, with Federal law imposing stiff penalties if you don't sign up.

Now the numbers are starting to trickle out: Almost nobody is signing up, even with threats of penalties and IRS crackdowns hanging over their heads.

It looks like the grim facts are proving true, despite rosy media predictions: THE AMERICAN PEOPLE DON'T WANT OBAMACARE, AND NEVER DID.

How many of the nonexistent signups, are due to the huge problems and glitches in these "exchanges"?

OTOH, how many people took a look at the huge problems and glitches, and said, "Forget it, I'm not signing up for something that poorly run!"?

How many of the signups they DID get, are people who tried to sign up once, ran into glitches and crashes, and came back later to try again, start from scratch, and wound up signed up twice? Or three times? Or ten?

And how many never wanted to sign up for something that charges such high prices for the diminished service Obamacare offers, in the first place?

Almost as odd, is the fact that the signup numbers are such a "trickle". When asked how the signups are going, Federal officials keep saying they don't know, they don't have the information. Yet the employees of the exchanges, have all that info at their fingertips, and are telling reporters about it.

Do the top official have THAT poor communication with their own employees? Or are they simply afraid to admit the truth: That Obamacare is provinto be a huge flop? That even when threatened with penalties, people still don't want to sign up?

----------------------------------------------------

Oh My: Just 51,000 Americans Have Enrolled in Federal Obamacare Exchanges? - Guy Benson

Oh My: Just 51,000 Americans Have Enrolled in Federal Obamacare Exchanges?

Guy Benson | Oct 11, 2013

Remember, the Obama administration has been pretending that they don't have this data, which nobody believes. They've been sitting on it because it's super-embarrassing and underscores the magnitude of their failure and incompetence. Sadly for Sebelius & Co., the media has these things called "sources," and the UK Daily Mail gives the world its first glimpse of Obamacare's trainwreck-by-the-numbers. Wow:

Just 51,000 people completed Obamacare applications during the first week the Healthcare.gov website was online, according to two sources inside the Department of Health and Human Services who gave MailOnline an exclusive look at the earliest enrollment numbers.

The career civil servants, who process data inside the agency, confirmed independently that just 6,200 Americans applied for health insurance through the problem-plagued website on October 1, the day it first opened to the public.

Neither HHS nor the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services would comment on the record about the numbers. Enroll America, the president's organization of health care 'navigators' who are charged with helping Americans sign up, didn't reply to a request for information about its level of success so far. The White House also did not respond to emails seeking comment.

But several administration officials have claimed this month that they didn't have access to the kinds of raw figures MailOnline obtained from the people who work for them. And the anemic totals suggest a far lower level of interest in coverage through the Affordable Care Act than the Obama administration has hoped to see.

A devastating paragraph. First of all 51,000 people out of the entire combined populations of 36 states is microscopic. It's a rounding error. It's as if a sold-out Yankee Stadium signed up -- and nobody else. In a nation of 300 million.

Questions: Of the lucky 51,000, how many aren't actually signed up, thanks to another related snag? And how many are duplicates?

The British paper also smacks down the White House's obvious lie that they aren't aware of these numbers. The figures were provided to the press by people who report to the very officials who say they don't have access to them.

At the state level, potential enrollees' experiences have varied, though not even the uber-prepared state of Maryland has met with much success. In Iowa, home to a hybrid state/federal exchange, five people have signed up. In Hawaii, which runs its own exchange, zero people have obtained coverage.

The Mail article suggests that public interest in Obamacare is unsustainably low, given the enrollment levels required to keep the program afloat. I think that's a premature conclusion. How many people have tried to sign on and failed due to all the glitches and crashes?

Well, even if glitches prevent a person from enrolling, said person is still subject to the fine-tax-penalty fee. And that's all that matters.

Hopenchange!

[sigh]

How many of these topics about the 51,000 are there going to be? Is there some mass email urging you to do this? A firebell over your beds? What?

28,000 in Cal. Sign Up for Affordable Care Act Insurance

N.Y. Says 40,000 Have Applied For Affordable Care Act Coverage

Gee, just two states and we are already up to 68,000!

Add the 51,000 on the FEDERAL web site, and then all the people who signed up on all the other state web sites, and we are well over 100,000 in the first week, even with bugs that are to be expected for any start-up.

