Just another day in the NFL, protesters lose

The players, primarily blacks took "can't have inmates running the prison" to mean "blacks are inmates and are decedents of slavery." You know, decedents of slavery just as most Caucasians, Indians, Hispanics, Middle Easterners and Hispanics are.

Just snowflakes being snowflakes. Claiming the victim role because of butt pain caused by simple words. Liberals dumbing down the populace, except for those wise to it.

Most Texans players take knee during anthem after owner's comment

No actually. The owner is a CERTIFIED moron. If that's the top of his Communication skills, he'll probably lose all the money his daddy gave him... That was an AWFUL choice of words for folks that work hard, are disciplined and risk their bodies to play the game.
He's not a moron. He's just living in America where you can say anything you want and not have to worry about triggering Snowflakes.

Well, until Obama became president.

Last edited:
"Folks, there is a fascinating piece today in a story from ESPN The Magazine about the latest owners meetings, where the players met with the owners to discuss the future going forward, what to do about anthem protests. This piece, if it’s true — and there’s a caveat for that because it’s the media, A; B, it’s ESPN. So if it is true, this story portrays the owners as the least powerful people in the room, that Goodell and the liberal left-wing executives of the NFL were telling everybody what’s gonna be, what’s gonna happen, what is.

650-101917-Goodell-B.jpg

They wouldn’t even let Jerry Jones in one of the meetings ’cause they didn’t want him to put forward the proposition that players will be benched if they don’t stand for the anthem. They didn’t even want to deal with it. Jerry Jones tends to run the NFL meetings among the owners. They didn’t want to let him in there. It’s a really eye-opening piece, and it just… Folks, it illustrates to a T, this league doesn’t get it!

They do not. They’re run by a bunch of left-wing execs, many of whom have never been in football before. They come from marketing and retailing. There are some women in ranking positions of marketing and so forth in the NFL. The PR department is all former Obama and Clinton. (chuckling) It’s not surprising to me. What’s surprising to me is it got written." - Rush Limbaugh

Last edited:
How the NFL, players forged anthem detente amid gaffes, TV ratings concerns

NOBODY KNEW WHERE to sit. Side by side or across from one another?

It was the final question raised by a group of 11 NFL team owners as they mingled inside the sixth-floor conference room at the league's Park Avenue headquarters in New York City, minutes before they were to meet with a group of 12 players, one former player and three union leaders on the morning of Tuesday, Oct. 17. The day already had been stressful, and the meeting hadn't even started. League executives had spent that morning as they had the previous four weeks: grappling with a series of events the league and owners could not control, unleashed by President Donald Trump's harsh criticism of the decision by a handful of players to kneel during the national anthem.

Morale was bad inside the league office, and the pressure was not letting up. There was the looming notion that sponsors would leave the NFL -- not just because of the protests but because of an array of challenges confronting the league, including the continuing decline in TV ratings. Nearly all of the league's longtime sponsors, from Papa John's to USAA, were rattled, and fissures within the league offices and teams, to say nothing of the players, were starting to expand.

Among many league and team executives, the games had become, improbably, an afterthought. These two days of New York meetings held the potential to provide a measure of hope -- a way for owners to formulate a plan with players that would satisfy disenchanted fans and advertisers. It was no secret that commissioner Roger Goodell and the owners wanted the players to stop kneeling during the anthem immediately. A week earlier, Goodell said that he hoped owners and players could "move past" the anthem issue at the meetings. If and how that could be accomplished was unclear. After Goodell's statement, Jerry Jones, the Dallas Cowboys' owner, threatened to bench any player who knelt, the only owner to issue such an ultimatum, one that won praise in Texas and across much of America's heartland. Spurred on by Jones' stance, some hard-line owners looked at the meetings as the opportunity to vote on a mandate that would force all players to stand for the anthem.

For weeks, Goodell had tried to get in front of the issue. One owner had complained that NBA commissioner Adam Silver got away with ordering players to stand because, unlike Goodell, he has a good relationship with the union. Another owner had remarked to a colleague that Trump would like nothing more than for players to strike over the protests, maybe forcing a suspension of the season.

