Lesbian Says Priest denied me Communion at mom's funeral because I'm gay

Obviously, her brother was family. Being gay matters more than such trivial things, TO SOME.
If you would like to say something about me, don't be afraid to do so. Passive-aggression is not all that courageous.

I always welcome what folks think about me, about what I think, about what I feel, about what my views are, and what my motivations are. It's great entertainment.

So is passive-aggression .

That is not a passive aggressive statement. She is stating that you are petty enough to think that the fact of this woman being gay means more to YOU than it means to her family.
Given your record of misrepresenting my words, I'll allow her to answer. I think that's prudent.

If you would like to say something about me, don't be afraid to do so. Passive-aggression is not all that courageous.

I always welcome what folks think about me, about what I think, about what I feel, about what my views are, and what my motivations are. It's great entertainment.

So is passive-aggression .

That is not a passive aggressive statement. She is stating that you are petty enough to think that the fact of this woman being gay means more to YOU than it means to her family.
Given your record of misrepresenting my words, I'll allow her to answer. I think that's prudent.

Given your record of over analyzing my posts, I'll allow you this statement.

You wouldn't be too far off. My undergraduate degree is chemical engineering. ;)

I have a close friend who is a physicist. He has a helluva time being Buddhist. My niece and her husband are engineers.

Their whole wedding was planned to a tee.
I would think he would have an easier time.

Just a thought of mine.

He likes recieving teachings from Buddhist scholars but he has a tough time with guru yoga.

You are joking, right?

No - I am not. I am familiar with the altar
And I am familiar with Holy Communion.

Not a "Communion Altar."
Why don't you go ahead and explain, asswipe.

Well, the Holy Eucharist is also known as the Blessed Sacrament of the Altar.

i always thought those little side altars that only have space for a tabernacle were called communion altars as opposed to the main or high altar.

fortunately, we have warrior"call me st. augustine"102 here to adjudicate what is and isn't proper.

thank god

The priest was wrong. If Barbara Jordan hadn't complained, the archdiocese wouldn't have known of the priest's unkind behavior. How does the priest know the woman was in sin. She could be celibate. Just living with a woman doesn't mean anything.
But the archdiocese issued an apology. Refusing the woman communion, AND refusing to go with the family to the cemetery, was uncalled for.

Yup. It was mean. The priest left the Church while Ms Johnson was delivering the eulogy. This woman has been with her partner for 20 years.

Some of you can't see how fucked that is?
The priest also refused to accompany the coffin to the cemetery. They were forced to find a "stand in". What a dick.

Not a "Communion Altar."

i always thought those little side altars that only have space for a tabernacle were called communion altars as opposed to the main or high altar.

fortunately, we have warrior"call me st. augustine"102 here to adjudicate what is and isn't proper.

thank god

You're referring to the "The Eucharistic" or "Blessed Sacrament" Chapel," Del-do.

No tabernacle around....

Thus, no "Communion Altar," or whatever the snake charmer called it.

"872. In the broader perspective of Canon 938 §2, it is clear that a Blessed Sacrament chapel cannot be required in every church. Unlike girm, no. 276, the Code favors no specific place for reservation. However, as indicated in Eucharisticum Mysterium, no. 53, and its adapted repetition in 1973, there are situations when a Blessed Sacrament chapel is appropriate * for example, in a cathedral or major church frequented by crowds of tourists or pilgrims, such as the Roman basilicas, or where a safe place is required for perpetual adoration. The chapel may also be appropriate in the rare case where the tabernacle would seem very distant and inaccessible if placed at the back of a deep sanctuary. Moreover, the Ceremonial of Bishops, no. 49, citing a very ancient tradition, recommends a chapel for cathedrals.

The priest also refused to accompany the coffin to the cemetery. They were forced to find a "stand in". What a dick.

Good for the priest. Catholics don't "make shit up on the fly," asslips, to accomodate snake charmers and Heathens. Rules are rules.

Not a "Communion Altar."

thank god

I think you are correct, the little tables where the communion alter boys/girls perform their eucharist duties.

thank god

I think you are correct, the little tables where the communion alter boys/girls perform their eucharist duties.

