Kailash Manasarovar Yatra

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
I was reading an article on one of the batches and I had to back up because I had no clue what I was reading. So, this is what I found:
Kailash Mansarovar Yatra (KMY) is known for its religious importance, cultural significance and arduous nature. The trek through high altitudes in freezing temperature entails hard labour and courting danger. Inspite of the arduous nature of the yatra, pilgrims have been trudging through the cold desert since time immemorial. The annual pilgrimage holds religious importance for Hindus, Jains and Buddhists. It involves trekking at high altitudes of up to 19,500 feet, under inhospitable conditions, including extreme cold and rugged terrain. It may prove hazardous for those who are not physically and medically fit. Indian Mountaineering Foundation (IMF) has recognised KMY as a trekking expedition and it may involve high risk to person or property.

Religious significance
Hindus regard Mt. Kailash as the earthly manifestation of Mt. Meru, the spiritual centre of the universe. On Mt. Meru is situated Svarga or heaven, according to Hindu mythology. Whoever visits the place is cleaned of his sins. Visiting the Manasarovar Lake is also a part of the pilgrimage. Mansarovar Lake, located at an altitude of 14,950 ft (4,558 m) is said to be the highest freshwater lake in the world.

Pilgrims (yatris) taking a ritual bath in the lake are assured of reaching Lord Brahma’s paradise and a drink of its holy water cleaning the sins of a hundred lifetimes. A pilgrimage to Mt Kailash involves circumambulating the holy mountain and also the Manasarovar Lake. Hindus travel clockwise around the mountain to cover the 52km circuit. Likewise, circumambulating Manasarovar Lake is also an important ritual. The circuit is a little over 100 km and takes 4-5 days to complete.
Kailash Manasarovar Yatra All you need to know Latest Travel Blogs Articles at Travel.India.com

A new route was taken this year:
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj appeared her usual poised self on Tuesday as she flagged off the first batch of pilgrims for the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra from the new and less arduous route of Nathu La, but restrictions imposed on presspersons in covering the event were perceived as an indication of her unease.

The flagging off ceremony was Ms. Swaraj’s first public appearance following the controversy over her recommendation to the U.K. for travel documents for ex-IPL chief Lalit Modi. The Minister, who posted tweets to defend her decision on Sunday, has maintained silence since, even as the Congress has mounted a campaign seeking her resignation.

Ms. Swaraj spoke with satisfaction at having fulfilled a promise made a year ago to find a way for the aged and the infirm to undertake the pilgrimage.

Only photographers were allowed to capture the Minister speak as there were clear instructions not to let reporters into the Ministry.

Beginning her address to the pilgrims with an invocation to Lord Shiva, she said flagging off the yatra was one of her first public engagements after taking over as External Affairs Minister a year ago. “I am delighted to flag off the batch of pilgrims to Kailash Mansarovar today for two reasons. First, the promise I made last year of enabling elderly citizens to undertake the pilgrimage is being fulfilled and second, because I can see happiness on the faces of these people whose wish to undertake the yatra,” Ms. Swaraj said.

The opening of the new, motorable route through Nathu La in the Himalayas will enable those who cannot go on foot to Kailash was confirmed during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to China.
Sushma keeps reporters off at Kailash Mansarovar yatra launch - The Hindu

I am not sure of the total amount of batches this year because I have read two different numbers.
First batch:
SILIGURI First batch of Kailash Mansarovar pilgrims head for Sikkim The Echo of India

Second batch:
SOUTH ASIA S LEADING MULTIMEDIA NEWS AGENCY

Forum List

Back