As owners filed into the large conference room featuring a massive, football-shaped table, everyone feared the discussion could get ugly. NFL executive Troy Vincent, who cared deeply about the players' concerns but had little patience for the protests, called San Francisco 49ers GM John Lynch the Saturday before the meeting. He told him that if safety Eric Reid, one of the most ardent protesters, knelt the next day, he shouldn't "bother to show up" at the players-owners meeting because nobody would take him seriously, according to people briefed on the call. Reid knelt anyway. And he intended to show up.

Just before Reid and the other players and union leadership arrived, talk among the owners turned to a final issue, small but symbolic: the seating arrangement. In collective bargaining negotiations, the owners sat opposite players and union representatives. But Goodell told the owners their job that morning was to listen; the session was not a negotiation or anything that could be resolved by a quid pro quo. The owners decided the meeting would have to start with the tiniest of gestures:

We'll sit side by side with the players.

i

Polls show that the national anthem protest issue has resonated with millions of fans who insist all players should stand when it is played. AP Photo/Charlie Riedel
THE NIGHT BEFORE that meeting, Jerry Jones stood in a suite at Yankee Stadium, watching the Yankees play the Houston Astros in the ALCS but also, perhaps, catching a terrifying glimpse into his future. The Cowboys are what the Yankees once were: America's most iconic team in America's most iconic -- and patriotic -- sport. Jones was a man at the pinnacle of his profession that chilly night, the Hall of Fame owner whose power among his peers is drawn from a relentless skill at growing the NFL's total revenues and the guile to outmuscle everyone. But those who have spoken with him sense a dull panic, as if so much of what the NFL has built -- what he has built since buying the Cowboys in 1989 -- is eroding. Jones and his fellow owners had arrived in New York that day like heads of state, setting up shop at the Four Seasons and in their own apartments with a clear agenda: Stop Trump from attacking our business. Find a way to persuade players to stop kneeling. Get the focus back to football.

But the owners had far different ideas about how to accomplish such difficult goals, according to nearly two dozen interviews Outside the Lines conducted with owners, league and team executives, players and lawyers briefed on the two days of closed-door meetings. For one thing, this was not the usual scandal or crisis the league could fight in the court system or the court of public opinion and then march away from. The game itself had come under a monthlong attack by the president of the United States, with no letting up. It was also a prickly regional problem. The players' protests and the president's criticism played far differently in New England and California than they did in Texas, where Jones and Houston Texans owner Bob McNair were fielding an avalanche of complaints from outraged fans. This time, Goodell didn't have to simply manage owners' bruised egos and simmering feuds; this was a national political crisis threatening the league's business and its brand, seen through a different lens by each owner depending on his or her own political leanings and each team's fan base. It would require leadership, diplomacy and, most likely, a little luck.

Yet in many ways, the meetings would be a referendum on the same argument owners have been holding in private meetings for years: What is the NFL's identity? Is it a strict entertainment company that Jones and others envision, controlling the behavior of its players in service of its financial bottom line? Or should it attempt to transform itself into a more socially conscious league that would strive, through the forging of a rare and fragile owners-players partnership in this moment, to use its mammoth platform to try to change society for the good, even if the cost of that process, slow and complicated, would likely be measured in short-term declining popularity and lower revenues?

Some owners left the Yankees game early, seeking a good night's sleep before the meeting with the players the next morning. Jones could afford to stay out late. Goodell had personally decided which owners would attend, and he had not invited Jones. The commissioner, sources say, wanted to prevent the players-owners meeting from devolving into an argument about whether a player should be benched if he kneels -- an argument that was more likely to break out if Jones attended. For his part, Jones, who declined comment for this story, didn't seem bothered. He beamed in the Yankee Stadium suite alongside his oldest son, Stephen, masking worries over what was now at stake for the NFL in 2017.

Polls show that the protest issue has resonated with millions of fans who insist all players should stand for the national anthem; some are calling for an NFL boycott and vowing to never watch another NFL game. Owners are alarmed at how rapidly fans' outrage is eroding many of the league's key business metrics, and executives at some broadcast partners have complained to owners about how the NFL lurches from crisis to crisis. A recent Morning Consult poll revealed that the NFL's net favorability has dropped to 11 percent from a high of 56 percent in May. Jones was furious that local TV ratings in Dallas were down, especially a 19 percent drop for this year's game against Green Bay, compared with last year's. "There is no question the league is suffering negative effects from these protests," he would tell reporters after the Cowboys routed the 49ers. "All times, I want to do the right thing by [NFL sponsors] and their customers. I have a great responsibility to the people who support us. ... We all get great benefits from having a lot of us watching our games. All of us do."

