Liberals, how do you feel about anti-pitbull legislation?

So you're conceding that yes, the size of chihuahas and Great Danes resulted from selective breeding?

Do you have any plans to make a post that doesn't involve a logical fallacy?

What's the fallacy? Your claim is that pit bulls were never bred for a specific set of characteristics.

That is absolutely false.

Do you think greyhounds just happened to be as fast as they are, with no input from humans as to how they were bred?

How can you possibly believe that?

Myth: Pit bulls are genetically driven to kill people.

FACT: Dogs are not machines; they are living organisms. Like all living organisms, a dog’s behavior is influenced by both genetics and environment. How a dog owner manages his or her dog will determine whether the dog becomes a danger to humans. No dog is driven entirely by genetics to attack people, and no dog breed has been created or bred into such a state that all dogs of that breed are compelled to attack people. Dogs that are raised as beloved family pets do not kill people.

While some irresponsible breeders and owners may try to create “killer” dogs, these people are not the norm, and their activities are unethical and, in many cases, illegal. Responsible dog breeders understand that dogs are meant for companionship and love, not for fighting and killing. Responsible breeders understand the wonderful qualities that pit bulls have. They are interested in breeding quality dogs with excellent temperaments.

Pit

Bull

Dogs selectively bred for the purpose of participating in the bloodsport of bull baiting.

In a pit.

And with that, you exhaust your knowledge on the entire subject. Thanks for playing.

You've conceded that the physical characteristics of a dog can be selectively changed.

That truth also applies to behaviour.

Indeed it does. Traditionally, Pitbulls were bred to fight other dogs. Dogs. Dog-dog aggression doesn't equal dog-human aggression. If you are looking specifically at selected for characteristics - gameness, aggression to other dogs, lack of agression to people because humans had to be able to handle the dogs and seperate them. That's a no brainer.

Hey you are the fucktard that said the pit bulls fear you, you lying then or now? Let me know. The owner of the dog that attacked the girl needs to pay for it. The dog needs to be destroyed and the owner jailed, just as if he shot the girl with the gun.
Why choose a golden retriever over a lab? Why choose a lab over a Dob? Why choose a poodle over a Dob?

Why make it illegal to own a lion or a tiger?

There is a huge difference between a domesticated species like a dog, and an undomesticated wild animal, like a tiger.

Which means that the genetics of an animal are of paramount importance.

Not exactly - genetics loads the gun, environment fires it.

A dog and a wolf are genetically almost identical - yet a wolf is not a domestic animal.

Even the worst dog doesn't have the jaw power of a wolf, or the power of a big cat.

And you think the pitbull's jaws are equal to all other domestic dogs?

Seriously?

It's nowhere close to wolf's. So, does it matter? Do we exterminate dogs based on jaw strength?

Plus, you can't discount the selective breeding that has gone into pit bulls to make them want to bite and hang on.
[/quote]

That in itself is not a problem. I've personally known of two cases (one, which I mentioned before) and another, where my own asshole herding dog went to far in nipping a pit's butt and the dog grabbed mine and "held on" yet - in the end, there was very little real damage.

Bite inhibition is what matters, not jawstrenght or "hanging on": Ian Dunbar's Bite Assessment Scale - Animal Guardian

Shall we kill the pitbulls? They're vicious hate machines. I mean, look at this one, he's coming for you right now.

b2c9ebd1ad8a2ff89dd88f46521aa1d4.jpg

[Oh my god, he's so fucking cute!]

So please explain how you feel about this. Why is it okay for the government to kill the puppies?
A lion or bear cub is cute too but when it gets older, look out.

Don't kill any dog. Just spade or neuter every pit bull. In 15 years problem solved. Very simple.
Spade or neuter every progressive... Problem solved.
Ah....you must be a RWr.

Pit

Bull

Dogs selectively bred for the purpose of participating in the bloodsport of bull baiting.

In a pit.

And with that, you exhaust your knowledge on the entire subject. Thanks for playing.

You've conceded that the physical characteristics of a dog can be selectively changed.

That truth also applies to behaviour.

Indeed it does. Traditionally, Pitbulls were bred to fight other dogs. Dogs. Dog-dog aggression doesn't equal dog-human aggression. If you are looking specifically at selected for characteristics - gameness, aggression to other dogs, lack of agression to people because humans had to be able to handle the dogs and seperate them. That's a no brainer.
You admit that pits are bred to be aggressive. Poorly managed, they will express that aggression towards any other creature not able to effectively defend itself, including people, especially children. While responsible breeders and owners do their best to manage and mitigate, the genetically enhanced predisposition of a pit to be aggressive can still surface in most unfortunate manifestations.

If the pit bull breed did not exist today,

would there be any worthwhile reason to create it?

You tell us. There was no useful reason to create a red herring here, yet you did so anyway. How's that working out for you?

Forum List

Back