Let's put an end to this nonsense once & for all

Do you think that an ex convict is incapable of making rational decisions or choices as it pertains

• Yes

• No

• I made some amazing smoked chicken today!

Results are only viewable after voting.
As it pertains to politics?

So many of you know I am a VOTING, and boisterous ex con. I served my time, learned my "lesson" and became one of the few that reintigrated into society.

Put aside your political bias about different states passing or suggesting that ex prisoners be allowed to vote. Do you believe my experience makes my opinion or vote somehow less valuable than yours? I'm not talking about the "right" to vote, I'm talking about opinions & wisdom.

So many of you think my status is a reason to ridicule or insult. More often than not I see those insults as an inability to respond coherently to an argument I've made.
You wrote this:

Grampa Murked U - Where, if anywhere, does personal responsibility fit into that? I made shit wages when I started out in life. In fact my first two bosses only hired me because of the tax incentives they got for hiring an ex con.

And yet it seems you don't want others to be given the same chance you were given.
Please prove your last sentence or just SHUT THE FUCK UP
If I went through your posts, will I find complaints about helping others. About "personal responsibility"?

I think if you have done your time, you have paid your debt to society

If ex-cons can pay taxes, they should be allowed to vote

Barring neurological issues, I disagree. Recidivism isn't caused by a personality type, it's caused by many, many factors - including the bias against felons in terms of becoming functioning members of society.

So, I'm curious, at what point do we stop trying? I was just looking at some NIJ statistics from 2005 which followed 405,000 prisoners who were released from jail. Nearly 67% fell to recidivism in the first three years after release, with 75% of them doing so five years after. To me it takes up so much time and taxpayer money to continue rehabilitating people who continually violate the law despite our best efforts...could it be the efficacy of the treatment?

Recidivism | National Institute of Justice

It costs many times the "taxpayer money" to keep people in jail than we spend on "rehabilitating" them.
and SOME (see OP :p ) still walk around w/ a chip on their shoulder, emo-ing out all the time

Barring neurological issues, I disagree. Recidivism isn't caused by a personality type, it's caused by many, many factors - including the bias against felons in terms of becoming functioning members of society.

So, I'm curious, at what point do we stop trying? I was just looking at some NIJ statistics from 2005 which followed 405,000 prisoners who were released from jail. Nearly 67% fell to recidivism in the first three years after release, with 75% of them doing so five years after. To me it takes up so much time and taxpayer money to continue rehabilitating people who continually violate the law despite our best efforts...could it be the efficacy of the treatment?

It costs many times the "taxpayer money" to keep people in jail than we spend on "rehabilitating" them.
and SOME (see OP :p ) still walk around w/ a chip on their shoulder, emo-ing out all the time
Emoing?

Umm wtf is that?

Emoing?

Umm wtf is that?
you get worked- up easily and you thrive on it. You LOVE stirring the pot, as it were.

I see. So how do we keep them from going back then? It's a waste of money either way. First in the attempt to "rehab" them, second for each of the times they get sent back to jail. Something has to give...

You have to examine what is available in your state. The first time that many offenders can access mental health care (or health care) may be when they are sent to prison. So, if you are dealing with an inmate that has mental health issues and has medication while in the DOC and after they are released they no longer have access to it then they cannot stabilize themselves. There may be plenty NA/AA meetings in the DOC.............no success rate btw OR a program focusing on crystal meth with a five percent success rate then there is no rehabilitation going on. You know why they are in there? No cost. Either actually focus on rehabilitation or don't.

Female offenders have a whole different ball game going on because these are the ones that will be trying to get their kids back. Their success has to start much earlier before they are released.

I think OP should be able to vote, as he seems to be able to be reasonable at times, depending on his offense however. Some offenses can never be reciprocated by time served

Last edited:

Emoing?

Umm wtf is that?
you get worked- up easily and you thrive on it. You LOVE stirring the pot, as it were.
Every poster on this board finds enjoyment in making the opposition wet themselves. If they didn't they wouldn't be here. So yes, i do enjoy it. Thanks for stating the obvious.

So many of you know I am a VOTING, and boisterous ex con. I served my time, learned my "lesson" and became one of the few that reintigrated into society.

Put aside your political bias about different states passing or suggesting that ex prisoners be allowed to vote. Do you believe my experience makes my opinion or vote somehow less valuable than yours? I'm not talking about the "right" to vote, I'm talking about opinions & wisdom.

So many of you think my status is a reason to ridicule or insult. More often than not I see those insults as an inability to respond coherently to an argument I've made.

You did the crime, you did your time, and now you're a free individual. It is true some will look at you as scum of the Earth, but little secret those people are the same ones that usually believe the Earth is flat and the Moon is made of cheese...

As for your right to vote, well you are not in Prison, so yeah you should have that right as for owning a firearm, well maybe after five years being out I would extend that right back to you...

As for wisdom, well the only way we can become more wise is to learn from our mistakes in the past, but for me I just become more of a wise ass...

Making a mistake (or more accurately, getting caught) does not make someone incapable of casting an informed vote. Committing a crime does not mean a person has too little intelligence to understand political matters. A person might gain wisdom from having served time in prison that others do not; at the least, that person has a different perspective, different experience, and can bring that to their vote when it comes to matters of law and the prison system.

Even if I were to ridicule or insult you for having spent time in prison (not that I plan to) that would not make you, or any other ex-con, less wise than me or make your opinion less valid. I am of the opinion that plenty of idiots who have not run far enough afoul of the law to go to prison vote, so why begrudge those who have been inside?

Forum List

Back