• Less Than Minimum Wage

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Barely More Than Minimum Wage

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • What's Minimum Wage?

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters
My advice is the same as the one my Papa gave me many years ago;

"You can work for someone else and make them money, or you can work for your self and make money for yourself.Learn a trade and start your own company."~H.C. Helm

I started my own business at age 23. I retired in 2013. At age 52.

Good for you - and I mean that.
But things are different today than then. Small businesses are dying everywhere - I imagine you know this. It is not impossible to start your own company now - but it is much harder.
You will have to compete with corporations 10,000 times larger than you...deal with regulations and codes designed and even written by corporations that sponsered the bills to make the regulations and codes.
It is very different now Moonglow. I am 48, so I am old enough to remember what America was before corporate takeover of virtually everything.

Wouldn't raising minimum wage just raise the cost of everything?

So you'd be getting a few dollar more, but everything would cost more. How does that help?

Costs have gone up over the years regardless yet minimum wage hasn't gone up with inflation. Why is that?

That doesn't answer the question. Would raising the minimum wage just increase the cost of everything? If so, how does that help?

If a store has to pay Mike two dollars more per hour, where do you think those extra two dollars are coming from? Then when Mike needs some milk, Mike pays for those extra two dollars.
No, it wouldn't. Problem solved. Unless of course you have proof otherwise.

SO why not just make the minimum wage $1000/hour? Then we'd all be rich!

Because that's just dumb. That wouldn't make economic sense for the business. But do I really need to explain that to you?

He forgot another choice.
Do you work for a corporation that will exploit the hell out of you.
Troll Thread again by this person.

EXACTLY! Scum big shots in wife's company are getting bonus's ya know those making about 100k a year or so. What do her and the other CNA's get? Not shit. Oh actually she gets to work the day before and the day of Christmas. Ya know to hell with giving her the night off so she can be home in the morning when the kids want to open their presents...fucking hate her job...she already said she is leaving soon as she gets the license she needs...should be less than a month. 1 person she was in the class with already left went into private home care..much more money and less BS.

She has to work Christmas Day? That sucks.

But good for her. Glad she is getting her license and moving on to better things.

Do you think this present company has done her net good? It is employment and experience and it did motivate her to get her license.

Wouldn't raising minimum wage just raise the cost of everything?

So you'd be getting a few dollar more, but everything would cost more. How does that help?

No, it wouldn't

Never has

Not true.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/images/opinion/01divide-aaronson_prices.pdf

But you used to make $2/hr and could afford a new car?

New cars are lot more today. Of course people make a lot more than $2/hr too.

Thats the point

Everyone talks about how minimum wage is only meant to be a starter wage. But you cannot even get started today on what you make on minimum wage. Like I tried to point out, I could pay for college, get an apartment, buy a car based on that lousy $2.10 an hour I used to make

You can't do that now

Good advice for those that can and will start their own business/company. But then who do you employ and how to you pay them?

My advice is the same as the one my Papa gave me many years ago;

"You can work for someone else and make them money, or you can work for your self and make money for yourself.Learn a trade and start your own company."~H.C. Helm

I started my own business at age 23. I retired in 2013. At age 52.

I want to know what's driving this minimum wage debate.

Does anybody in here honestly work for Minimum Wage?

Be honest..... Anybody?

That's what I thought. dimocraps are just getting their marching orders from OFA and polluting this Board with their bullshit propaganda messages.

Those people are either at their first part-time job right now or their second (because no employer who pays minimum wage will give anybody more than 30 hours a week).

They don't have time for message boards or stupid questions from idiots like you.

I used to make minimum wage ($2.10 an hour)

I was able to pay my way through college just working summers. Why can't kids do that today?

I went to the U of OK, 1982. It was 21 dollars a credit hour with the health care fee. Today it ten times more.
The most expensive college was the U of Ark. It was 68 dollars a credit hour in 1988. Now it's over 200 dollars a credit hour, but now that I am close to 65 I am getting excited. You can attend the U of Ark for free.

Yep, I figured for a "free shit" kinda guy.

Be honest..... Anybody?

That's what I thought. dimocraps are just getting their marching orders from OFA and polluting this Board with their bullshit propaganda messages.

Those people are either at their first part-time job right now or their second (because no employer who pays minimum wage will give anybody more than 30 hours a week).

They don't have time for message boards or stupid questions from idiots like you.

Oh boomotherfuckinghoo...

:lol:

Costs have gone up over the years regardless yet minimum wage hasn't gone up with inflation. Why is that?

That doesn't answer the question. Would raising the minimum wage just increase the cost of everything? If so, how does that help?

If a store has to pay Mike two dollars more per hour, where do you think those extra two dollars are coming from? Then when Mike needs some milk, Mike pays for those extra two dollars.
No, it wouldn't. Problem solved. Unless of course you have proof otherwise.

