🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Killing Homosexual Marriage

Are you saying there is no compelling state interest in refusing to sanction it?

It is not up to the individual to disprove your claim of state compelling interest.

If you have a case to make for incest marriage and polygamy....make it.

What are the odds you'll give us the same snivelling excuses that Pop always does?

Polygamists are already making it.
Then quote the court rulings supporting it. Or will these be like your 'lawmakers who disagree' with me? More meaningless gibberish of you citing yourself?

Incestophiles will eventually make it.

Says who? Same sex marriage has been legal in parts of this country for 10 years. Yet incest marriage is legal nowhere.

If same sex marriage leads to incest marriage......why didn't it?

Are you saying there is no compelling state interest in refusing to sanction it?

It is not up to the individual to disprove your claim of state compelling interest. If this were the case, the state could just deem whatever to be in 'compelling interest' and that would be that. A free society such as ours is not shackled to such tyranny, we are a self-governing society. We can challenge what you claim to be "compelling interest" the same as it was challenged for gays or any number of other individuals who had an issue with their rights through the years. We can also establish what IS or ISN'T a "compelling interest" and forge that into law because we retain that power as the people.

The onus is on YOU to provide a "compelling interest" and if you cannot provide one we all agree on and accept, then it can be brought into question... which it has been. None of you has provided a sufficient "compelling interest" in light of the recent SCOTUS ruling. You sound exactly like the people who opposed gay marriage. It's as if those justifications are all legitimate again!

I have been hanging back and watching this shit fly for a while now and I just can’t stand it anymore. To say that close relative marriage is the same as same sex marriage is that same and if the latter is allowed , so must the former is just as stupid as stupid gets. I wrote this well prior to Obergefell and it still has relevance now. If anyone thinks that they will kill gay marriage with this sort of nonsensical fear mongering, you are sadly mistaken. The burden of proof to provide a compelling reason-or at least a rational basis- for not allowing related people to marry. Without taking a position on it here, this is one way they are likely to be able to do just that. Note that none of these reasons have anything to do with unrelated same sex couples.

On Marriage Between Close Relatives: By Progressive Patriot 1.2.14

So the argument is that if gay marriage is to be allowed, there is no reason to not allow marriage between brothers and sisters; parents and siblings and in short, any two consenting adults. Furthermore, anyone who opposes that idea is being accused of hypocrisy and of being opposed to true equality……marriage for all.

Before I proceed, I want to be perfectly clear about the fact that I know exactly why people raise this and other similar issues. It’s a blatant and intellectually dishonest attempt to derail the conversation regarding marriage equality- marriage that is equal to what Heterosexuals enjoy-nothing more- and to thwart the progress being made by the gay community in combating bigotry

They are using a logical fallacy in the form of weak analogy because there are important and distinct difference between marriages involving unrelated people, as opposed to closely related people. As we will see below, there are many pitfalls related to inbreeding, beyond the obvious biological/ genetic issues. The relationship between close relatives, married or not will never be comparable to that of two unrelated people.

Moreover it is an appeal to hypocrisy, a type of ad hominem in which the opponent is attacked for being inconsistent rather than making an argument directly related to the issue, because they are unable to do so. It matters little if there is in fact any inconsistency, or hypocrisy because the issue has no bearing on the merits of the main argument-in this case for gay marriage.

So, while I will-to a point- indulge those making this argument, I am not fooled by it for a nanosecond. They’re making a simple matter complicated and attempting to stoke the fears of others who may be prone to think, oh my god!

Now to get to the point. I am well aware of the fact that while there is no universal prohibition against consanguineous marriage, however “all human societies however primitive or geographically isolated, prohibit the mating of first degree relatives, namely the mating between parents and children and brothers and sisters (incest)”. http://www.infolanka.com/org/genetics/essays/essayrj3.htm

Aside from siblings and parent-child marriage, and such, kin groupings may be extremely nepotistic and distrusting of non-family members in the larger society. In this context, non-democratic regimes emerge as a consequence of individuals turning to reliable kinship groupings for support rather than to the state or the free market. It has been found, for example, that societies having high levels of familism tend to have low levels of generalized trust and civic engagement (Realo, Allik, & Greenfield, 2008), two important correlates of democracy. Moreover, to people in closely related kin groups, individualism and the recognition of individual rights, which are part of the cultural idiom of democracy, are perceived as strange and counterintuitive ideological abstractions (Sailer, 2004 - See more at: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2013/04/cousin-marriage-and-thdemocracy.html#sthash.YYRm9Or4.dpuf

