Latinos Upset Over Proposed Change to Seal at University

Clementine

Platinum Member
Dec 18, 2011
How is this symbol different from the Confederate flag? It's not really. Of course, now we have a minority group doing the complaining about changing the seal. Native Americans say it represents a violent era. Hispanics say the seal represents their heritage. This is the exact same argument surrounding the Confederate flag. Hispanics are calling this 'racist.' Insanity. We all know if it were whites asking for the seal to be changed or removed, the left would rally against it. Since this is between two minority groups, will the left approach it the same way they did the Confederate flag or will they want a compromise to make both groups happy?

"New Mexico's largest university is considering revising its half-century old seal amid concerns by Native American students who say it represents the frontier's violent era.

Unlike other moves to change logos and names of buildings, the effort to drop the seal is drawing resistance from another minority groups — Hispanics.

Native American student groups want the University of New Mexico to scrap the seal that depicts a rifle-toting frontiersman and a sword-carrying Spanish conquistador.

Ralph Arellanes, chair of the Hispano Round Table of New Mexico, said he favors a change but removing the conquistador would be unacceptable since it represents the state's Hispanic heritage.

The debate is pitting some community members against each other as university officials try to recruit more Latino and Native American students to attend the campus.

For months, the Native American students groups Kiva Club and Red Nation have been pressuring the university to drop the seal.

Nick Estes, an American Studies doctoral student and a member of Red Nation, said its images are a "celebration of conquest and colonialism" and have no place on a modern campus.

"This is not about revising the seal. It's about getting the seal abolished," Estes said. "It's racist.""

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2016/05/14/latino-students-at-nm-university-upset-over-possible-revision-spanish-seal/?intcmp=hplnws

There are varying opinions on the meaning of the Confederate flag and most flew it as a sign of southern pride.

The seal is pretty specific when it comes to meaning so the Native Americans have a good point.

I am curious to see which way this will go and would guess that it'll be removed since that is the politically correct way these days. If anyone is offended by something, even if it's ancient history, it will be destroyed. When will we stop celebrating cinco de mayo? It's not even a big holiday in Mexico and it's all about them winning a battle over French invaders. You know, more violence. Funny that California celebrates it more than Mexico. Can we do away with that since it might offend some French students? Or is it okay to offend some people and not others? Just wondering because it seems like political correctness usually means that straight, white, religious, American citizens are always in the wrong as far as the left is concerned.

What are the Facts About Cinco de Mayo?

It serves the stupid Native Americans right. Trust the white man and THIS is what you get. Do the NA's expect to have their loser asses on the seal? Not hardly. You get emblems for WINNING you sad jokers.

Now go back to your huts and teepees and get drunk! Be gone with you!

It serves the stupid Native Americans right. Trust the white man and THIS is what you get. Do the NA's expect to have their loser asses on the seal? Not hardly. You get emblems for WINNING you sad jokers.

I see, so the Confederate flag and all the statues had to go because they were the ones who lost?

The left sure isn't proud of America being the victor in past wars. Didn't Obama apologize for some of it? I know plenty of libs who are quick to ban the flying of the American flag because if offends some illegal and legal immigrants. Crazy.

Thing is, people are offended by the seal and I thought the rule is that we bend over for anyone who finds something offensive.

It's up to the University and they are caught between two minority groups. What will they do? I mean, when safe spaces don't make students feel better then it's time to take action. And since too many college students these days are completely incapable of responding to things they disagree with in a mature fashion, it is up to the college to make all the babies feel safe and secure.

I see, so the Confederate flag and all the statues had to go because they were the ones who lost?

The left sure isn't proud of America being the victor in past wars. Didn't Obama apologize for some of it? I know plenty of libs who are quick to ban the flying of the American flag because if offends some illegal and legal immigrants. Crazy.

Thing is, people are offended by the seal and I thought the rule is that we bend over for anyone who finds something offensive.

It's up to the University and they are caught between two minority groups. What will they do? I mean, when safe spaces don't make students feel better then it's time to take action. And since too many college students these days are completely incapable of responding to things they disagree with in a mature fashion, it is up to the college to make all the babies feel safe and secure.

You are nothing if not a moron that can't see sarcasm. I'm NOT a lib for the ten thousandth time you fucking idiot. You don't get to assign me a political party any more than the rest of the pussies that can't handle the truth or any opinion that doesn't conform to neo con talking points. I get it that being an atheist is not a popular position in the GOP since my party was contaminated by you GGAAAWWWDD FEARIN fruitcakes. Fortunately the U S Constitution requires NO RELIGIOUS TEST requirement to be an American in good standing and a fiscal conservative at that who would prefer a smaller government imprint on our society.

My previous post was a spoof.. a joke... clearly meant to see how many would get their gay panties twisted up into your sloppy closeted a-holes. It wasn't 100% joking because I do feel that what happened happened and all we can do is carry on the best we can. Thing is that was then and this is now. It's too late for reparations and WEEZ SORRYZ. The NA's were fools for not sinking every boat and drowning every white man that tried to make it to shore that pulled up to these shores and those on down the coasts to S America. Their BIG mistake.

As a side note the NA's were NOT so kind to their own kind as for the reason for Eskimos. They tried to make it past the Northwest NA's but most of em got killed so what was left high tailed it back up north to chew on whale blubber and lick their wounds.

If the idiots in AZ want to throw the NA's a meaningless bone it's up to them. I have no real opinion on it.

Forum List

Back