Lawnmower Crisis

JohnDB

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2021
Well since I bought a house this year....I now have to mow the lawn.
And this place sits on over an acre. Family in the area all have large lots as well....makes mine look small.
So I went to try and get a used zero turn lawnmower and just about puked.
There are none to be had for a decent price....

Ok....so now I've got to cough up real money.

I paid less for my wife's car than these things are selling for new.

But I think I've narrowed down my choices for one....think I'm gonna pull the trigger here soon. The lawn is looking a tad wild....and since I don't have a bush hogging tractor attachment I guess I had better pull it soon.

Anyone else looking to get a new lawnmower this year?

And this place sits on over an acre. Family in the area all have large lots as well....makes mine look small.

But I think I've narrowed down my choices for one....think I'm gonna pull the trigger here soon. The lawn is looking a tad wild....and since I don't have a bush hogging tractor attachment I guess I had better pull it soon.

My neighbor has a guy that cuts her lawn. Full basic service, he cuts the lawn with a riding mower, get's close up with a powered push mower, then does the trim with a weedwacker.

I've always don't my own yard work. But getting a little older and doing the lawn just isn't as much fun as it used to be.

So I was shooting the bull with him one day and asked how much for the same service just to get a feel. And umm, it wasn't cheep. So I asked about just the riding peace (I'd do own close cut and weedwacking) when he came out for the neighbor's lawn and it wasn't that bad since he could (a) knock out two customers on a single trip, and (b) didn't have to do the cleanup mowing and weedwacking. That cost wasn't to bad.

Maybe find a service just for the main cut, do the rest yourself, and then have more time to look for used or buying on sale in the fall?

WW

Why don't you convert some of it into a big garden that will save you a LOT of money and with control over better flavor and quality for your health?

Plant some Berry plants and a couple PEACH trees.

LOL....You waited till lawn mowing season to buy a mower? :laughing0301:
Do not underestimate this.
When I moved into my current house, I ordered a new lawnmower in early March from Lowes or Home Depot (I forget which) thinking it would take a few days to a week. It took over 3 weeks and by that time my grass was well over my ankles in places.

Why don't you convert some of it into a big garden that will save you a LOT of money and with control over better flavor and quality for your health?

Plant some Berry plants and a couple PEACH trees.
That thought wasn't lost on me....
But I remember how much work gardening is....and it can be a LOT.

Where I don't think a mini orchard would be horrible....it still needs to have the lawn mowed. I've got 5 pecan trees already growing. (4 Huge) So maybe some peach trees, plum trees, and maybe a grape Arbor would help eat up some space....(and maybe a little wine)

And blackberries would be awesome if they could be contained....but they tend to get out of control. Nevermind the thorns.

But at any rate I'm too young to hire out the lawn...I need something to do anyway.
I've been working on the back yard. The wisteria have eaten up a quarter of it along the fence line. A good 25 -30 feet on each side. The trunks are already 6"-10". Some are 40 feet tall. Half are bent over because of vines....they gotta go too.

But a new zero turn for my size lawn without buying a disposable or a worthless electric is going to be $5K. Even the used dealer was completely out of used lawnmowers. He said nobody is trading them in for new ones....and he pays the best for them out of anyone....fixes them and sells them.

So....a new toy is in my future.

Might be cheaper just to pay the HOA fines for having an unkempt lawn.
There is no HOA in my neighborhood....it's 130 years old...and no one is dumb enough to try and put one in.

This past winter I saw all kinds of used mowers for half what you will pay for them now.

Last winter I didn't have purchasing a house on my radar screen. Then shortly before Christmas the apartment complex gave us the new contract for my apartment....the rent increase was so much that I about choked. I've been a quiet tenant and paid on time every month for years. I didn't expect much of an increase....but when I seen it I was over it. I went house hunting because my new mortgage is still less than rent. And my mortgage really is not going to increase. If anything it can shrink. So now I have a 3500 sq ft home and over an acre to mow...no struggles for parking either. And two sheds out back I can play in.

That thought wasn't lost on me....
But I remember how much work gardening is....and it can be a LOT.

Where I don't think a mini orchard would be horrible....it still needs to have the lawn mowed. I've got 5 pecan trees already growing. (4 Huge) So maybe some peach trees, plum trees, and maybe a grape Arbor would help eat up some space....(and maybe a little wine)

And blackberries would be awesome if they could be contained....but they tend to get out of control. Nevermind the thorns.

But at any rate I'm too young to hire out the lawn...I need something to do anyway.
I've been working on the back yard. The wisteria have eaten up a quarter of it along the fence line. A good 25 -30 feet on each side. The trunks are already 6"-10". Some are 40 feet tall. Half are bent over because of vines....they gotta go too.

But a new zero turn for my size lawn without buying a disposable or a worthless electric is going to be $5K. Even the used dealer was completely out of used lawnmowers. He said nobody is trading them in for new ones....and he pays the best for them out of anyone....fixes them and sells them.