SO why not just make the minimum wage $1000/hour? Then we'd all be rich!

Because that's just dumb. That wouldn't make economic sense for the business. But do I really need to explain that to you?

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/images/opinion/01divide-aaronson_prices.pdf

But it WOULD make economic sense for a business to raise it to $10? :cuckoo:

Maybe I misunderstood, sorry to be rude. Yes, please explain.

He forgot another choice.
Do you work for a corporation that will exploit the hell out of you.
Troll Thread again by this person.

Eat shit.

You don't like it? Stay the fuck out.

The world doesn't revolve around you, cupcake

I only post in about 1/4 of the threads that get started on this board. If that.... :dunno:

ETA:

I just took a count...... Of the 25 threads on the front page, I've posted in exactly four. On the weekends I hardly post at all. Some, but not much.

Please don't stop by to tell us how uninterested you are in a thread.

Get a fucking life, douchebag

Last edited:

Be honest..... Anybody?

Yeah, roll up to the window at McDonald's with that attitude and you really will have to wonder about the Secret Sauce on your burger.

Yeah, roll up to the window at McDonald's with that attitude and you really will have to wonder about the Secret Sauce on your burger.

I don't eat fast food.... the food sucks and 90% of the workers are insufferable, braindead trolls.

I used to make minimum wage ($2.10 an hour)

I was able to pay my way through college just working summers. Why can't kids do that today?

I went to the U of OK, 1982. It was 21 dollars a credit hour with the health care fee. Today it ten times more.
The most expensive college was the U of Ark. It was 68 dollars a credit hour in 1988. Now it's over 200 dollars a credit hour, but now that I am close to 65 I am getting excited. You can attend the U of Ark for free.

Why pass it up, dumbass?

The only reason anyone's wages should increase is because their boss believes the deserve to earn more.

I don't eat fast food.... the food sucks and 90% of the workers are insufferable, braindead trolls.

Fer real.....

Stop by a Fast Food place and tell me how those idiots deserve $15 an hour.

Bunch of disinterested, indifferent, rude, mouth-breathing retards.

It was different 15-20 years ago when people still tried to instill a work ethic in their kids. You could get some decent quality individuals.

Today? At minimum wage, they're WAY overpaid

Why pass it up, dumbass?

Uhm, maybe so as to not be a fucking parasite that lives off his fellow man?

No, it wouldn't

Never has

Not true.

But you used to make $2/hr and could afford a new car?

New cars are lot more today. Of course people make a lot more than $2/hr too.

Thats the point

Everyone talks about how minimum wage is only meant to be a starter wage. But you cannot even get started today on what you make on minimum wage. Like I tried to point out, I could pay for college, get an apartment, buy a car based on that lousy $2.10 an hour I used to make

You can't do that now

Most states' minimum wage is higher than federal one right now. And I know fast food places around where I live pay more than the state minimum wage. Not much more, granted. But more.

My point is COSTS have gone way up.

It's like with a home. If my wife and I are working and we aren't making enough to make ends meet at the end of the month, I look at ways to reduce costs (namely her shopping and my car and beer habit). I look at cost first.

And I think by artificially increasing some standard wage up to a "livable level", we aren't doing anything to control costs and they are going to get outta hand. Imagine an apartment, car, college, etc after those cost increases. Guess we'd just have to raise the minimum wage again?

Last edited:

Fer real.....

Stop by a Fast Food place and tell me how those idiots deserve $15 an hour.

Bunch of disinterested, indifferent, rude, mouth-breathing retards.

It was different 15-20 years ago when people still tried to instill a work ethic in their kids. You could get some decent quality individuals.

Today? At minimum wage, they're WAY overpaid

I will have to say, here were I live, many of the Subway's are owned by Indians... Mom works there, dad works there.. the kids. Usually very good service and always polite and clean.

pjb-550x393.jpg

^^At minimum wage, is way overpaid^^

Thats the point

You can't do that now

You are right. Despite what some may say to this post, which will be wrong.
You are right.
However - I will bet where is where we will part ways - part of the reason you cannot "start" at $7.25 an hour is because education costs are out of control. And they are out of control because of artificial demand created by the government. Way-way-way too many kids are attending college today - at least half shouldn't be there. The failure rates of even really good schools are commonly 60% or higher. And that is with many of them getting their tuition paid by the government!!
In 2013 my wife and I have paid $11,300 towards our two kids who are attending. And that $11,300 is not even half of their cost. Both have scholarship money, both have jobs - and both save as much as they can (I make sure of it) - but we still pay for most of their food and clothing. Because their schooling totally eats everything they can possibly make.
But alas - this administration wants to increase education grants...which will further drive up tuition and hurt people like us who do the right thing.

Forum List

Back