Liberate the outdoors only? Desantis says he won't liberate bars and movie theaters yet

The whole "liberate" thing was invented by the orange whore and his cronies. It means absolutely nothing. Pitch in, act safe, protect yourself and your fellow human beings.
Fuck off closing the parks, beaches and boat ramps was a dumb idea from the get go! The person that came up with that idea should be shot

I was a little confused. I did not realize that right-wing protests against the lockdowns were aimed at liberating "citizens who wish to do outdoors stuff" alone.

[

Love to do outdoors stuff. Last 60 mile kayak over-nite trip was solo. A lot of people my age are not cut out for it anymore.

Tip of the cap, 60 miles overnight in a kayak is badass in my book.

Enjoyed it. Cumberland river from spillway at Barkley Damn in Kentucky up to the Ohio river. First day was perfect. River high, sunshine, warm but not hot. camped on island where Cumberland joined Ohio at Smithland, Ky, Packed up and came down Ohio River to Foot of Broadway in Paducah, Ky. Second day kinda rough. Turned colder over-nite. Big storms started about 4 A.M. that morning with warnings out, but slept warm and dry in my tent. After hot breakfast and repacking kayak that morning, paddled down the Ohio to Paducah into a strong enough headwind to heavy whitecap the river and make it necessary to tack back and fourth on the Kentucky side to avoid the waves striking the yak at 90 Deg. and avoid tipping, but had to go ahead and make Paducah, as that is where I had had the jeep dropped off. Cellphone went down mid morning due to family trying to check in on me by voice. Made wife call everybody and tell quit calling, because dangerous to quit paddling to take call, hated to not answer, but too late and solar battery pack no good in storm. Made it, and chalked it up to another good adventure.

Sounds kind of dicey, glad you made it.

I was a little confused. I did not realize that right-wing protests against the lockdowns were aimed at liberating "citizens who wish to do outdoors stuff" alone.

[

Love to do outdoors stuff. Last 60 mile kayak over-nite trip was solo. A lot of people my age are not cut out for it anymore.

That depends if he was going upstream or downstream, doesn't it?

[

That's a lot of hours in a kayak regardless. I couldn't do it.

Going downstream at 3 mph (think slower than waking speed) would get you 72 miles.

That's 24 hours in a kayak. Give it a shot and let us know how easy it was.

Didn't do it because it is easy. I do this stuff knowing it is hard, but personally enjoyable, requires good equipment, strength, and a bit of skill and experience, and I use good judgement. Been doing this stuff for years, including night land nav in mountains of New Mexico, hiking, camping, descending and climbing back out of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado, with my twin boys and my brother when the boys were 11 or 12. White water kayaking and over-niting Big Southfork of the Cumberland (class 3,4) in both Tennessee and Kentucky, as well as day trips on other class 3,4 Tennessee whitewater, and open water kayaking off the coast for Florida. Didn't take up skiing until I was 60 and love it, although have no intention of slapping on skins and backpack for over-niting above 10,000, even though I took my Webelos Den winter camping for a week in the mountains of east Tennessee when the boys were young. A lot of difference between 30 deg, relatively dry 200 feet from parking lot and planning to to cross country/camp on snowpack with night time temps down to 12 or below. Would love to do it, but I am past doing it safely. I am a firm believer in safety equipment in my outings. Figure I will have to give up all this stuff in next few years, but it ain't this year. I'm not grizzly adams. I just grew up Boy Scouting, hunting, hiking and fishing it the great out doors, carried it through my combat arm years, picking up more skills, including some climbing, rappelling and sub-zero winter camping, and of course distance hiking with a full pack. Never even thought about getting out until I was up to staff assignments that didn't involve those type of skills. Been keeping my hand in, ever since, even though my wife only goes where she can bivouac in a nice hotel, condo or vacation home.

[

[

Going downstream at 3 mph (think slower than waking speed) would get you 72 miles.

When I can, I kick back paddling enough for steering and listen jazz on Bluetooth while phone stays charged from solar pack on the back deck, stopping for closer look at rock formations, caves or wild life or fishing. No hurry unless I have to gut it out for awhile on white water or paddle hard and steady due to weather conditions on flat water.

[

Enjoyed it. Cumberland river from spillway at Barkley Damn in Kentucky up to the Ohio river. First day was perfect. River high, sunshine, warm but not hot. camped on island where Cumberland joined Ohio at Smithland, Ky, Packed up and came down Ohio River to Foot of Broadway in Paducah, Ky. Second day kinda rough. Turned colder over-nite. Big storms started about 4 A.M. that morning with warnings out, but slept warm and dry in my tent. After hot breakfast and repacking kayak that morning, paddled down the Ohio to Paducah into a strong enough headwind to heavy whitecap the river and make it necessary to tack back and fourth on the Kentucky side to avoid the waves striking the yak at 90 Deg. and avoid tipping, but had to go ahead and make Paducah, as that is where I had had the jeep dropped off. Cellphone went down mid morning due to family trying to check in on me by voice. Made wife call everybody and tell quit calling, because dangerous to quit paddling to take call, hated to not answer, but too late and solar battery pack no good in storm. Made it, and chalked it up to another good adventure.

Sounds kind of dicey, glad you made it.

Yah, me too. But I am always in a good well fitting life vest. Pretty good water skills. Worst case would have been losing kind of expensive equipment and having to hike out to nearest highway. I know when to choose between me and equipment, having destroyed a couple of canoes in my white water treks.

[

[

Before my liver failed, that would have been a piece of cake.

[

[

Sun up to sun down casual with breaks on day one. Camped, then 7:30 to 2:00 pretty constant on day two.

[

[

Sun up to sun down casual with breaks on day one. Camped, then 7:30 to 2:00 pretty constant on day two.

Great for you! It is still not all that strenuous. Have a nice day!

[

[

Great for you! It is still not all that strenuous. Have a nice day!

You have a nice day also and try to take care of that liver.

[

I was hoping to do a white water rafting trip this summer. They have them on the Ottawa River here. One of my friends went with her family and they had a blast. I'm at the age now where I want to do this stuff while I still can. That window isn't going to stay open forever.

[

I was hoping to do a white water rafting trip this summer. They have them on the Ottawa River here. One of my friends went with her family and they had a blast. I'm at the age now where I want to do this stuff while I still can. That window isn't going to stay open forever.

Bingo. You really should. I did it once on a professionally guided run down Middle fork of Pigeon river. Had a great time, before coming back and trashing a fairly high end open canoe the day after, on a solo run. Last open boat whitewater I did before buying a high-end Jackson Kayak, designed specifically for white water. It was actually one of the rafting guides that totaled the canoe, being held upside down over a large rock by the hydraulics on the last drop. I gave the order to jump on it from safety, 30 feet a way on a rock, thinking it would knock it loose of the rock. It knocked it loose alright but drove one of the cross strutts straight down the side of my triple walled goretex, neoprene, fiberglass hull with flotation foam fill between each layer, making it suitable for landfill. Bounced off a lot of rocks before in that canoe and thought it could take anything, but when the raft guide jumped on it as raft passed over, the strutt sliced through it like butter from the top of gunnell to within 4 inches above bottom. Had to be done. I do not believe in leaving equipment to trash a beautiful stream.

Forum List

Back