So....a new toy is in my future.

You can buy used riding mowers for a lot less.

Gardening is hard because do it done wrong so much with all that unnecessary tilling and watering work.

Here is a link to my forum post talking about how to make gardening simpler and easier to work with.

LINK

Make a few permanent raised beds that you never walk on and which you can dump some of the grass clippings on.

In my garden I use 4' wide by 20' long with 4" raised above grade with 18" paths between beds using 2x6 UNTREATED boards.

When I move to a new place, I will have my beds be 5' wide and 20' long with 18" paths.

Yes. Mine which is not that old is stuck in forward and the new transaxle costs like $600 just for the part. I will probably buy something once the spring sales start. Thinking it will be a Deere or a husqvarna. To be honest, anything made by MTD seems to have a shorter and shorter life no matter what brand name they stick on the side. They are crappier and crappier every time I get one.

This past winter I saw all kinds of used mowers for half what you will pay for them now.
I have snow still on the ground, though the brown patches of lawn are starting to show up, and all the muddy areas... Good ole Mud season!

First lawn mowing in my neck of the woods is late May, maybe the third or fourth week!

I wonder if lawn mowers are still cheap up here?

Thinking it will be a Deere or a husqvarna.
Just a personal review. I purchased the 26 HP Husq and had great luck with it--but I heard the hype about JD and sold the Husq to my son in law. I replaced it with the 24 HP JD with a smaller cutting deck. Big mistake. The cut was never up to par. It took longer to cut my acre. The bag system was smaller (two bags vs three) and it used much more gas. Long story short, son in law had no use for the Husq after moving to a new place. He offered to trade. I jumped at it and he sold the JD to some poor guy for what he had in the Husq and everyone is happy. I would definitely steer clear of the JD. Husq makes a great yard tractor.

One does not a zero turn to get it done, brah, and you can get a decent mower from $400-$800.

I would recommend Husqvarna or John Deere. Have had both. They're both OK.

One does not a zero turn to get it done, brah, and you can get a decent mower from $400-$800.

I would recommend Husqvarna or John Deere. Have had both. They're both OK.
Lawn tractors are slower and leave wider swaths of grass needing weedeater-ing. Zero turn lawnmowers cut about twice as fast as lawn tractors do. I've used tractors before...they are OK. The big motor in front and turning in the front will get the job done...but zero turns turn on a dime. Because lawns are full of obstacles like trees, flower beds, old stumps and garden gnomes. And I'd just prefer to have one.

And where I was looking for a used one for a month now...there really aren't any available for a reasonable price...they all have issues needing repairs if there is one available making the total price and hassle much higher.
So against my normal method....I'm going to have to get a new one. I really do like used.

I've been researching....
And so far the ones with the best service record are scag, hustler, and big boy. These are the ones that start and mow the lawn more consistently than the others. Fewer reported issues despite the hype of the marketing. Fewer maintenance or repair issues as well. Even when they get older....but these three tend to be less frills and thrills than the other ones....especially the hustler. Which is likely the way I'm going to go. It's a louder machine. Rougher ride too. But built like a beast. Also tends to be the cheapest of those three.

Husqvarna and Deer are OK machines. I've driven or used both in the past and they have good reputations. However lately Deer has not been the same company as they once were....dropping parts and service for whole lines of equipment. And that makes getting parts/repairs very difficult. I know of one currently needing a transmission just sitting and waiting for one if and when one can be found. (My FIL's....one I tried to borrow until i can get my own)

The Husqvarna is fairly reliable to start. But then those ZT machines also tend to have features that break and need repair/replacement. (They are nice though and the ride is much nicer) They also tend to be about $1k-1500 more than a comparable machine from the three I mentioned above.

Almost went cub cadet because of the price....but the constant blades needing replacement and the other hassles with the machine as they age made me change my mind. The engines and transmissions are not configured correctly....the engines can end up cracking on them after a long service.
It's all about belts, blades, and bearings. Occasionally a starter motor. Then it's safety switches....because if one goes out you gotta get a replacement.

Grass abuser eh ? Grass Live Matter 2 !
9ugd.gif

Grass abuser eh ? Grass Live Matter 2 !
View attachment 769156
I know right!
I got a new weed eater too....a gas powered one. Then got the brush conversion kit for the fence line. I blew through so many bush sized wisteria trees it was tree genocide. Also thorny vines and ivy were just cut down in their prime.
I have let one tree (40' tall) live....I was going to cut it down but there was a nest up in it...so I left it. I didn't want to...but I didn't want to deal with the blood either. I have been leaving the Christmas berry bushes alone. But I did destroy some holly bushes.

Eventually I'm going to get some castor bean bushes for the tree line. (They naturally repel the moles and gophers) Castor bean do get rather large...about 5-8' wide and about as tall....but that's about it...and the critters hate them.

Forum List

Back