In addition, while over time marriage has taken on many forms and meaning, and the relationships between that participants have evolved, one point that there seems to be a wide consensus on is that a central part of marriage is to form a new family out of two existing families, in order to pool resources and create alliances. To propose marriage between close relatives, regardless of whether or not they are sexual relationships is going beyond redefining marriage and family to destroying the concept of the family unit as we know it. Family lines and relationships would be blurred and distorted beyond recognition, and rendered meaningless. A daughter might also be a wife, a brother might also be a husband. Would he be a father or an uncle to any children that she might bear? Consider the legal and social ramifications.

Some societies are endogamous in nature- meaning societies that are stratified—that is, divided into unequal classes—often prescribe different degrees of endogamy where marriage opportunities are narrowly defined within a group. We on the other hand are an exogamous society. Through exogamy, otherwise unrelated households or lineages will form relationships through marriage, thus strengthening social solidarity. Opportunities for marriage are generally open and cross class, religious and ethnic lines resulting in a more diverse and thus healthier society. Yes, I should say, there is indeed a compelling government and societal interest in not allowing close relative marriage. It should be understood by the traditionalists, that close relative marriage would be the real departure from tradition.

I get it, same sex sibling marriage is different than same sex marriage so it shouldn't be legal, but same sex marriage is different then opposite sex marriage so it should......

(Scratches head)

For the second time....when did I ever say that marriage requires sex?

Just quote me. Or....you can continue to run, desperately trying to change the topic. Either works for me.

When you imply that same sex sibling marriage would be incestuous we can easily see the warped, hater dupe world you live in.

That's not a quote. That's you making up a narrative for me that I've never uttered as a hapless deflection of a cartoon simple request:

Make your case for incest marriage and polygamy.

You speak of nothing else. In any thread. You're simply obsessed. But when asked to present your argument....you flee. Even you treat your claims like garbage.

Why would you expect me to treat you claims any differently?

You keep claiming I promote illegal activities, which I never have, then have the utter audacity to ask for a quote from me?

Par for the course for someone who argues that his fellow citizens be denied the very rights he enjoys. And why does he argue that, because these nice, law abiding citizens were born the way they were.

Next you will want to turn back the clock to when sodamy was illegal and we through gays and blacks into prison for simply exsersizing their God given rights!

Go back to your clan of knuckle draggers and let us progressive Americans take care of things.

I say that you speak of nothing but incest marriage and polygamy. On any thread. They are your sole topic of conversation, your personal obsession.

Make your case for polygamy and incest marriage. As you certainly couldn't quote me ever saying that sex is a requirement of marriage.

I have NEVER promoted illegal activity you knuckle dragging racist bigot.

You speak of nothing else but incest marriage and polygamy. In any thread, on any topic. Incest marriage and polygamy are your personal obsessions. You will discuss nothing else.

But when I ask you to simply make your case
, to present your arguments regarding equal protection, due process, to cite the cases that you believe support your argument for incest marriage and polygamy....

.......you flee.

Shrugs....keep running.

It is not up to the individual to disprove your claim of state compelling interest. If this were the case, the state could just deem whatever to be in 'compelling interest' and that would be that. A free society such as ours is not shackled to such tyranny, we are a self-governing society. We can challenge what you claim to be "compelling interest" the same as it was challenged for gays or any number of other individuals who had an issue with their rights through the years. We can also establish what IS or ISN'T a "compelling interest" and forge that into law because we retain that power as the people.

The onus is on YOU to provide a "compelling interest" and if you cannot provide one we all agree on and accept, then it can be brought into question... which it has been. None of you has provided a sufficient "compelling interest" in light of the recent SCOTUS ruling. You sound exactly like the people who opposed gay marriage. It's as if those justifications are all legitimate again!

I have been hanging back and watching this shit fly for a while now and I just can’t stand it anymore. To say that close relative marriage is the same as same sex marriage is that same and if the latter is allowed , so must the former is just as stupid as stupid gets. I wrote this well prior to Obergefell and it still has relevance now. If anyone thinks that they will kill gay marriage with this sort of nonsensical fear mongering, you are sadly mistaken. The burden of proof to provide a compelling reason-or at least a rational basis- for not allowing related people to marry. Without taking a position on it here, this is one way they are likely to be able to do just that. Note that none of these reasons have anything to do with unrelated same sex couples.

