Liberals Aren’t Liking This Newly-Discovered Photo Of The 1924 Democratic Convention…

[

5. The Democrat Party has always been the party of slavery, segregation, and second -class citizenship.

03195r.jpg

Civil rights have always been conservative versus liberal not Democrats versus Republicans. In the US it's mostly been the North versus the South.

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia

Both, Northern and Southern Democrats running against Lincoln's Republican party were pro slavery.
:lol: You keep saying Democrat like it means something. They were Southern, white Christian conservatives that started the KKK and they are still, predominantly, southern, white Christians conservatives.

Again, they were members of what party?

The party of White Christian Conservative Southern men.

Yep, who just happen to be Democrats.

Yep- the party of Democrats is of course still the party of White Christian Conservative Southern men.....

Of course......

Which is why of course the Democrats have been defending the flying of the Confederate Flag,and the Confederate monuments....

Oh wait- that has been the Republicans.....

Both, Northern and Southern Democrats running against Lincoln's Republican party were pro slavery.
:lol: You keep saying Democrat like it means something. They were Southern, white Christian conservatives that started the KKK and they are still, predominantly, southern, white Christians conservatives.

Yep- the party of Democrats is of course still the party of White Christian Conservative Southern men.....

Of course......

Which is why of course the Democrats have been defending the flying of the Confederate Flag,and the Confederate monuments....

It doesn't matter what you were asked, your answer is always the same...

The question was: Why would party that since its inception fought for civil rights and had blacks on their side just give up on it?

Seems like quite a few more than five. It first reared its head in '64.

1964_large.png
Names please.
You expect me to give you millions of names? Don't people count, if they're not famous, in your world? Take the hit. People in the South switched parties. It was part of Nixon's plan to get elected.

No dupe, just read the post you replied to and you'll eventually figure out what am I asking. If not, read it again, as many times is necessary until it hits you.

So, start being dupe and name, not millions, but just five southern, white, racist, elected officials that switched from Democrat to Republican party.
If I were to do that, I would be a dupe for playing your little game. We all know what the deal was. Nixon even had a name for it, The Southern Strategy. What difference does it make if I can name Billy Bob Wilson, Billy Bob Smith, Billy Bob Jones, Billy Bob Lee and Billy Bob James?

Again, I am asking again that you name five southern, white, racist, elected officials that switched from Democrat to Republican party. Just five...

Again I will point out that starting in 1964- the Republican Party chose to nominate men who had opposed the 1964 Civil Rights Act

Barry Goldwater- who voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act.
Ronald Reagan- famously running for governor telling California voters: "If an individual wants to discriminate against Negroes or others in selling or renting his house," he said, "he has a right to do so."
George Bush- ran for office in Texas on the issue of opposing the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Which of course just demonstrates what MLK Jr. said in 1964

Meanwhile I will leave you with the words from Martin Luther King Jr.From 1964 (not 1924)
The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism. All people of goodwill viewed with alarm and concern the frenzied wedding at the Cow Palace of the KKK with the radical right. The “best man” at this ceremony was a senator whose voting record, philosophy, and program were anathema to all the hard-won achievements of the past decade.

....... On the urgent issue of civil rights, Senator Goldwater represented a philosophy that was morally indefensible and socially suicidal. While not himself a racist, Mr. Goldwater articulated a philosophy which gave aid and comfort to the racist. His candidacy and philosophy would serve as an umbrella under which extremists of all stripes would stand. In the light of these facts and because of my love for America, I had no alternative but to urge every Negro and white person of goodwill to vote against Mr. Goldwater and to withdraw support from any Republican candidate that did not publicly disassociate himself from Senator Goldwater and his philosophy

Names please.
You expect me to give you millions of names? Don't people count, if they're not famous, in your world? Take the hit. People in the South switched parties. It was part of Nixon's plan to get elected.

No dupe, just read the post you replied to and you'll eventually figure out what am I asking. If not, read it again, as many times is necessary until it hits you.

So, start being dupe and name, not millions, but just five southern, white, racist, elected officials that switched from Democrat to Republican party.
If I were to do that, I would be a dupe for playing your little game. We all know what the deal was. Nixon even had a name for it, The Southern Strategy. What difference does it make if I can name Billy Bob Wilson, Billy Bob Smith, Billy Bob Jones, Billy Bob Lee and Billy Bob James?

Again, I am asking again that you name five southern, white, racist, elected officials that switched from Democrat to Republican party. Just five...

Again I will point out that starting in 1964- the Republican Party chose to nominate men who had opposed the 1964 Civil Rights Act

Ronald Reagan- famously running for governor telling California voters: "If an individual wants to discriminate against Negroes or others in selling or renting his house," he said, "he has a right to do so."
George Bush- ran for office in Texas on the issue of opposing the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Meanwhile I will leave you with the words from Martin Luther King Jr.From 1964 (not 1924)
The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism. All people of goodwill viewed with alarm and concern the frenzied wedding at the Cow Palace of the KKK with the radical right. The “best man” at this ceremony was a senator whose voting record, philosophy, and program were anathema to all the hard-won achievements of the past decade.

