Just 7 percent of journalists are Republicans.

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
Just 7 percent of journalists are Republicans. That’s far fewer than even a decade ago.

BY CHRIS CILLIZZA
May 6 at 12:52 pm

A majority of American journalists identify themselves as political independents although among those who choose a side Democrats outnumber Republicans four to one, according to a new study of the media conducted by two Indiana University professors.

Write Lars Wilnat and David Weaver, professors of journalism at Indiana, of their findings:

Compared with 2002, the percentage of full-time U.S. journalists who claim to be Democrats has dropped 8 percentage points in 2013 to about 28 percent, moving this figure closer to the overall population percentage of 30 percent, according to a December 12-15, 2013, ABC News/Washington Post national poll of 1,005 adults. This is the lowest percentage of journalists saying they are Democrats since 1971. An even larger drop was observed among journalists who said they were Republicans in 2013 (7.1 percent) than in 2002 (18 percent), but the 2013 figure is still notably lower than the percentage of U.S. adults who identified with the Republican Party (24 percent according to the poll mentioned above).

Screen-Shot-2014-05-06-at-11.42.26-AM.png

http://news.indiana.edu/releases/iu/2014/05/2013-american-journalist-key-findings.pdf

In my 18 years in that business, I can think of two hardcore conservatives. Maybe ten percent of us were cranky independents, the rest were clearly liberal. I remember seeing one survey asking people why they went into journalism, and the top response was "to change the world". Huh? I had thought it was to accurately report what was happening, but no - they have an agenda to promote and journalism is by far the most effective and efficient way to do so.

There were several methods used to slant stories:

• Whether you cover a story at all
  • Where it is placed in the order of the broadcast
  • How much, if any, significance is given to facts that are contrary to the premise of the piece
  • The overall tone & tenor of the piece
  • Any combination therein
Lefties, of course, like the way the media behaves because it comports with their worldview. Add that to the fact that the media is so effective in getting that worldview out, and they'll support to the bitter end. Which will never come, by the way.

Are there exceptions, will the press report on stories that fly in the face of, or damage, their worldview? Yes, because there is one (1) thing that takes a higher priority than politics to them, and that is their lofty view of themselves, "media as the world's watchdog". Challenge their integrity and they'll protect it like a mama bear, and they won't care which party you're in. Ironic, since most of their energy is spent spinning.

But the Left doesn't do much of that, they don't challenge the media much (why would they?), so their relationship with the media remains cozy.

Just 7 percent of journalists are Republicans. That’s far fewer than even a decade ago.

BY CHRIS CILLIZZA
May 6 at 12:52 pm

A majority of American journalists identify themselves as political independents although among those who choose a side Democrats outnumber Republicans four to one, according to a new study of the media conducted by two Indiana University professors.

Write Lars Wilnat and David Weaver, professors of journalism at Indiana, of their findings:

Compared with 2002, the percentage of full-time U.S. journalists who claim to be Democrats has dropped 8 percentage points in 2013 to about 28 percent, moving this figure closer to the overall population percentage of 30 percent, according to a December 12-15, 2013, ABC News/Washington Post national poll of 1,005 adults. This is the lowest percentage of journalists saying they are Democrats since 1971. An even larger drop was observed among journalists who said they were Republicans in 2013 (7.1 percent) than in 2002 (18 percent), but the 2013 figure is still notably lower than the percentage of U.S. adults who identified with the Republican Party (24 percent according to the poll mentioned above).

Screen-Shot-2014-05-06-at-11.42.26-AM.png

http://news.indiana.edu/releases/iu/2014/05/2013-american-journalist-key-findings.pdf

and there you have it

-Geaux

In my 18 years in that business, I can think of two hardcore conservatives. Maybe ten percent of us were cranky independents, the rest were clearly liberal. I remember seeing one survey asking people why they went into journalism, and the top response was "to change the world". Huh? I had thought it was to accurately report what was happening, but no - they have an agenda to promote and journalism is by far the most effective and efficient way to do so.

• How much, if any, significance is given to facts that are contrary to the premise of the piece
Lefties, of course, like the way the media behaves because it comports with their worldview. Add that to the fact that the media is so effective in getting that worldview out, and they'll support to the bitter end. Which will never come, by the way.

Are there exceptions, will the press report on stories that fly in the face of, or damage, their worldview? Yes, because there is one (1) thing that takes a higher priority than politics to them, and that is their lofty view of themselves, "media as the world's watchdog". Challenge their integrity and they'll protect it like a mama bear, and they won't care which party you're in. Ironic, since most of their energy is spent spinning.

But the Left doesn't do much of that, they don't challenge the media much (why would they?), so their relationship with the media remains cozy.

You will find very few "lefties" that like the way the media behaves. Apparently no one likes the news media.

Those who ask questions and seek out information........will discover and uncover facts.

Thus....they tend to look upon the current iteration of the GOP as being full of shit.

You die hard Republicans just can't figure out why most of us Americans just don't like you all very much.

Here is a hint; it involves your blind support of the ultra wealthy and your un ending attacks on people who are not ultra wealthy.

But you all sure do get your feeling hurt and cry and whine a lot when you are being "misunderstood".

Didn't your mommy's tell you; nobody likes a crybaby.

And man up and take responsibility for yourselves. Quit blaming whoever and whatever for your alls fucked up thinking. It is all on you.

Those who ask questions and seek out information........will discover and uncover facts.

Thus....they tend to look upon the current iteration of the GOP as being full of shit.

Oh the irony

Or it might be that if you are in the journalism business, eventually, reality just gobsmacks you in the face that "conservatism" is based on greed, bigotry and tricking the rubes into voting against their own self-interest.

Used to be, Republicans used to be a common sense party that understood there needed to be a balance between business and workers, the rich and the rest of us, and so on.

Not so much. They figured they can get the rubes to vote against their own economic interests by waving flags and bibles and pictures of dead fetuses in front of them.

And the Sheldon Adelson and Koches will keep writing those big checks extolling the virtues of "Conservatism" and "Libertarianism".

Oh the irony

Oh, the lame post!

Point out the irony in my statement.

Journalists ask questions and seek out facts for a living. That means that they are good at it.

They overwhelmingly reject the GOP.

Straight as an arrow.

Or it might be that if you are in the journalism business, eventually, reality just gobsmacks you in the face that "conservatism" is based on greed, bigotry and tricking the rubes into voting against their own self-interest.

Used to be, Republicans used to be a common sense party that understood there needed to be a balance between business and workers, the rich and the rest of us, and so on.

Not so much. They figured they can get the rubes to vote against their own economic interests by waving flags and bibles and pictures of dead fetuses in front of them.

And the Sheldon Adelson and Koches will keep writing those big checks extolling the virtues of "Conservatism" and "Libertarianism".

Thats it. On ignore. Fucking moronic hypocritical piece of shit.

Thats it. On ignore. Fucking moronic hypocritical piece of shit.

Earmuffs!!!!!!!!

an even smaller number of these losers are actual journalists

libs are willing lemmings

I am surprised at the 7% figure for Republican journalists.

If the liberal media had their way the figure would be 0%

Don't be upset, the figure for lobbyists is probably the reverse.

Actually, most of the largest lobbying organizations are liberal.

opensecrets.org/orgs/list [DOT] php

Hey maybe you can list the MOST EFFECTIVE lobbying organizations. You know, the lobbyists who are the best at getting their legislation written into bills that benefit the organization they are lobbying for.

Is it the oil/gas industry?
Agra business? Big pharma?

Which one is the best? Not the biggest.

Forum List

Back