Knesset Votes for ‘Jenin, Jenin Law’

Lipush

Gold Member
Apr 11, 2012
Where the wild things are
The Knesset has approved a law prohibiting slander of IDF soldiers in an initial vote. The bill was put forth by MKs Yoni Chetboun (Bayit Yehudi), Yariv Levin (Likud Beytenu), and Nachman Shai (Labor).

It has been dubbed the “Jenin, Jenin bill” after the libelous documentary “Jenin, Jenin.” While the documentary was found to have contained lies, including accusations of murder, the soldiers accused were unable to file suit because no one individual soldier had been accused.

MKs are hoping to deter future libel by allowing soldiers to sue over false accusations even if they, individually, were not named.

“IDF soldiers, like all citizens of Israel, deserve the natural right to defend their good name,” said Chetboun. “As someone who fought and served as a commander, I learned through experience how hard it is to deal with provocation. As a soldier, you don’t always know what to be more careful about – the rocks being thrown at you, or the filmed provocation.”

Knesset Votes for ?Jenin, Jenin Law? - Inside Israel - News - Israel National News

---------

Wonderful!:D

Sounds like a dangerous precedence to freedom of speech and freedom of press.

Freedom of speech is not the freedom to tell lies.

There is always criticism upon the IDF or police, here.

Question is, what is the red line that one should not cross.

And our judges are INCREDIBELY tolerant when it comes to freedom of speech.

I would agree - Israel is the only country in the ME where there truly is a real freedom of speech.

I still do not think that is a good precedent.

We will have to let it prove itself.

I will apploud this. I think soldiers need a better protection, they are at many times haunted by leftist media.

If it will fail, I am positive it would be canceled.

Does this mean that you cannot call the assholes assholes anymore?

Sounds fascist to me.

I would agree - Israel is the only country in the ME where there truly is a real freedom of speech.

you may want to check out #112 on the 2013 press freedom index.

Press Freedom Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

also, i don't think freedom of speech includes libel or slander, although the devil in this one is in the details. it would seem that palestinian groups may have more claim than the IDF and israeli groups with this new law. we certainly see it on this board.

i don't think israel needs a law to invigorate the 'fighting spirit" of the IDF as the article states. they have a thriving t-shirt business for that. also, it woulld not surprise me if arutz sheva 7 was one of the first bodies prosecuted under this law should it pass.

Last edited:

Sounds fascist to me.

lol...i am sort of all over the place on this one. it would be nice to know the details because if a law has the potential for abuse, it will be abused.

i don't think libel and slander is acceptable at all or erroneous reporting but, on the other hand, a few frivolous lawsuits can destroy a legitimate news source.

Sounds fascist to me.

lol...i am sort of all over the place on this one. it would be nice to know the details because if a law has the potential for abuse, it will be abused.

i don't think libel and slander is acceptable at all or erroneous reporting but, on the other hand, a few frivolous lawsuits can destroy a legitimate news source.
Don't turn the other cheek
Don't turn the other cheek - Israel Today | Israel News

Sounds fascist to me.
Why, Tinnie, don't you think that Arab countries act in a fascist way when they throw people in jail for daring to say anything against the leaders or Islam? I guess Tinnie wouldn't mind then if we call his friends "assholes" since that is what they are. I think Tinnie really thinks that the leaders of the Palestine Authority are "assholes" since he has put them down all the time in favor of his friends, Hamas, who he of course doesn't consider "assholes.".

Interesting link - that surprised me. Although - amongst the ME countries, it is 2nd best, with Kuwait ranking higher.

also, i don't think freedom of speech includes libel or slander, although the devil in this one is in the details. it would seem that palestinian groups may have more claim than the IDF and israeli groups with this new law. we certainly see it on this board.

I guess it depends on how slander and libel laws are constructed and enforced. The impression I got from the OP is that when the IDF as a group are disparaged they can't sue because no single individual is named. I can see it being abused to prevent rightous criticism.

i don't think israel needs a law to invigorate the 'fighting spirit" of the IDF as the article states. they have a thriving t-shirt business for that. also, it woulld not surprise me if arutz sheva 7 was one of the first bodies prosecuted under this law should it pass.

Totally agree

Interesting link - that surprised me. Although - amongst the ME countries, it is 2nd best, with Kuwait ranking higher.

I guess it depends on how slander and libel laws are constructed and enforced. The impression I got from the OP is that when the IDF as a group are disparaged they can't sue because no single individual is named. I can see it being abused to prevent rightous criticism.

Totally agree

it surprised me too. also qutar and lebanon, and cyprus...i suppose yu could call cyprus mideastern.

as for the article. i really don't lie arutz 7 as a news source personally. i think their spin goes to far and strays rom news into editorial. i am actually also surprised to see lipush turn to it as a source so much.

more and more, i am beginning to think it is a bad law. in the past, i think the AG used to handle these issues.

Sounds fascist to me.
The consequences won't be anywhere close to what you'd get if you were to call the real Hamas terrorist assholes, terrorist assholes. :rofl:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back