"Communion Altar Boys?"
Chist are you fucking dense.

thank god

You're referring to the "The Eucharistic" or "Blessed Sacrament" Chapel," Del-do.

No tabernacle around....

Thus, no "Communion Altar," or whatever the snake charmer called it.

"872. In the broader perspective of Canon 938 §2, it is clear that a Blessed Sacrament chapel cannot be required in every church. Unlike girm, no. 276, the Code favors no specific place for reservation. However, as indicated in Eucharisticum Mysterium, no. 53, and its adapted repetition in 1973, there are situations when a Blessed Sacrament chapel is appropriate * for example, in a cathedral or major church frequented by crowds of tourists or pilgrims, such as the Roman basilicas, or where a safe place is required for perpetual adoration. The chapel may also be appropriate in the rare case where the tabernacle would seem very distant and inaccessible if placed at the back of a deep sanctuary. Moreover, the Ceremonial of Bishops, no. 49, citing a very ancient tradition, recommends a chapel for cathedrals.

mad google skilz, d00d

you'll excuse me if i don't give a fuck what it says, your eminence.

:thup:

thank god

"Communion Altar Boys?"
Chist are you fucking dense.

Isn't that the duty of the altar children? To assist with the preparation of the communion service. The priest walks along the altar rail and the children hold the communiun plate.

what is your problem?

This woman was using her mother's death to force the Catholic Church generally and this priest specifically to do something it had a religious prohibition against. To use this opportunity to force it to change. This is something quite common to homosexuals, they use their children in the same way.

If they object to Catholic beliefs so much, find another Church. If someone thinks that the RCC or LDS are cults, find another religion that appeals to you. Go to the Unitarians or someplace else. No one is forced to go to Church.

This woman was using her mother's death to force the Catholic Church generally and this priest specifically to do something it had a religious prohibition against. To use this opportunity to force it to change. This is something quite common to homosexuals, they use their children in the same way.

If they object to Catholic beliefs so much, find another Church. If someone thinks that the RCC or LDS are cults, find another religion that appeals to you. Go to the Unitarians or someplace else. No one is forced to go to Church.
This is something quite common to homosexuals, they use their children in the same way.
Many gay Americans probably do not have children. Did that not occur to you?

i think you've got it backwards.

this priest decided to use her mother's funeral to force her specifically to act the way he wanted her to.

i don't expect you to understand that because you're a dope.

Meh, I'm not unhappy the priest did that. I didn't know receiving communion was a right.

Of course, some of you know I have a bit of bias at the moment about all this, especially in the DC Metro area. ;)

It's not a 'right' but the Priest was wrong to refuse.... particularly at such an emotional time.
Agreed. The diocese made it right.

Now, ask yourself if SHE used her mother's funeral to make a political point.

The priest at the church did not know her. I doubt she is a member at that parish. I doubt she is a member at any parish, with a 19 year same sex relationship.

So, why would a fallen away or even a non-Catholic insist on communion? Maybe because the Maryland House of Delegates just passed a same sex marriage law (legalizing) and the Governor of MD is to sign it Friday?

Hmmmmm.

I am sure that is what she was thinking about at her mother's funeral.
My dad is a "fallen" Catholic, and he still receives communion anytime he goes to a Catholic Funeral.

It's not a 'right' but the Priest was wrong to refuse.... particularly at such an emotional time.
Agreed. The diocese made it right.

Now, ask yourself if SHE used her mother's funeral to make a political point.

The priest at the church did not know her. I doubt she is a member at that parish. I doubt she is a member at any parish, with a 19 year same sex relationship.

So, why would a fallen away or even a non-Catholic insist on communion? Maybe because the Maryland House of Delegates just passed a same sex marriage law (legalizing) and the Governor of MD is to sign it Friday?

Hmmmmm.

I am sure that is what she was thinking about at her mother's funeral.
My dad is a "fallen" Catholic, and he still receives communion anytime he goes to a Catholic Funeral.

Technically, he should go to confession prior to receiving communion. But I doubt that the Church would be all that bothered about it.

Forum List

Back