You fools are making a serious mistake by extrapolating failure from a static snapshot taken in the first week of ONE access point to the ACA system.

Last edited:
And how many of the 20 - 30 year old supermen and superwomen figure the first years penalty is still cheaper than Obamacare? I know people in their 50's who have never had health insurance and still don't want it.

[sigh]

How many of these topics about the 51,000 are there going to be? Is there some mass email urging you to do this? A firebell over your beds? What?

Add the 51,000 on the FEDERAL web site, and then all the people who signed up on all the other state web sites, and we are well over 100,000 in the first week, even with bugs that are to be expected for any start-up.

You fools are making a serious mistake by extrapolating failure from a static snapshot taken in the first week of ONE access point to the ACA system.

Read a dictionary idiot. Theres a difference between applying for coverage and getting the coverage. Smooth move there, cap'n! The term "enroll" means they got through. The term "apply" means they never got through the enrollment process.

Last edited:
[sigh]

How many of these topics about the 51,000 are there going to be?

You fools are making a serious mistake by extrapolating failure from a static snapshot taken in the first week of ONE access point to the system.

Be assured that whether it turns out to be a small number or a big number, the inmates have already prepared a set of anti-Obamacare talking points one of which can cover either scenario.

You don't enroll in the exchange. You use the exchange to search for a private health care plan which is licensed to practice in your state. It's called capitalism. That means it's not a government take over of health care.

With that said, this is one of the reasons I don't much listen to Republicans anymore when they talk about the issues. They either don't know what they're talking about, or they misrepresent the facts. The woeful ignorance of their sycophantic follower is further evidence of that travesty of leadership.

Well, even if glitches prevent a person from enrolling, said person is still subject to the fine-tax-penalty fee. And that's all that matters.

Hopenchange!

Then there are people like me who are unemployed! Who will somehow have to grow money on a tree to pay the fine! Hopenchange is right.

:eusa_shhh:

If Georgia's fine Governor had accepted the Medicare expansion, you'd be golden.

Alas! Get thee a job and use your wages to buyeth insurance. Personal responsibility, Templar.

Hopenchange!

Then there are people like me who are unemployed! Who will somehow have to grow money on a tree to pay the fine! Hopenchange is right.

Then you'd better not enroll! They'll gather up your financial data so they can seize your bank account or house to pay the fine-tax-penalty fee.

Nearly two weeks ago, Obamacare opened for business, opening "exchanges" where people could sign up for it.

"Could" might be too nice a word. Participation is MANDATORY, with Federal law imposing stiff penalties if you don't sign up.

Now the numbers are starting to trickle out: Almost nobody is signing up, even with threats of penalties and IRS crackdowns hanging over their heads.

It looks like the grim facts are proving true, despite rosy media predictions: THE AMERICAN PEOPLE DON'T WANT OBAMACARE, AND NEVER DID.

How many of the nonexistent signups, are due to the huge problems and glitches in these "exchanges"?

OTOH, how many people took a look at the huge problems and glitches, and said, "Forget it, I'm not signing up for something that poorly run!"?

How many of the signups they DID get, are people who tried to sign up once, ran into glitches and crashes, and came back later to try again, start from scratch, and wound up signed up twice? Or three times? Or ten?

And how many never wanted to sign up for something that charges such high prices for the diminished service Obamacare offers, in the first place?

Almost as odd, is the fact that the signup numbers are such a "trickle". When asked how the signups are going, Federal officials keep saying they don't know, they don't have the information. Yet the employees of the exchanges, have all that info at their fingertips, and are telling reporters about it.

Do the top official have THAT poor communication with their own employees? Or are they simply afraid to admit the truth: That Obamacare is provinto be a huge flop? That even when threatened with penalties, people still don't want to sign up?

----------------------------------------------------

Oh My: Just 51,000 Americans Have Enrolled in Federal Obamacare Exchanges? - Guy Benson

Oh My: Just 51,000 Americans Have Enrolled in Federal Obamacare Exchanges?

Guy Benson | Oct 11, 2013

Remember, the Obama administration has been pretending that they don't have this data, which nobody believes. They've been sitting on it because it's super-embarrassing and underscores the magnitude of their failure and incompetence. Sadly for Sebelius & Co., the media has these things called "sources," and the UK Daily Mail gives the world its first glimpse of Obamacare's trainwreck-by-the-numbers. Wow:

Just 51,000 people completed Obamacare applications during the first week the Healthcare.gov website was online, according to two sources inside the Department of Health and Human Services who gave MailOnline an exclusive look at the earliest enrollment numbers.