So the argument is that if gay marriage is to be allowed, there is no reason to not allow marriage between brothers and sisters; parents and siblings and in short, any two consenting adults. Furthermore, anyone who opposes that idea is being accused of hypocrisy and of being opposed to true equality……marriage for all.

Before I proceed, I want to be perfectly clear about the fact that I know exactly why people raise this and other similar issues. It’s a blatant and intellectually dishonest attempt to derail the conversation regarding marriage equality- marriage that is equal to what Heterosexuals enjoy-nothing more- and to thwart the progress being made by the gay community in combating bigotry

They are using a logical fallacy in the form of weak analogy because there are important and distinct difference between marriages involving unrelated people, as opposed to closely related people. As we will see below, there are many pitfalls related to inbreeding, beyond the obvious biological/ genetic issues. The relationship between close relatives, married or not will never be comparable to that of two unrelated people.

Moreover it is an appeal to hypocrisy, a type of ad hominem in which the opponent is attacked for being inconsistent rather than making an argument directly related to the issue, because they are unable to do so. It matters little if there is in fact any inconsistency, or hypocrisy because the issue has no bearing on the merits of the main argument-in this case for gay marriage.

So, while I will-to a point- indulge those making this argument, I am not fooled by it for a nanosecond. They’re making a simple matter complicated and attempting to stoke the fears of others who may be prone to think, oh my god!

Now to get to the point. I am well aware of the fact that while there is no universal prohibition against consanguineous marriage, however “all human societies however primitive or geographically isolated, prohibit the mating of first degree relatives, namely the mating between parents and children and brothers and sisters (incest)”. http://www.infolanka.com/org/genetics/essays/essayrj3.htm

Aside from siblings and parent-child marriage, and such, kin groupings may be extremely nepotistic and distrusting of non-family members in the larger society. In this context, non-democratic regimes emerge as a consequence of individuals turning to reliable kinship groupings for support rather than to the state or the free market. It has been found, for example, that societies having high levels of familism tend to have low levels of generalized trust and civic engagement (Realo, Allik, & Greenfield, 2008), two important correlates of democracy. Moreover, to people in closely related kin groups, individualism and the recognition of individual rights, which are part of the cultural idiom of democracy, are perceived as strange and counterintuitive ideological abstractions (Sailer, 2004 - See more at: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2013/04/cousin-marriage-and-thdemocracy.html#sthash.YYRm9Or4.dpuf

In addition, while over time marriage has taken on many forms and meaning, and the relationships between that participants have evolved, one point that there seems to be a wide consensus on is that a central part of marriage is to form a new family out of two existing families, in order to pool resources and create alliances. To propose marriage between close relatives, regardless of whether or not they are sexual relationships is going beyond redefining marriage and family to destroying the concept of the family unit as we know it. Family lines and relationships would be blurred and distorted beyond recognition, and rendered meaningless. A daughter might also be a wife, a brother might also be a husband. Would he be a father or an uncle to any children that she might bear? Consider the legal and social ramifications.

Some societies are endogamous in nature- meaning societies that are stratified—that is, divided into unequal classes—often prescribe different degrees of endogamy where marriage opportunities are narrowly defined within a group. We on the other hand are an exogamous society. Through exogamy, otherwise unrelated households or lineages will form relationships through marriage, thus strengthening social solidarity. Opportunities for marriage are generally open and cross class, religious and ethnic lines resulting in a more diverse and thus healthier society. Yes, I should say, there is indeed a compelling government and societal interest in not allowing close relative marriage. It should be understood by the traditionalists, that close relative marriage would be the real departure from tradition.

I get it, same sex sibling marriage is different than same sex marriage so it shouldn't be legal, but same sex marriage is different then opposite sex marriage so it should......

You've simple ignored every citation, every argument, every reason you've asked for. As I've long said.....you have no interest in discussing the topic, or getting any answers for any of your questions. As whenever they are presented, you ignore them all.

You merely try and shut these threads down with babble about incest and polygamy. You're trolling.

And I troll the trolls. I call it 'ubertrolling'. See how that works? Or shall I snicker while you keep scratching your head?

When you imply that same sex sibling marriage would be incestuous we can easily see the warped, hater dupe world you live in.

That's not a quote. That's you making up a narrative for me that I've never uttered as a hapless deflection of a cartoon simple request:

You speak of nothing else. In any thread. You're simply obsessed. But when asked to present your argument....you flee. Even you treat your claims like garbage.