....... On the urgent issue of civil rights, Senator Goldwater represented a philosophy that was morally indefensible and socially suicidal. While not himself a racist, Mr. Goldwater articulated a philosophy which gave aid and comfort to the racist. His candidacy and philosophy would serve as an umbrella under which extremists of all stripes would stand. In the light of these facts and because of my love for America, I had no alternative but to urge every Negro and white person of goodwill to vote against Mr. Goldwater and to withdraw support from any Republican candidate that did not publicly disassociate himself from Senator Goldwater and his philosophy

Despite its 100 years of civil rights history prior to Goldwater and Goldwater’s own support for civil rights, you lefties calling him a racist or racially insensitive because a man stood on principle.

Do you have any idea why Goldwater voted against the CRA of 1964?

Of course......

The question was: Why would party that since its inception fought for civil rights and had blacks on their side just give up on it?

For political power of course.

The Republican Party was founded on opposing slavery- not on 'civil rights'. The Republican Party didn't call for equal treatment for blacks or women or Mexicans when the party was founded. It didn't call for the vote for women. Just look at the Republican Platforms of 1856, 1860 and 1864- not one call for equal treatment of blacks or women.

So your party- to its credit- from its inception fought to end slavery. That was 150 years ago.

And because of that stance- the Southern White Conservative Christian men voted almost exclusively Democrat from 1865 to 1960- roughly 100 years.

And African Americans voted almost exclusively Republican until the 1930's.- roughly 70 years.

Starting in the 1930's African Americans started to move towards the Democratic Party in response to FDR's policies- both his Depression era policies, and his WW2 policies, which opened up employment in factories to African Americans.

What sealed the deal though was the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Originally proposed by Kennedy, and then pushed through by LBJ- with the majority votes of both Republicans and Democrats- and opposed by virtually every Southern Senator and Congressman- Republican and Democrat- but most notably opposed by Barry Goldwater.

When the Republicans chose to nominate Barry Goldwater as President in 1964, they lost the remaining African American vote. And that started the changeover of Southern white from Democrat to Republicans.

This didn't happen overnight- party registration didn't change overnight- because these people were life long Democrats, born into Democrat families.

What Republicans are trying to sell is that the White Christian Conservative Southern Racist were Racists as long as they voted Democrat- but in 1964 they continued to be White Christian Southern Conservatives- but they became enlightened and were still everything as before- except racists- and Democrats.

While African Americans in the South- well according to the Republicans- starting in 1964, they still stayed Black Conservative Southern voters- but somehow they all became Black Conservative Southern racist voters when they started voting Democrats.

That is the story you are trying to sell.

And you can see by the numbers, that African Americans aren't buying it.

Despite its 100 years of civil rights history prior to Goldwater and Goldwater’s own support for civil rights, you lefties calling him a racist or racially insensitive because a man stood on principle.

Not me- Martin Luther King Jr. said these words

Wonder why?

-Geaux
--------

The picture was taken during the 1924 Democratic Convention.

klanbake-600x387.jpg

It was also known as “Klanbake.”

In Madison Square Garden, New York City, from June 24 to July 9, a dispute during came up revolving around an attempt by non-Klan delegates, led by Forney Johnston of Alabama, to condemn the organization for its violence in the Democratic Party’s platform.

Liberals Aren’t Liking This Newly-Discovered Photo Of The 1924 Democratic Convention…

Always protestants and mainly radical Evans who didn't like Catholics and Jews and Women freedoms. Also white and southern.

I love revisionist history

First off.... The klan is and always was a Conservative organization. Liberals are not welcome

Secondly.... the second generation klan that emerged in the early 1900 s was comprised of both Democrats in the south and Republicans in the Midwest.

Thirdly..... TODAYS klan is staunchly Republican and Conservative

First off, the klan was started by Democrats.

Second, they were revived in early 1900s again by Democrats (Wilson).

Third, you sure have a proof that Republicans support the klan, do ya?
No, the klan was started by people who happened to be Democrats along with southerners, conservative, Baptist

It just happened they were Democrats, right?

They were white protestants from both parties. It was a radical religious nationalists org and its alive and well today with T, well it began again when a dark skinned half black man became POTUS.

Again, you're not answering the question.

Again, you're not answering the question.

I think Martin Luther King Jr. answers the question quite well on my behalf

What did these two men have in common?

Robert Byrd
Barry Goldwater

Both strongly opposed the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The difference is that the Democrats didn't nominate Robert Byrd to be President.

Goldwater.jpg

How the GOP became the “White Man’s Party”

The 1964 presidential election marked the beginning of the realignment we live with today. Where in 1962 both parties were perceived as equally, if tepidly, supportive of civil rights, two years later 60 percent of the public identified Democrats as more likely to pursue fair treatment, versus only 7 percent who so identified the Republican Party. What happened?

