Kurt Vonnegut on "Equality"

1. Interesting because it represents the fulcrum between Liberal and Conservative viewponts, is the term “equality.” Here is misunderstanding writ large:
“I guess the Declaration of Independence was wrong then,
when it said that All men were created Equal, and All were endowed with the inalienable right of Liberty.
...the two can't exist together?”

Actually.....no.....they can't.

a. For the Left, equality extends beyond the view of the Founders, which is equality before the law. The concept has been modified with the growth of modern liberalism, and the ‘egalitarian’ impulse that fuels it. Here we witness the constant expansion into areas in which equality of sorts is seen as desirable and/or mandatory.

b. Dewey noted in 1936 that liberalism’s “philosophy has rarely been clear cut,” but “that government should regularly intervene to help equalize conditions between the wealthy and the poor, between the overprivileged and the underprivileged.”
Jo Ann Boydston, “John Dewey: The Later Works, 1925-1953,” p. 284-285.

2. . By the 20th century, the new ‘equality’ became a threat to freedom. FDR’s New Deal and Truman’s Fair Deal claimed the rectification of inequalities as within the purview of government. LBJ’s Great Society championed the redistribution of wealth and status in the name of equality. Realize that the concomitant movement toward collectivism meant a decline in the freedoms of business, private associations, families, and individuals.

a. It seems to me, self-evident that immobilizing the producers with regulations and confiscatory taxation proves that a nation can have prosperity or equality in all aspects of living- but not both.

3. Perhaps the best way to reveal the inanity of the Left’s campaign for their view of equality is to revisit the satirical exposition of equality, written in 1961 by Kurt Vonnegut….
"Harrison Bergeron" is a satirical and dystopian science-fiction short story written by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. and first published in October 1961…The satire raises a serious question concerning desirability of social equality and the extent to which society is prepared to go to achieve it.”
Harrison Bergeron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a. "All men are not created equal. It is the purpose of the Government to make them so." This is the premise of the Showtime film adaption of Kurt Vonnegut's futuristic short story Harrison Bergeron. The film centers around a young man (Harrison) who is smarter than his peers, and is not affected by the usual "Handicapping" which is used to train all Americans so everyone is of equal intelligence.”
Harrison Bergeron (TV 1995) - IMDb

b. “Kurt Vonnegut begins Harrison Bergeron this way: The year was 2081, and everybody was finally equal. They weren't only equal before God and the law. They were equal in every which way. Nobody was smarter than anybody else. Nobody was better looking than anybody else. Nobody was quicker or stronger than anybody else. All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General.”
Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut

c. The government forced each individual to wear “handicaps” to offset any advantage they had, so that everyone could be truly and fully equal. Beautiful people had to wear ugly masks, the strong had to wear weights, the graceful had to wear bags of birdshot, and those with above-average intelligence had to wear government transmitters in their ears that would emit sharp noises every twenty seconds “to keep them from taking unfair advantage of their brains.”
Kurt Vonnegut, “Harrison Bergeron.”

4. So…is this view of “equality” funny? Perhaps…but it reminds me more of Lord Byron’s words: “And if I laugh at any mortal thing, 'Tis that I may not weep.”

The Great Society had nothing to do with redistribution of wealth.

No doubt about it: you're as dumb as asphalt.
A perfect representative of the 'reliable Democrat voter.'

So.....exactly where does the money the government wastes in LBJ's multifarious programs come from?

Our Trillion-Dollar War, by Edgar K. Browning of The Independent Institute:
When Lyndon Johnson inaugurated the War on Poverty in 1964, he assured the public that “. . . this investment [of tax dollars] will return its cost many fold to our entire economy.” Now that this “investment” has reached a trillion dollars a year we should evaluate whether the returns have, in fact, been large. Some questions to consider:

Is the low-income population more independent and self-supporting than before the War on Poverty?

If a trillion dollars were simply given to those counted as poor by the federal government (37 million in 2005), it would amount to $27,000 per person. That’s $81,000 for a family of three, higher than the median income of all American families, and far greater than the poverty threshold of $15,577.
Right Truth: War on Poverty, the high costs and the depressing results

Give me one example of our government ever being funded by wealth! It's stupid to claim the only possible way to make a poor person not poor is to take wealth away from somebody else. Wealth isn't finite and it obviously is created. Not being poor simply means you have an income above a certain level and it doesn't require having any wealth at all.

The errors are all yours, sweetie.

You are wrong about the declaration

And you are wrong about Vonnegut.

And if you are close enough to read signs near my ear..at least take me to dinner first..

Sheesh.

:cool:

"at least take me to dinner first.."
I thought you just came from the dumpster?

Every single word I've posted is correct. You can read the links....that's why they're their.

Your bloviation is meaningless.

As usual, you are Brobdingnagianly incorrect!

Whey they're "their"? :lol:

That correct too?

OK....you get a demerit for "whey"...
...I'll take one for "their."

One thing I actually can agree with Shallow on... that us IT people (whether it be NOC, engineering, management, junior executive, etc) have strange hours depending on what is going on and can just as easily post during normal business hours as we can during the night

Probably the only thing we agree on though

IT is a strange life as well. Easy enough to post while running a query or a trace, monitoring a cluster, pushing out a patch, etc.

