LaHood: We’re looking into technology to disable cell phones in vehicles

it will never happen anyway. the FCC won't even allow jamming in jails

Unless you think it is logical to apply the same reasoning to Radio and GPS Navigation Devises,

The proof coming out in many studies recently that Radios and GPS devices, although hazardous are far less distracting than the cell phone. Scientists are still baffled by why this is. Talking on the cell phone is equal to having a BAC of .08. Texting? Shit... you're 3 sheets to the wind.

why would gps or radios be as distracting? neither require you to interact with them once set

Over the five-year period, 2005-2009, the number of fatal crashes where driver inattention/distraction was a factor reached a high of 143 in 2006 followed by decreases in 2007 (132) and 2008 (118); in 2009, the number of fatal crashes involving distracted driving remained at 118. During the same period, the number of injury crashes involving driver inattention/distraction fluctuated between 22,000 and 24,000; in 2009, distracted driving was reported as a factor in nearly 22,500 injury crashes.
Cell phone use was reported as a factor in six or fewer fatal crashes (less than 1% of all fatal crashes) each year. The number of injury crashes involving cell phone use has been on an upward trend since 2006 reaching 287 in 2009; however, the reported involvement of cell phones as a factor in crashes resulting in injury has remained at a consistently low level (0.2%) over the five-year period, 2005-2009.

Page 26 (Almost Half way Down)

http://www.nysgtsc.state.ny.us/HSSP/2011HSSP.pdf

When I was rear ended by a women on her cell phone, I was stopped in traffic, and watching her approach in my rear view mirror, as she yakked on the phone looking right at me. She was doing about 45 miles an hour and never braked. Her car went under my Cadillac, all the way until the rear-end stopped her. My cad looked like a "V". :lol:

Putting on make-up, Eating, drinking, changing the Radio, swatting a mosquito, a distraction is a distraction. Cell Phones account for less than 1% of reported problems. In truth it is about discipline, awareness, concentration, and generally safe driving practices. Grand Standing dilutes the argument, comparing speaker phones to texting while driving is also disingenuous.

Do those of you who oppose this idea have anything to support your arguments other than Nazi imagery? An actual counterargument? Or do you just think we have a constitutional right to endanger ourselves and others whilst driving?

LibocalypseNow would have shouted down regulations requiring milk to be pastuerized if he could have -- are all of you this knee jerky?

because people are able to handle them properly. I talk on the phone everytime I drive because driving is boring as fuck and/or I have something to talk about. I usually save all my calls for the day until the drive home since I have to be wasting time in the car anyway. punishing capable people b/c of actions of the dumb is never a good policy, and still will not save lives as this statist jackass is trying to justify

Just set up highway camers on overpasses and such that will see a drive talking on a cell phone and then get the iD from the phone and automatically email them a ticket.

Isn't technology wonderful.

I am vehemently opposed to all traffic cameras. You have a right to face your accuser.

:lol: you stupid idiot. facing your accuser after being caught on camera would entitle you looking into a mirror :eek:

Last edited:
This is another PRIME example of everybody being punished or regulated because of the stupidity and irresponsibility of a few. Just like very other law on the books. As a result we are forced to live in a society dominated by morons. We are stupidity ruled.

This is another PRIME example of everybody being punished or regulated because of the stupidity and irresponsibility of a few. Just like very other law on the books. As a result we are forced to live in a society dominated by morons. We are stupidity ruled.

Yea it's very sad. Most people really do behave like cattle. The Government has a "Throw the baby out with the bathwater" mentality. A couple of stupid college kids die from supposedly drinking too many Energy Drinks that contain alcohol and the Government's answer is to immediately ban them for all Americans. Most of our Laws are passed this way. You can't even drink a beer while walking along the beach anymore. Can you imagine this in our country? Some stupid assholes do stupid things on the Beach and the Government goes nuts and bans drinking on the beach for everyone. People just need to grow up and stop behaving like cattle. All Americans should not have to suffer for the few who do wrong.

Just set up highway camers on overpasses and such that will see a drive talking on a cell phone and then get the iD from the phone and automatically email them a ticket.

Isn't technology wonderful.

I am vehemently opposed to all traffic cameras. You have a right to face your accuser.

:lol: you stupid idiot. facing your accuser after being caught on camera would entitle you looking into a mirror :eek:

No, you are mistaken. These cameras have been proven to be faulty, a source of corruption, and raises serious Constitutional issues.

If you are being charged with a crime, you have a right to challenge your accuser. Normally, that's an officer or deputy or patrolman or trooper. You cannot challenge a traffic light.

But thanks for the knee-jerk neg rep before thinking about my answer for a few seconds.
thumbsup.gif

This administation is PURE EVIL.

first TSA
next the internet
going after Fox news
now this.

where are the SCREAM from the lefties and the ACLU about all this.?

The TSA wasn't started by Obama. You know that, right?

What has this administration done to the internet?

What did they do to Fox NEWS?

No, you are mistaken. These cameras have been proven to be faulty, a source of corruption, and raises serious Constitutional issues.

If you are being charged with a crime, you have a right to challenge your accuser. Normally, that's an officer or deputy or patrolman or trooper. You cannot challenge a traffic light.

images

The Sky Is Falling
Is there some meaning from this post, or are you just at a loss to counter my points?

images

The Sky Is Falling

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/143342-dantes-usmb-holiday-treats.html

An accident that happened in my home town recently-

Mark Tiburzi was on his way to the Brentwood Promenade from Chesterfield when he got stuck in traffic on Highway 40 (Interstate 64) and in the path of a tractor-trailer loaded with scrap aluminum.

The truck ran into, and over, a line of 10 vehicles just before the Interstate 270 exchange.

His Toyota Camry was crushed and Tiburzi, a district sales manager for Famous Footwear, suffered severe brain trauma. "I talk to him all the time, but he doesn't talk back," said his wife of 25 years, Cheri Tiburzi of St. Peters.

Her 53-year-old husband lives at a nursing home. He can breathe on his own, but he needs a feeding tube. She doesn't know what his future holds.

"I've lost part of myself," she said. "A part of me is gone."

Her husband was one of 15 people hurt in the July 15 wreck that killed three others.

Thursday will mark the six-month anniversary of the crash. No charges have been filed against the truck driver, Jeffrey R. Knight of Muscle Shoals, Ala. Authorities have only described Knight as being inattentive, but a Missouri Highway Patrol report has revealed he admitted to an investigator that he was distracted by a cell phone.

In the report, Knight is quoted as saying, "I reached across the dash to get my cell phone. I flipped the phone open, looked back at traffic, and I was there right at the last car (in the line of cars stuck in traffic). I didn't see any brake lights or emergency flashers. After I hit the first car, I just remember holding the steering wheel and seeing cars going to my left and right."

Phone distracted driver, report says

punished?

:eek:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

punished?

everybody?

:eek: OMFG! How hysterical. :eek:

:lol::lol::lol:

Hmmm, I agree with him Dante. We have punitive laws already, and that didn't stop this ONE little brat from texting. So why should 300 million be told they cannot use a cell phone in a running vehicle, especially for emergency purposes? And you don't need any devices in people's cars, just the law and a hefty fine. How about they confiscate cars where they catch the driver using a cell phone. That punitive enough?

Forum List

Back