The career civil servants, who process data inside the agency, confirmed independently that just 6,200 Americans applied for health insurance through the problem-plagued website on October 1, the day it first opened to the public.

Neither HHS nor the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services would comment on the record about the numbers. Enroll America, the president's organization of health care 'navigators' who are charged with helping Americans sign up, didn't reply to a request for information about its level of success so far. The White House also did not respond to emails seeking comment.

But several administration officials have claimed this month that they didn't have access to the kinds of raw figures MailOnline obtained from the people who work for them. And the anemic totals suggest a far lower level of interest in coverage through the Affordable Care Act than the Obama administration has hoped to see.

A devastating paragraph. First of all 51,000 people out of the entire combined populations of 36 states is microscopic. It's a rounding error. It's as if a sold-out Yankee Stadium signed up -- and nobody else. In a nation of 300 million.

Questions: Of the lucky 51,000, how many aren't actually signed up, thanks to another related snag? And how many are duplicates?

The British paper also smacks down the White House's obvious lie that they aren't aware of these numbers. The figures were provided to the press by people who report to the very officials who say they don't have access to them.

At the state level, potential enrollees' experiences have varied, though not even the uber-prepared state of Maryland has met with much success. In Iowa, home to a hybrid state/federal exchange, five people have signed up. In Hawaii, which runs its own exchange, zero people have obtained coverage.

The Mail article suggests that public interest in Obamacare is unsustainably low, given the enrollment levels required to keep the program afloat. I think that's a premature conclusion. How many people have tried to sign on and failed due to all the glitches and crashes?

So you believe the phony 48 million uninsured?
18 million are under 34 , make over $50k and don't want to spend more on employers plans.. so bogus number!
14 million are already covered all need to do is register with Medicaid!
10 million are NOT citizens!

18 million Source: CRISIS OF THE UNINSURED: 2009
14 million SOURCE: http://coverageforall.org/pdf/BC-BS_...ed-America.pdf
10 million SOURCE: US Census Bureau

So that is 42 million of the 48 supposedly million uninsured or really less then 6,000,000!

The point is ACA used phony NUMBER of 48 million "uninsured" to convince "yes" voters by 7 votes!

You don't enroll in the exchange. You use the exchange to search for a private health care plan which is licensed to practice in your state. It's called capitalism. That means it's not a government take over of health care.

With that said, this is one of the reasons I don't much listen to Republicans anymore when they talk about the issues. They either don't know what they're talking about, or they misrepresent the facts. The woeful ignorance of their sycophantic follower is further evidence of that travesty of leadership.

These same people, complaining about Obamacare's exchanges, who want Medicare coverage to be effectively sold on exchanges, aka the Romney/Ryan plan.

You are clueless.

One has to provide a ton of personal data to enroll - and the exchange stores it. It also accesses one's credit reports.

Is it really insurance?
If you are a low income earner and can only afford the lowest option - is it really health care?
$5000 deductible? That is not healthcare insurance. That is major medical only insurance.

And how many of the 20 - 30 year old supermen and superwomen figure the first years penalty is still cheaper than Obamacare? I know people in their 50's who have never had health insurance and still don't want it.

So let them pay the tax.

Obama called it a penalty....For some strange reason the Supreme Court called it a Tax....
Sometimes I wonder.....

At any rate it's still BS and it's not good for us.....(OF course that's just my opinion)

Hopenchange!

If you weren't a rightwing nut, there'd be a dozen other rightwingers on this forum who'd have already told you to

GET A JOB!

Hopenchange!

Then you'd better not enroll! They'll gather up your financial data so they can seize your bank account or house to pay the fine-tax-penalty fee.

I don't know which would kill me first, being on Obamacare, or not being on it. I'm dead either way. LOL!!

Hopenchange!

If you weren't a rightwing nut, there'd be a dozen other rightwingers on this forum who'd have already told you to

GET A JOB!

And since you are a left wing lunatic like I know you are, there would be a bunch of small government right wing nuts like me telling you to

MIND YOUR OWN FUCKING BUSINESS YOU DAMNED MOONBAT!

Anything else?

Forum List

Back