I have a triple head display in front and a 6 display setup behind me, I have a lot of balls in the air at any given time. Half-dozen RDP.

Harrison Bergeron is a fantastic science fiction short story that does a great job of mocking what equality for all could mean. That said, it doesn't reflect the cartoon version of what right wing nuts think the left believe.

I didn't read the short story..but I have read Vonnegut. He was never about mocking "equality".

:eusa_hand:

Perhaps you should read Harrison Bergeron?

I've read plenty of Vonnegut..he was a favorite of mine when I was a kid.

One of the themes in most of his books was "Conformity" mandated by government.

That's an entirely different thing.

One thing I actually can agree with Shallow on... that us IT people (whether it be NOC, engineering, management, junior executive, etc) have strange hours depending on what is going on and can just as easily post during normal business hours as we can during the night

Probably the only thing we agree on though

IT is a strange life as well. Easy enough to post while running a query or a trace, monitoring a cluster, pushing out a patch, etc.

I have a triple head display in front and a 6 display setup behind me, I have a lot of balls in the air at any given time. Half-dozen RDP.

In a very boring meeting at the moment. Via phone.

Gotta love it.

I am securing the Palo Alto 5020 (pair) to replace 6 current Cisco and Netscreen FW's.. you want power, ease, and better security, check the Palo Altos out...

I put in a PL-5050 a year ago. It was a great decision. It's so much more than a firewall. I just took the 2 hour crash course from Palo Alto, didn't bother with the 2 day cert course. It was enough for me to configure and deploy the box with.

I LOVE the LOS ability. For instance, I allow Pandora, but at low LOS, if bandwidth gets tight, Pandora gets smaller and smaller allocations. The dashboard is great.

You'll love it.

The mind of the left illustrated with aplomb.

Truthmatters got nothing on you...

Well at least she didn't try to dispute a Ted Nugent video by saying he was talking about "cutting the heads of snakes" when he was really talking about chopping off the head of the President of the United States.

That was hilarious. You do provide alot of humor around here.

The government spent massive amounts of money on the war which translated into increased demand for goods and services which boosted the US economy.

And the great pumpkin brings all the good little bois and gurls toys when he rises from the pumpkin patch...

How long are you going to keep repeating a story that never happened?

You're denying that

1. government spending increased during WWII

2. GDP increased during WWII as a result

3. Unemployment fell during WWII as a result.

That qualifies you as an idiot. Or should I say renews your status as an idiot.

The mind of the left illustrated with aplomb.

Truthmatters got nothing on you...

Well at least she didn't try to dispute a Ted Nugent video by saying he was talking about "cutting the heads of snakes" when he was really talking about chopping off the head of the President of the United States.

That was hilarious. You do provide alot of humor around here.

You're denying that

1. government spending increased during WWII

2. GDP increased during WWII as a result

3. Unemployment fell during WWII as a result.

That qualifies you as an idiot. Or should I say renews your status as an idiot.

I'm again pointing out that consumer spending FELL during WWII - did not rise.

BTW, GNP was the indicator used - thus demonstrating that you're bullshitting.

The Great Society had nothing to do with redistribution of wealth.

So.....exactly where does the money the government wastes in LBJ's multifarious programs come from?

When Lyndon Johnson inaugurated the War on Poverty in 1964, he assured the public that “. . . this investment [of tax dollars] will return its cost many fold to our entire economy.” Now that this “investment” has reached a trillion dollars a year we should evaluate whether the returns have, in fact, been large. Some questions to consider:

Is the low-income population more independent and self-supporting than before the War on Poverty?

If a trillion dollars were simply given to those counted as poor by the federal government (37 million in 2005), it would amount to $27,000 per person. That’s $81,000 for a family of three, higher than the median income of all American families, and far greater than the poverty threshold of $15,577.

Give me one example of our government ever being funded by wealth! It's stupid to claim the only possible way to make a poor person not poor is to take wealth away from somebody else. Wealth isn't finite and it obviously is created. Not being poor simply means you have an income above a certain level and it doesn't require having any wealth at all.

1. Do you have any idea how many nasty emails I've received from asphalt for claiming that you're "dumber than asphalt'????

Seems even asphalt doesn't want be be seen in the same sentence with you.

2. Actually, smart of you to try to change the subject from your über-insane:

"The Great Society had nothing to do with redistribution of wealth."

3. And this classic: " It's stupid to claim the only possible way to make a poor person not poor is to take wealth away from somebody else."
Did you really say that?

Of course the government takes from one to give to whosoever they deem 'poor.'
Where else does government get money?
Earn it???

4. Speaking of poor, the definition is 'no home, no heat, no food.'
Do you know of any such?

Or...are you one of those simpletons who blandly accept whomsoever the government assigns that title?
Of course you are.

That's pretty much the description of 'the reliable Democrat voter.'

I'd bet anything that you are the product of government schooling.
True?

I didn't read the short story..but I have read Vonnegut. He was never about mocking "equality".

