Libya Goes Islamic And We Helped Pave The Way

It's OFFICIAL. American conservatives are announcing to the world that they would rather have Arabs live under the tyranny (REAL tyranny) of a brutal dictator who indiscriminately kills the citizens of his country than allow them to have a chance at self-governance (that's democracy, folks) despite all the lip service conservatives give to the concept of self-determination.

Yeah, conservatives are so bigoted and fearful of Islam (despite the fact that only a very tiny fraction of Islamic men are terrorists) that conservatives are willing to let Arabs live in constant fear while similtaneously spreading unnecessary fear, themselves, about people who have been oppressed for decades while Arabs' desire to be free was so great that they were willing to risk their lives in a civil war to attain that freedom.

Where is shariah law practiced in a democracy?

Throughout the middle east with some exceptions. Israel is a democracy that does not recognize shariah law. Saudi Arabia is not a democracy but does.

Afghanistan is a democracy. Iran is a democracy. Egypt is a democracy and was even under Mubarak who kept getting reelected. Iraq was a democracy with regular elections and Hussein getting 90% of the vote. Pakistan is a democracy. Turkey, Chad, Qtar, Kuwait. The people quite democratically demanded that shariah law be the law of the land.

Iran is not a democracy, they have a President but the Ayatollahs have the most power in that country which supercedes the President, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard answer directly to the Ayatollah, not the Pres. Also Iraq and Egypt were not really democracies, anyone who didn't vote for Saddam or Mubarak would get visited by the secret police.

Throughout the middle east with some exceptions. Israel is a democracy that does not recognize shariah law. Saudi Arabia is not a democracy but does.

Afghanistan is a democracy. Iran is a democracy. Egypt is a democracy and was even under Mubarak who kept getting reelected. Iraq was a democracy with regular elections and Hussein getting 90% of the vote. Pakistan is a democracy. Turkey, Chad, Qtar, Kuwait. The people quite democratically demanded that shariah law be the law of the land.

Iran is not a democracy, they have a President but the Ayatollahs have the most power in that country which supercedes the President, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard answer directly to the Ayatollah, not the Pres. Also Iraq and Egypt were not really democracies, anyone who didn't vote for Saddam or Mubarak would get visited by the secret police.

They had the vote! They were nominally democracies. Which is pretty much how democracy works over there.

It's OFFICIAL. American conservatives are announcing to the world that they would rather have Arabs live under the tyranny (REAL tyranny) of a brutal dictator who indiscriminately kills the citizens of his country than allow them to have a chance at self-governance (that's democracy, folks) despite all the lip service conservatives give to the concept of self-determination.

Yeah, conservatives are so bigoted and fearful of Islam (despite the fact that only a very tiny fraction of Islamic men are terrorists) that conservatives are willing to let Arabs live in constant fear while similtaneously spreading unnecessary fear, themselves, about people who have been oppressed for decades while Arabs' desire to be free was so great that they were willing to risk their lives in a civil war to attain that freedom.

Not trying to nit-pick, but I'd read up on Mubarak's "elections."

Mubarak admitted to an election being rigged, then won the next election by an even wider margin.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened in other places over there as well.

They had the vote! They were nominally democracies. Which is pretty much how democracy works over there.

Those "elections" in Iran are rigged, they don't even let moderate candidates participate, these "elections" over there are nothing like the ones we have in the West.

Mubarak admitted to an election being rigged, then won the next election by an even wider margin.

And you trust the results of the 2nd election :lol:

And you trust the results of the 2nd election :lol:

Lol well if you rig one election, and win the 2nd one by even more I would have unwavering faith in the 2nd election being a great example of democracy, wouldn't you?!?!?!?!?!?!

Any government that uses religion as a basis for their consitution is a theocracy.

I think we need to study civics a bit here.

The U.N. IS a Democracy.

I'm completely confused by the overt partisian posturing on all these events.

Can't even determine if most posters HAVE a coherent concept of what Foreign Policy in the Mid East should be.

But what I DO KNOW --- is that whether we helped win Democracy for any Arab nation state -- or they took it for themselves --- we have NO BUSINESS dictating their democratically determined choices. And if ANYONE was aware of the public opinion in those countries -- they SHOULD HAVE KNOWN -- that internal policies would NEVER be compliant with Western sensibilities. This is not our job to IMPOSE thru military power or coercion how they determine to organize their legal or social structure.

We are NOT gonna give the keys to the American military to IMPOSE our values on these people. This is NOT a 21st Century Crusade. So y'all had better HOPE that we haven't invested in creating the next Arabian Caliphate.. The policies have been indistiguishable between Reps/Dems. And all have been completely naive about future results.

To wit...

In many cases (as it was in Iran) the only Secular influence available to RESTRAIN Islamic Sharia culture has been a powerful central figure like there was in Egypt or Libya. Good luck with blaming each other for the results...

It's one thing to impose your values on them, but quite another to remind them of the consequences if they threaten us.

Right now nobody fears what we might do if they decide to carry out more attacks in the U.S.

They figure we're fools. Only the renegades like UBL need worry. Governments are safe. A failure to act against Iran proves that.

Quick question, do dead american soldiers ever cross your mind when you formulate an opinion of where we should be warmongering?

I know dead innocent Iranian civilians don't, but what about the thousands of dead american soldiers that would be the fallout of a war with Iran?

For what? To "teach them a lesson"?