You keep claiming I promote illegal activities, which I never have, then have the utter audacity to ask for a quote from me?

Par for the course for someone who argues that his fellow citizens be denied the very rights he enjoys. And why does he argue that, because these nice, law abiding citizens were born the way they were.

Next you will want to turn back the clock to when sodamy was illegal and we through gays and blacks into prison for simply exsersizing their God given rights!

Go back to your clan of knuckle draggers and let us progressive Americans take care of things.

I say that you speak of nothing but incest marriage and polygamy. On any thread. They are your sole topic of conversation, your personal obsession.

Make your case for polygamy and incest marriage. As you certainly couldn't quote me ever saying that sex is a requirement of marriage.

You speak of nothing else but incest marriage and polygamy. In any thread, on any topic. Incest marriage and polygamy are your personal obsessions. You will discuss nothing else.

, to present your arguments regarding equal protection, due process, to cite the cases that you believe support your argument for incest marriage and polygamy....

.......you flee.

Shrugs....keep running.

Incest is a crime, since you are acussing me of the promotion of a crime, why don't you just back that assertion up lil guy.

You won't though, cuz u b a knuckle dragger hater dupe.

.......you flee.

Shrugs....keep running.

Incest is a crime, since you are acussing me of the promotion of a crime, why don't you just back that assertion up lil guy.

Like when you accused me of claiming that sex is a requirement of marriage?

Laughing....show me. Quote me making the claim.

.......you flee.

Shrugs....keep running.

You claim my argument for same sex sibling marriage is somehow the same as incestuous marriage.

Now, move along child, let us progressive adults handle things. I'm sure mommy had some ice cream an cookies for Ya!

.......you flee.

Shrugs....keep running.

You claim my argument for same sex sibling marriage is somehow the same as incestuous marriage.

Now, move along child, let us progressive adults handle things. I'm sure mommy had some ice cream an cookies for Ya!

You claimed that that I said sex is a requirement for marriage.

Quote me saying that. So far you're only quoting yourself. Which isn't the same thing, is it Troll?

I find your source to be hilarious. It's like... Let me present the clear and unquestionable legal reasoning that sibling marriage will not be legalized because of gay marriage.... 1) Those who say it will are lying homophobic bigots. 2) In my opinion, it won't happen. 3) It's a form of Latin argument, absoluticus absurdium! 4) My pinhead paleontology friends tell me that no society ever had incest relationships. 5) Gay marriages are good for society.

How is "same sibling marriage" automatically assumed "incest marriage" but "same gender marriage" is not "homosexual marriage"? Wasn't the argument that marriage was not about sexual behavior? But now... it is? How can that be? It seems you have made the presumption that siblings desire doing some "icky" kind of sex act that you don't approve of?

(Scratches head)
Obviously you missed the entire point, that being-since I have to spell it out -is NOT about them simply being different-but about the implications for society and thus the reasons why government may legitimately deny sibling marriage. Is it possible that you really don't get that or are you just playing stupid

I find your source to be hilarious. It's like... Let me present the clear and unquestionable legal reasoning that sibling marriage will not be legalized because of gay marriage.... 1) Those who say it will are lying homophobic bigots. 2) In my opinion, it won't happen. 3) It's a form of Latin argument, absoluticus absurdium! 4) My pinhead paleontology friends tell me that no society ever had incest relationships. 5) Gay marriages are good for society.

How is "same sibling marriage" automatically assumed "incest marriage" but "same gender marriage" is not "homosexual marriage"? Wasn't the argument that marriage was not about sexual behavior? But now... it is? How can that be? It seems you have made the presumption that siblings desire doing some "icky" kind of sex act that you don't approve of?

Given that your entire OP and all your babble about 'incestophiles' is just you citing you....surely you can see why no one takes your claims very seriously.

Especially when you refuse to even discuss your *own* claims about SB377.....the Alabama bill you insist is doing what you propose in your OP.

Except it isn't....is it?

Your another one who does not understand much or is playing stupid. The post clearly had little or nothing to do with sex or incest as reasons why it may not be in the best interest of society to allow it.

I asked my parents one time when I was visiting why they felt like gay marriage was ok since they were supposedly Christians. They both said the same thing, "I just don't care. It doesn't effect me so why should I care?"\.

Why would they care?

Jesus never says a word about gay marriage. Jesus condemn's remarriage after divorce- you know like Reagan, Gingrich and Trump- but not one word about condemning gay marriage.