:eusa_hand:

Of course there's a non-conformist spirit to the story Harrison Bergeron, dude. It's Vonnegut. That doesn't mean he wasn't mocking what equality for all (as mandated by the gov't, of course) would look like in his own unique way.

Read it. It's a cool, quick read.

Of course there's a non-conformist spirit to the story Harrison Bergeron, dude. It's Vonnegut. That doesn't mean he wasn't mocking what equality for all (as mandated by the gov't, of course) would look like in his own unique way.

I will.

But to think that Vonnegut was expressing the same sort of critique as say Ayn Rand about equality or conservatives in general..is really misunderstanding Vonnegut.

He was an extreme critic of the uber wealthy and big corporations. You see that in "Player Piano".

I will.

But to think that Vonnegut was expressing the same sort of critique as say Ayn Rand about equality or conservatives in general..is really misunderstanding Vonnegut.

He was an extreme critic of the uber wealthy and big corporations. You see that in "Player Piano".

Oh, of course. The OP is a drooling moron and completely wrong.

But that's par for the course for her.

Do you know of any such?

Sadly, here in the Peoples Republic, there are a lot of people who fall into this category.

On Thursdays, Del Taco has 3 chicken soft tacos for $2.09 - they're pretty good. So I have a habit of grabbing them for a quick dinner. About a year ago, I noticed a homeless guy on the sidewalk, so order an extra 3. Asked him if he wanted some tacos, which of course he did. And it became a habit. I count how many homeless are on the sidewalk and buy them tacos on Thursdays, usually only 4 or 5 are there. The point is, there are people who have no home, no food, and no heat. I'm in the most leftist state in the nation, and it's rampant here.

I will.

Oh, of course. The OP is a drooling moron and completely wrong.

But that's par for the course for her.

My, oh, my....you must have shaken with the fear of losing your Liberal creds.

Perhaps one day you'll be strong enough to think for yourself.

1. Do you have any idea how many nasty emails I've received from asphalt for claiming that you're "dumber than asphalt'????

3. And this classic: " It's stupid to claim the only possible way to make a poor person not poor is to take wealth away from somebody else."
Did you really say that?

Earn it???

Do you know of any such?

Or...are you one of those simpletons who blandly accept whomsoever the government assigns that title?
Of course you are.

True?

You obviously don't know what the definition of wealth is and Donald Trump is the only person I've heard talk about taxing wealth.

It's also bullshit to claim a $1 trillion in costs going to the poor. Do just the poor get Medicare?

Did you really say that?

Earn it???

Do you know of any such?

Of course you are.

True?

You obviously don't know what the definition of wealth is and Donald Trump is the only person I've heard talk about taxing wealth.

It's also bullshit to claim a $1 trillion in costs going to the poor. Do just the poor get Medicare?

1. "News that the poverty rate has risen to 15.1
percent of Americans, the highest level in nearly
a decade, has set off a predictable round of calls
for increased government spending on social
welfare programs. Yet this year the federal
government will spend more than $668 billion on at
least 126 different programs to fight poverty.
And that does not even begin to count welfare
spending by state and local governments, which
adds $284 billion to that figure. In total, the
United States spends nearly $1 trillion every
year to fight poverty.
That amounts to $20,610
for every poor person in America, or $61,830 per
poor family of three.

2. In fact, since
President Obama took office, federal welfare
spending has increased by 41 percent,
more
than $193 billion per year. Despite this government largess, more than 46 million Americans continue to live in poverty. Despite nearly $15
trillion in total welfare spending since Lyndon
Johnson declared war on poverty in 1964,
the
poverty rate is perilously close to where we began more than 40 years ago.

3. Throwing money at the problem has neither
reduced poverty nor made the poor self-sufficient

4. On January 8, 1964, President Lyndon B.
Johnson delivered a State of the Union address to Congress in which he declared an
“unconditional war on poverty in America.”
At the time, the poverty rate in America was
around 19 percent and falling rapidly. This
year, it is reported that the poverty rate is expected to be roughly 15.1 percent and climbing.

5. Between then and now, the federal government spent roughly $12 trillion fighting
poverty, and state and local governments
added another $3 trillion. Yet the poverty
rate never fell below 10.5 percent
and is now
at the highest level in nearly a decade.

Scribd

Do you realize that the problem continues due to you and the
other asphalt-ees?

Do you know of any such?

Sadly, here in the Peoples Republic, there are a lot of people who fall into this category.

On Thursdays, Del Taco has 3 chicken soft tacos for $2.09 - they're pretty good. So I have a habit of grabbing them for a quick dinner. About a year ago, I noticed a homeless guy on the sidewalk, so order an extra 3. Asked him if he wanted some tacos, which of course he did. And it became a habit. I count how many homeless are on the sidewalk and buy them tacos on Thursdays, usually only 4 or 5 are there. The point is, there are people who have no home, no food, and no heat. I'm in the most leftist state in the nation, and it's rampant here.

I think we need a clarification here.

There are folks with no home, no heat, no food.

They are the poor.

What percentage of the more than 46 million that the government identifies as poor fall into that definition?

Forum List

Back