Leisure Studies Prof at Univ of Iowa attacks GOP for supporting jobs

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Leisure studies professor??? This is the kind of crap that us taxpayers pay for!!!

Leisure studies professor rebukes Republicanss liking jobs | The Daily Caller

02/10/2014

A professor of leisure studies at the University of Iowa has written a 1,278-word essay excoriating Republicans for criticizing both unemployment caused by Obamacare and unemployment generally.

Also, there is such a thing as a leisure studies major at taxpayer-supported American universities.

The essay by Benjamin Kline Hunnicut, entitled “Why Do Republicans Want Us to Work All the Time?” appears in Politico Magazine.

Hunnicut begins by admitting that the Congressional Budget Office has forecast that the Affordable Care Act “will effectively reduce the U.S. work force” by 2.5 million jobs “over the next decade.”

He then criticizes Republicans for calling 2.5 million lost jobs undesirable

“The president’s critics, in high dudgeon, are fulminating about lay-abouts and scofflaws actually choosing to work less than what God intended, predicting a host of ills that will supposedly befall the nation, from moral turpitude to economic ruin,” Hunnicut writes.

The leisure studies professor then lays out his vision of the “American Dream,” which largely involves Americans forgoing their desires “to consume bigger houses, fancier clothes” and “faster cars.”

He suggests that society would improve if people would focus on the kind of happiness he enjoys instead of “acquiring more stuff.” Specifically, he says Americans should “devote more and more of our lives to the ‘pursuit of happiness.’

It's too bad that no one can be hired with all of those record corporate profits.

• Banned
Actually i agree that americans are too focused on status symbols like big houses and big cars and big TVs.
Status symbols show that you care what other people think of you, and thus are a sign of your insecurity and inferiority.

Most of those I know are more concerned with how they are going to make the car payment on their Chevy spark let alone a big luxury car.

Most people I know are just trying to get along. Now where I work(ed) people were paid well and could afford luxuries. But let me tell you one thing if someone tried to cut the Unions overtime their would be hell to pay. The Union was much more concerned with their overtime then they were with getting more people hired and now it is coming back to bite the company in the ass as people retire or try to retire.

This guy who wrote the article and is telling us what are dreams are and how we should inspire to be more like him does have it right, somewhat. He is getting paid 6 figures to teach some pretend classes that no one will be able to get a job. So he is supporting his vision of no one working except part time.

Actually i agree that americans are too focused on status symbols like big houses and big cars and big TVs.
Status symbols show that you care what other people think of you, and thus are a sign of your insecurity and inferiority.

Actually is that what YOUR focus is on? I say YOUR because you can only speak for yourself as this professor should only speak for himself instead of lecturing people on what they think when he really can not know.

Or maybe status symbols are just, you know, signs of status.

Are insecurity and inferiority wealth-bearing traits? Luxury items are fruits of a successful person's confidence and abilities.

• Banned
[

Are insecurity and inferiority wealth-bearing traits? Luxury items are fruits of a successful person's confidence and abilities.

Abilities? Most rich people are useless parasites with no useful skill. Lawyers, politicians, entertainers, athletes, bankers, stock speculators. For every good billionaire like the late steve jobs there are 50 like lebron or warren buffet.

Leisure studies professor??? This is the kind of crap that us taxpayers pay for!!!

Leisure studies professor rebukes Republicanss liking jobs | The Daily Caller

02/10/2014

A professor of leisure studies at the University of Iowa has written a 1,278-word essay excoriating Republicans for criticizing both unemployment caused by Obamacare and unemployment generally.

Also, there is such a thing as a leisure studies major at taxpayer-supported American universities.

The essay by Benjamin Kline Hunnicut, entitled “Why Do Republicans Want Us to Work All the Time?” appears in Politico Magazine.

Hunnicut begins by admitting that the Congressional Budget Office has forecast that the Affordable Care Act “will effectively reduce the U.S. work force” by 2.5 million jobs “over the next decade.”

He then criticizes Republicans for calling 2.5 million lost jobs undesirable

“The president’s critics, in high dudgeon, are fulminating about lay-abouts and scofflaws actually choosing to work less than what God intended, predicting a host of ills that will supposedly befall the nation, from moral turpitude to economic ruin,” Hunnicut writes.

The leisure studies professor then lays out his vision of the “American Dream,” which largely involves Americans forgoing their desires “to consume bigger houses, fancier clothes” and “faster cars.”

He suggests that society would improve if people would focus on the kind of happiness he enjoys instead of “acquiring more stuff.” Specifically, he says Americans should “devote more and more of our lives to the ‘pursuit of happiness.’

Okay, asshole, be sure to let us know how it works out when you try to pay your bills with "happiness."

I'd love to see the leisure studies curriculum.

Mastering the lounge chair 101...
Sleeping in as a way of life...
High speed TV remoting...
Advanced not burning calories...
Cheap vacations on government handouts...
The effects of sweating on life span longevity...
Tenured professorship, the height of leisure...

Only in liberal land.

[

Abilities? Most rich people are useless parasites with no useful skill. Lawyers, politicians, entertainers, athletes, bankers, stock speculators. For every good billionaire like the late steve jobs there are 50 like lebron or warren buffet.

Back that up with some actual facts.

Start here:

The World's Billionaires List - Forbes

Which ones on that list do you see as "useless parasites?"

[

Start here:

Hey bigtalk. Tell me what warren buffet has ever done to help america. He doesn't manage companies. He's just a speculator. THINK

Start here:

Hey bigtalk. Tell me what warren buffet has ever done to help america. He doesn't manage companies. He's just a speculator. THINK

You already mentioned Warren Buffet. I'm not here to defend anyone, I'm trying to see if you thought your point through. So in that list, which ones do you consider "useless parasites?" After all, you said this: "For every good billionaire like the late steve jobs there are 50 like lebron or warren buffet."

Are there 50 people on the list of billionaires you even know about?

I am amazed by how much money/business is involved in leisure......... i.e. Golf!

This is the democrat declaration of war on working.

Of course. Dems want everyone on welfare and voting for them!! They are anti-jobs.

And your whole premise is to drive in the left lane at the speed limit. .

Fuck you and move over.

I don't know what driving has to do with this thread but i will humor your micro-brain and admit yes, i drive in the left lane at the speed limit. That forces the psycho speeders to do the same and save lives. I personally save a dozen lives every month.

If these liberal pukes had their way, there wouldn't be tax payers for the government to steal from. Then what?

Forum List

Back