Justice Roberts: “What unique perspective does a minority student bring to a physics class?…

[
Rather than getting into another long drawn out discussion on AA I will concede that it remains controversial; but, something had to be done to address the plight of Blacks, White women, and other minorities. including some Asians..

Why does something have to be done?. Why can't we just admit what everyone knows? Blacks and women don't have the ability of white males. There is no conspiracy.

Might want to ask Dr. Neil Degrasse Tyson (a Black physicist),

BtlKTbu.png

Dark Matter
---
When asked about my thoughts on Bill Cosby, or on race-baiting in politics, or on the plight of the inner city, people innocently interrupt other thoughts I’m having: like contemplating the meaning of the standard model of particle physics, or considering the ramifications of solutions to Einstein’s equations that enable backwards time travel, or imagining whether the cosmic horizon will ever wash over the edge of all matter in the universe.

To those people, I’m not a scientist, but a Black scientist, as apparently I am to the New York Times. Their OpEd pages have seen three or four of my OpEds over the past 15 years. Yet, never has the Times solicited one from me -- until now. Did they want my views on Space Exploration? The Higgs Boson? Pluto? No. It was time to get the Black scientist to comment on the Supreme Court’s deliberations in the legality of Affirmative Action policies at the University of Texas at Austin. (I sent the Times a near-identical version of this short correspondence, which was clearly not what they were looking for, and was rejected.)

Meanwhile, hundreds of my colleagues in the physical sciences have already co-signed an open letter[1] to the Supreme Court of the United States on this very topic. Within it, my fellow scientists recognize that this an education problem. An inclusion problem. A societal problem. More importantly, it’s an American problem. So no, it’s actually not the time to turn to your Black friend for solutions and commentary.

After you’ve read the Open Letter, if anybody is still wondering what I’m thinking, just reference this original Tom Cheney comic from 1999, based on an earlier version that first appeared in The New Yorker, and which hangs permanently on a wall of my office.

Respectfully Sumbitted: Neil deGrasse Tyson, New York City; Twitter: @neiltyson
---

Here's what the physicists themselves say about the issue.

Letter to SCOTUS from physicists
---
Before Justice’s Scalia’s remarks on black scientists, Justice Roberts asked, “what unique perspective does a minority student bring to physics class?” and “What [are] the benefits of diversity… in that situation?” Before addressing these questions directly, we note that is important to call attention to questions that weren’t asked by the justices, such as, “What unique perspectives do white students bring to a physics class?” and “What are the benefits of homogeneity in that situation?” We reject the premise that the presence of minority students and the existence of diversity need to be justified, but meanwhile segregation in physics is tacitly accepted as normal or good. Instead, we embrace the assumption that minority physics students are brilliant [6] and ask, “Why does physics education routinely fail brilliant minority students?”
The implication that physics or “hard sciences” are somehow divorced from the social realities of racism in our society is completely fallacious. The exclusion of people from physics solely on the basis of the color of their skin is an outrageous outcome that ought to be a top priority for rectification. The rhetorical pretense that including everyone in physics class is somehow irrelevant to the practice of physics ignores the fact that we have learned and discovered all the amazing facts about the universe through working together in a community. The benefits of inclusivity and equity are the same for physics as they are for every other aspect of our world.

The purpose of seeking out talented and otherwise overlooked minority students to fill physics classrooms is to offset the institutionalized imbalance of power and preference that has traditionally gone and continues to go towards white students. Minority students in a classroom are not there to be at the service of enhancing the experience of white students.
---

The purpose of seeking out talented and otherwise overlooked minority students to fill physics classrooms is to offset the institutionalized imbalance of power and preference that has traditionally gone and continues to go towards white students.
---

No - white dominance in physics is not institutionalized. It happens because whites meet the test standards and blacks don't. THINK

Forum List

Back