Obviously Dr. Drock -- we're not certified to "teach them" anything. 9 years of occupation in Iraq. 10 years of failed "containment" before that. 11 years of War and occupation in Afghan.. Various bombings and incursions into Sudan, Yemen, Lebanon, Pakistan, Somalia, ect...

We are broke. We have sacrificed too many American lives. If we are gonna "teach them a lesson" --- it better be more efficient and to the point.. Millions of dollars each time we let loose a Cruise Missile strike or drone mission.

Who's the proud and principled teacher here??

We need to DEFEND against threats from Islamic radicals. NOT -- violate the sovereignty of every Middle East country..

Yes Saddam was the same way, in those "elections" nobody ran against Saddam, you either voted yes or not, voting no would cause you alot of problems and a visit by the secret police to ask why you didn't vote for Saddam.

Yes Saddam was the same way, in those "elections" nobody ran against Saddam, you either voted yes or not, voting no would cause you alot of problems and a visit by the secret police to ask why you didn't vote for Saddam.
That's right Gravity...and saddam did that without sharia law.

Not much better when 1/2 of America that trends Democratic doesn't get a challenger to Obama on OUR ballot in the primaries.. Essential a FU from one party in the 2 party monopoly that we have. It's Obama or bust..

Not much better when 1/2 of America that trends Democratic doesn't get a challenger to Obama on OUR ballot in the primaries.. Essential a FU from one party in the 2 party monopoly that we have. It's Obama or bust..

Still totally different than Saddams elections, please don't try and compare them. If you vote against Obama you won't get a visit from the secret service asking you why you didn't vote for Barry.

That's right Gravity...and saddam did that without sharia law.

Iraq wasn't all that religious under Saddam, in fact he didn't trust religious people and had them under surveilence in his country, if Saddam wasn't such a dick and played ball with us he would still be around.

I wouldn't trust any election, the next US election is doubtful.

Under Mubarak, Egypt was peaceful and at peace in the region. So was Libya. That is no longer going to be the case.

I wouldn't trust any election, the next US election is doubtful.

Under Mubarak, Egypt was peaceful and at peace in the region. So was Libya. That is no longer going to be the case.

The smart money is on those countries becoming more Islamic and even bigger shit holes than they are now, I have more faith in Libya than I do Egypt for some reason, I have met many Egyptians and most of them are pig headed and stubborn for the most part, they will probably become an Islamic theocracy.

thought you libz were against nation building :eusa_liar:

As long as those crazy Islamic facists were being kept under control, I could care less about their tyrannical leaders.
You watch and see, they are going to be out of control before you know it.

Did I say anything about nation building?

Thats what your liberal comrades were accusing Boosh of, and you know it. Stop acting stupid :eusa_hand:

Nation building is EXACTLY what Bush engaged in. But that's beside the point. MY point is that conservatives seem to be quite content for Arabs (Muslims) to remain in bondage to dictators because of an irrational fear about Sharia Law. For one thing, it's hypocritical to talk glowingly about democracy, but then be against democracy if and and when you don't agree with the decisions of the people in those countries. That's not your call. Or would you prefer to send some American Southern Baptists preachers over there to try to convert the people of a whole country to Christianity? That would be a great idea if your goal is to create Libyan terrorists who will target Americans. Secondly, it's blatant fear-mongoring (and bigotry) to try to whip up domestic fears about what may or may not happen in the aftermath of Gadhafi's ouster.

obama_akbar1.png

Obama Akbar......

Thanks to the wisdom of Barrack Hussein Obama we can count another country to be added to the list of fledgling theocracies.

Democrats are worried about the GOP installing a theocratic government here, but Obama is helping install them all over the Middle East.

Pretty soon every country in that region will be an enemy of the U.S. and of Israel.

To you liberals.......we told you so.:eusa_whistle:

You see victory yet we're losing the war on terror and paying for it with U.S. dollars.

Idiots.

My understanding is that Sharia Law is practiced throughout the ME. But the point is that it's the choice of Libyans as to whether or not they want to incorporate Sharia Law or some variation of SL into their new constitution.

I really, really, really really hate to break to you but the United States has no right, nor does have any purpose of right to dictate what form of Government another Sovereign Nation, or Nation State can or cannot have.

It is the RIGHT of the LIBYAN PEOPLE to decide what form of Government they shall have, NOT THE UNITED STATES.

But on the other hand, no doubt your one of those "Right To Life" assholes whose religion dictates the rights of others.

Its no so much the government you oppose, its the religion.

I really, really, really really hate to break to you but the United States has no right, nor does have any purpose of right to dictate what form of Government another Sovereign Nation, or Nation State can or cannot have.

It is the RIGHT of the LIBYAN PEOPLE to decide what form of Government they shall have, NOT THE UNITED STATES.

But on the other hand, no doubt your one of those "Right To Life" assholes whose religion dictates the rights of others.

Its no so much the government you oppose, its the religion.

Absolutely.

Seculars need not apply.

Sounds like the United States.

Which makes me wonder why your panties are in such a bunch about it here but in the Middle East it's all hunky-dorry.

I'll tell you what, since you're so numb to reality why don't you ask the first person you see at work to kick you in the ass cuz you probably won't feel that ether.

Where are my "panties in a bunch"? In every election I've had the choice between the Christian or the Christian. Why are YOUR "panties in a bunch" because the same holds true for Muslims in countries dominated by Muslims?

Forum List

Back