Jones arrived in New York to have a good time -- and to deliver a reckoning. The only question was whether his billionaire partners and Goodell would heed that reckoning.

i

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Redskins owner Daniel Snyder were angry with 49ers owner Jed York -- they felt that if he had forced quarterback Colin Kaepernick to stand a year ago, the national anthem crisis could have been averted. AP Photo/Michael Conroy​

Thread needs some Favre.

Poorchoir??

Greg

What's that mean? What's poorchoir?

2) The sound a French-speaking existentialist seagull makes.

Urban Dictionary: pourquoi

Another meaning:
pourquoi
1} A French interrogative meaning "why".

So I forgot the spelling; I knew what it sorta sounded like.

Greg

Oh. I see. Por qué?

I dunno. Think because I was watching Farve videos before I came here tonight.

Thread needs some Favre.

Poorchoir??

Greg

Another meaning:
pourquoi

Greg

Oh. I see. Por qué?

What's a Favre?

Greg

Thread needs some Favre.

Poorchoir??

Greg

Another meaning:
pourquoi

Greg

Oh. I see. Por qué?

What's a Favre?

Greg

Brett Favre.

Not a single Texans player had ever kneeled during the anthem before.

So they piss on the American anthem 'cause their boss hurt their bloody feelings?? In what way do they show that they love their country?

Greg
At the end of the Civil War a union soldier was quoted as saying "I loved my country but I`ll be damned if I`ll ever love another one". I piss on all anthems and have done so since about 9th grade.

You sound pretty committed for a 10th grader...:poke:
You giving him to much credit.

I understand why the players aren't happy with the owner. I would be pretty pissed also. But what does telling everyone you're anti-American have to do with showing your displeasure with the boss? They didn't hurt the owner, they just pissed of 50% of their fans. Makes no sense. No one will take the player's protest seriously until they start putting their money where their mouth is.

I understand why the players aren't happy with the owner. I would be pretty pissed also. But what does telling everyone you're anti-American have to do with showing your displeasure with the boss? They didn't hurt the owner, they just pissed of 50% of their fans. Makes no sense. No one will take the player's protest seriously until they start putting their money where their mouth is.

Cause and effect. Liberals see they can protest for any reason and no reason, so they protest for any reason and no reason. Leading a dumbed down snowflake America, and everyone welcome.

The players, primarily blacks took "can't have inmates running the prison" to mean "blacks are inmates and are decedents of slavery." You know, decedents of slavery just as most Caucasians, Indians, Hispanics, Middle Easterners and Hispanics are.

Just snowflakes being snowflakes. Claiming the victim role because of butt pain caused by simple words. Liberals dumbing down the populace, except for those wise to it.

No actually. The owner is a CERTIFIED moron. If that's the top of his Communication skills, he'll probably lose all the money his daddy gave him... That was an AWFUL choice of words for folks that work hard, are disciplined and risk their bodies to play the game.

Yes, he should have cited it as traditionally "the inmates can't be running the ASYLUM"
that would not be seen as referring to minorities, and only offended advocates of the mentally ill.

I think it was a Freudian slip, or he's pretty ignorant. Yes, that was a very poor choice of words.

When me and my lack-of-tact self sees it, that's really bad.

Good for them....what the owner said was way out of line.

Let's say that I start my own business with an idea and put up my own resources....borrow and leverage myself to the hilt. I hire people to help me get out my product and then they decide that they are going to dictate how MY business is going to work? Isn't that the epitome of the term "Letting the inmates run the asylum"??? I would say so.

I am beyond this bullshit "cultural marxism". It's MY company and I run it the way I see fit....don't like it" There's the door and don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out. If I don't want militant queers and marxists on the payroll? That is MY right because I sign the checks.....get it now???
Then, by all means, fire them.

Good for them....what the owner said was way out of line.

"Good for them" for what? They didn't hurt the owner in any way. All they did was look like a bunch of commie whiners pissing off half the fanbase. The owner is laughing all the way to the bank. Any revenue loss as a result will come out of player salaries.

Forum List

Back