Libs want to ban loud movies

Here is another link to an AP article.

Connecticut bill to curb loud movies draws support

I think it is purely idiotic.

Dr. Robert Dobie, a professor at the University of Texas who is an expert in noise-induced hearing loss, said the 85-decibel standard is for workers’ prolonged exposure, not occasional loud sounds from a movie.

“The exposure is so brief and intermittent that no one with any expertise would ever say that they have any real risk of hazard or harm,” Dobie said. “I feel quite comfortable that the exposures are not anywhere near hazardous. It’s the combination of level and duration that matters.”

For comparison, the American Tinnitus Association says 85 decibels is the sound of average traffic, 80 decibels is the sound of an alarm clock 2 feet away and 100 decibels is the sound of a blow dryer.

If they are going to do it to theaters, then they need to do it to any Rock concert and of course, HAIRDRYERS, SNOWBLOWERS, HAND DRILLS, CHAIN SAWS ,Model Airplanes, and of course fireworks.... All above 85 decibels, and most above 100 decibels.

we should ban all capital letters on any message board post originating in connecticut.

capital letters are annoyingly loud.

Good. Let's add those damn thumping car stereos. Oh, and most importantly..loud commercials. Ever notice as you watch tv it's all set and cozy..until a commercial comes on and you have to scramble to find the mute or volume button?

Good. Let's add those damn thumping car stereos. Oh, and most importantly..loud commercials. Ever notice as you watch tv it's all set and cozy..until a commercial comes on and you have to scramble to find the mute or volume button?

That irritates me to no end.

everybody should be issued a government approved 'mute' button belt, which will silence everything within 100 yards of the button and replace the sound with chirping birds or elevator music.

Never fear! The nanny state is here! You can have ass fucking and abortion but nothing else!

I don't go to theaters for a number of reasons with that being one of them. The dialogue is often a whisper, especially an action flick, then the loud noise to jar your senses. I don't watch many commercials since everything is time shifted with the dvr but every now and again I can't get to the skip button fast enough and get my ears blasted. It seems completely stupid to me since it's so counter productive.

With technology comes the bad shit.
Will someone be able to check your viewing habits...
Well it's happening now.
Netflix does it.
I get a list of new movies and TV shows and the heading is ....

Because you watched.......

So government will be able to monitor what you watch....

At some point you will be denied acces to hits like "Die Hard" Die Die Die again....
The 20th sequel to the first Die Hard movie because you exceeded the monthly limit on violent movies.

I can see it now...

I get a warning from Netflix saying they turned over my viewing record to the Gay community activists
and they saw that in 3 years of membership to Netflix I have never viewed one selection from their
Gay and Lesbian selection.

So my account will be closed... LOL

Anything over 80db is considered painful. Regulating it to be below 85 isn't all that bad. As someone who grew up during the Walkman age I can tell you I suffer minor hearing damage as a result. Have a continuous flat tone I notice when it's otherwise quiet. Didn't even realize it was hearing damage, thought everybody had that. :)

blow-dryers are over 80 decibels. Painful is over 120.

I understand what you are saying about the Walkman, but as the article points out the movies only have short bursts over 85 decibels it is not sustained.

http://www.asha.org/public/hearing/noise/

Last edited:

Forum List

Back