🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Labor Participation Rate

Is the participation rate low due to lazy workers, or not enough employment opportunities?

• Too many Lazy Workers and unemployable college grads

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Need more job opportunities and job skill training

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kyzr

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2009
The AL part of PA
The participation rate is how much of the workforce is actually employed. The normal participation rate is about 2/3 or 67%. In 2017 the rate is about 63%, not bad, but we need everyone pulling the wagon instead of so many riding in it. If we can get 4% more of the population working, and paying taxes, that would help close the deficit.

Notice: Data not available: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

latest_numbers_LNS11300000_1990_2017_all_period_M11_data.gif

I am not sure I agree that 67% is "normal".

If you go back a bit further than 1990 you will see that 67% is pretty high.

upload_2018-1-1_10-23-35.png

upload_2018-1-1_10-24-29.png

It all has to do with how many don't and won't have to work in the labor force, even though I am sure some sort of labor must be expended to exist...

>

Thoughts:

#1 Is there a correlation to the rise in the Labor Rate to Female Participation of Females in the 60's, 70's, 80's?

#2 OK, I know I'm going to screw up the way that I say this, so look at intent and not nit-pick the verbage. My parents were born pre-WWII and adults in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's. Is there a correlation with the shift from one-wage earner families to needing both spouses to work to make ends meed which (IIRC) began in the 60's.

>>>>

Last edited:
154,430,000: U.S. Hits Record Employment in January...
icon6.png

154,430,000: U.S. Hits Record Employment in January; But Record 95,665,000 Not in Labor Force
February 2, 2018 | The new year is off to a strong start on the employment front.
]
The Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics reported on Friday that a record 154,430,000 people were employed in January, a gain of 309,000 from December. The number of employed Americans has broken seven records since Donald Trump took office. The nation’s unemployment rate remained at a 17-year low of 4.1 percent for a fourth straight month in January, but the number of Americans not in the labor force also set a new record at 95,665,000 – the fourth such record since Trump took office. In January, the nation’s civilian noninstitutionalized population, consisting of all people age 16 or older who were not in the military or an institution, reached 256,780,000. Of those, 161,115,000 participated in the labor force by either holding a job or actively seeking one. The 161,115,000 who participated in the labor force equaled 62.7 percent of the 256,780,000 civilian noninstitutionalized population. The labor force participation rate has been stuck at 62.7 percent for four straight months.

Congressional Budget Office Director Keith Hall told Congress last week that the nation's labor supply is growing slowly because of the aging population. In other positive news, wages are rising: In January, average hourly earnings for all employees on private nonfarm payrolls rose by 9 cents to $26.74, following an 11-cent gain in December. Over the year, average hourly earnings have risen by 75 cents, or 2.9 percent. And the economy added a strong 200,000 jobs last month. After revisions for the December and November jobs-added totals, job gains have averaged 192,000 over the last 3 months. Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rate for Blacks increased to 7.7 percent in January, up from last month's record low of 6.8 percent; and the rate for Whites edged down to 3.5 percent. The jobless rates for adult men (3.9 percent), adult women (3.6 percent), teenagers (13.9 percent), Asians (3.0 percent), and Hispanics (5.0 percent) showed little change.

Trump expects ‘numbers that get even better’

“Already since the election, we've created 2.4 million jobs,” President Trump told Republicans gathered in West Virginia on Thursday. "That's unthinkable. And that doesn't include all of the things that are happening. You're going to see numbers that get even better. “The stock market has added more than $8 trillion in new wealth. Unemployment claims are at a 45-year low, which is something. After years of wage stagnation, we are finally seeing rising wages.

African-American and Hispanic unemployment have both reached the lowest levels ever recorded. That's something very, very special.” Trump noted that upon hearing that news at the State of the Union speech, “There was zero movement from the Democrats. They sat there stone cold, no smile, no applause. You would've thought that on that one, they would've sort of at least clapped a little bit. “Which tells you perhaps they'd rather see us not do well than see our country do great, and that's not good. That's not good.”

154,430,000: U.S. Hits Record Employment in January; But Record 95,665,000 Not in Labor Force

Forum List

Back