Groundwork for the shift was laid in the run-up to the 1964 election by rightwing elements in the Republican Party, which gained momentum from the loss of the then-moderate Nixon to John F. Kennedy in 1960. This faction of the party had never stopped warring against the New Deal. Its standard bearer was Barry Goldwater, a senator from Arizona and heir to a department store fortune. His pampered upbringing and wealth notwithstanding, Goldwater affected a cowboy’s rough-and-tumble persona in his dress and speech, casting himself as a walking embodiment of the Marlboro Man’s disdain for the nanny state. Goldwater and the reactionary stalwarts who rallied to him saw the Democratic Party as a mortal threat to the nation: domestically, because of the corrupting influence of a powerful central government deeply involved in regulating the marketplace and using taxes to reallocate wealth downward, and abroad in its willingness to compromise with communist countries instead of going to war against them. Goldwater himself, though, was no racial throwback. For instance, in 1957 and again in 1960 he voted in favor of federal civil rights legislation. By 1961, however, Goldwater and his partisans had become convinced that the key to electoral success lay in gaining ground in the South, and that in turn required appealing to racist sentiments in white voters, even at the cost of black support. As Goldwater drawled, “We’re not going to get the Negro vote as a bloc in 1964 and 1968, so we ought to go hunting where the ducks are.”

This racial plan riled more moderate members of the Republican establishment, such as New York senator Jacob Javits, who in the fall of 1963 may have been the first to refer to a “Southern Strategy” in the context of repudiating it. By then, however, the right wing of the party had won out. As the conservative journalist Robert Novak reported after attending a meeting of the Republican National Committee in Denver during the summer of 1963: “A good many, perhaps a majority of the party’s leadership, envision substantial political gold to be mined in the racial crisis by becoming in fact, though not in name, the White Man’s Party. ‘Remember,’ one astute party worker said quietly . . . ‘this isn’t South Africa. The white man outnumbers the Negro 9 to 1 in this country.’ ” The rise of a racially-identified GOP is not a tale of latent bigotry in that party. It is instead a story centered on the strategic decision to use racism to become “the White Man’s Party.”

Yet, heralding the incipient emergence of the new politics of party alignment along racial lines, Barry Goldwater also voted against the civil rights bill. He was one of only five senators from outside the South to do so. Goldwater claimed he saw a looming Orwellian state moving to coerce private citizens to spy on each other for telltale signs of racism. “To give genuine effect to the prohibitions of this bill,” Goldwater contended from the Senate floor, “bids fair to result in the development of an ‘informer’ psychology in great areas of our national life—neighbor spying on neighbor, workers spying on workers, businessmen spying on businessmen.” This all seemed a little hysterical. More calculatingly, it could not have escaped Goldwater’s attention that voting against a civil rights law associated with blacks, Kennedy, and Johnson would help him “go hunting where the ducks are.”
Running for president in 1964, the Arizonan strode across the South, hawking small-government bromides and racially coded appeals. In terms of the latter, he sold his vote against the 1964 Civil Rights Act as a bold stand in favor of “states’ rights” and “freedom of association.” States’ rights, Goldwater insisted, preserved state autonomy against intrusive meddling from a distant power—though obviously the burning issue of the day was the federal government’s efforts to limit state involvement in racial degradation and group oppression. Freedom of association, Goldwater explained, meant the right of individuals to be free from government coercion in choosing whom to let onto their property—but in the South this meant first and foremost the right of business owners to exclude blacks from hotels, restaurants, movie theaters, and retail establishments. Like Wallace, Goldwater had learned how to talk about blacks without ever mentioning race.

Another factor also worked against Goldwater: he was a Republican, and the South reviled the Party of Lincoln. If across the nation neither party was seen as more or less friendly toward civil rights, the South had its own views on the question. There, it was the local Democratic machine that represented white interests, while the GOP was seen as the proximate cause of the Civil War and as the party of the carpetbaggers who had peremptorily ruled the South during Reconstruction. The hostility of generations of white Southerners toward Republicans only intensified with the Republican Eisenhower’s decision to send in federal troops to enforce the Republican Warren’s ruling forbidding school segregation in Brown. Most white Southerners had never voted Republican in their lives, and had vowed—like their parents and grandparents before them— that they never would.

Ultimately, however, these handicaps barely impeded Goldwater’s performance in the South. He convinced many Southern voters to vote Republican for the first time ever, and in the Deep South, comprised of those five states with the highest black populations, Goldwater won outright. The anti-New Deal Republican carried Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina, states in which whites had never voted for a Republican president in more than miniscule numbers. This was a shocking transformation, one that can only be explained by Goldwater’s ability to transmit a set of codes that white voters readily understood as a promise to protect racial segregation.

You're a dunce.

Frankly- being called a dunce by you is a compliment- since by far you are vastly ignorant, hysterically partisan, and believe every kooky konspiracy theory there is.

"Frankly- being called a dunce by you is a compliment-..."

My pleasure....you're a dunce.

Forum List

Back