But maybe they did care about Jesus's First and Second Commandments- and that would explain their acceptance of marriage by gay Americans.

I guess a more interesting question is why you think your parents were 'supposedly Christians'- why do you doubt your own parents were Christians?

I would like to point something out though. A marriage licence is a legally binding document. It has a definition. When heterosexual couples married 5 years ago, marriage had one definition. Now, it has 2. One could argue every single marriage licence is now void because the definition of marriage has changed and should one of the partners decide they don't want any contract with their name on it that uses the word "marriage" that now can mean two gay dudes, they should be able to walk away from it as a null and void contract. Any time you change the meaning of a contract retroactively you void the contract as it is written.

When heterosexual couples married 5 years ago- marriage meant exactly the same thing as it does now. Just now marriage is more inclusive- rather than less inclusive.

My wife and I married over 20 years ago- our marriage is exactly the same now legally- as it was 20 years ago. Obergefel doesn't change my marriage at all. Or anyone's other than those prevented from marrying before.

IF you want to walk away from you marriage because 2 gay dudes can marry- well then the problem is not that 2 gay dudes are marrying- the problem is with your marriage.

What Republicans really want to do is kill gays. Literally kill them so they are dead.

Nahh.. Now, it would be good if medical science finds a way to genetically eliminate homosexuality. I wonder if we'd have to fight the left for a woman's right to choose whether to have a gay or straight child?

LOL- IF science does find a way to identify 'gay' fetuses, Conservative Christians will be lining up for abortions.

(Scratches head)
Obviously you missed the entire point, that being-since I have to spell it out -is NOT about them simply being different-but about the implications for society and thus the reasons why government may legitimately deny sibling marriage. Is it possible that you really don't get that or are you just playing stupid

Ohhhhh, implications for society which would be so much worse with same sex siblings marrying for purely financial reasons then any other same sex couples marrying for financial reasons.

Got it.

Same argument made by Virginia to deny the Lovings the right to marry.

And just exactly how do you claim to be a progressive?

.......you flee.

Shrugs....keep running.

You claimed that that I said sex is a requirement for marriage.

Quote me saying that. So far you're only quoting yourself. Which isn't the same thing, is it Troll?

Time after time you accused me of promoting criminal activity, and many times I've requested a quote you have failed to do so.

Back it up bigot, or go away and practice your knitting nit wit.

(Scratches head)

Ohhhhh, implications for society which would be so much worse with same sex siblings marrying for purely financial reasons then any other same sex couples marrying for financial reasons.

Got it.

Same argument made by Virginia to deny the Lovings the right to marry.

And just exactly how do you claim to be a progressive?

Go ahead, keep playing your bizarre mind fuck games. If marriage is purely financial for you, you must be very sad and lonely.

I neither said nor implied anything of the sort. That has nothing to do with my post.

Did you not point out that there is some justification to the claim that sex is an integral part of marriage?

More accurately, sex can be an integral part of marriage. It doesn't have to be, but a refusal to engage in sex with a spouse for an extended period when both parties are physically capable can be considered grounds for divorce in some states. If neither party wants sex, there is no legal necessity.

Whether sex is satisfactory or unsatisfactory for the parties played no part that I saw, nor did I indicate I believe the state should be able to define what that means.

But what your argue is no different to a breakup of any corporate entities when the partners expressed an expectation of what those partners will bring to the corporation and they need a judge to complete the legal dissolution of the corp, because expectations were not met

The couple sets and expresses those expectations, not the State.

Sex is not a requirement or the state could set those requirements and could "audit" the couple for complience
What the couple sets as expressions of their expectation is not compelling to the state setting the secular law. Sex and procreation may be part of the couple's expressed desires but not bind at all on the state.

BINGO!

The couple, not the State is allowed to set the expectations within the marriage.

Tradition may be that that the expectation within the partnership contain a sexual component, but the law requires none.

So what is the States compelling interest in denying same sex siblings the "right" to marry for the benefits afforded married couples?

Why bother answering you when you will continue to ignore any answer that doesn't include sex?

The State's interest for denying marriage all siblings is the same- regardless of sex.

Which is demonstrated by Wisconsin's marriage law.

But you know- and ignore that.

There is a compelling interest: providing children with a mother and father who won't bear retarded children. ..

Really?

Then why are women in their 40's allowed to marry?

Why are women not asked about alcohol consumption before being allowed to marry?

Once again Silhouette- you are just making crap up.

Forum List

Back