Like I already said... Russia cannot actually be sanctioned.....

It seems that's already happening... massive amounts of Russian wheat are being transferred over to China in return for financing of the Ukraine war.... I don't say that the Russian economy is healthy but I do say that it's not nearly in the death rattle that the West thinks it's in.
Selling your food for hard cash is a death spiral.

Uh, no. Check out inflation in Russia. Check the Ruble against the Euro.

Come back, correct your comment.
The Euro is also measured against the dollar....and yes the Ruble is garbage on the forex.
But the Petro-yuan is not on the forex.

It seems that's already happening... massive amounts of Russian wheat are being transferred over to China in return for financing of the Ukraine war.... I don't say that the Russian economy is healthy but I do say that it's not nearly in the death rattle that the West thinks it's in.

"Death rattle"

That's moving the goalposts a bit.

So, is that all you are really saying, now? That we won't collapse the Russian economy entirely, via sanctions?

Ok, that seems more reasonable than the thread title.

The Euro is also measured against the dollar....and yes the Ruble is garbage on the forex.
But the Petro-yuan is not on the forex.
Which has always been the case. If Russians did not crave American retailers, American retailers would not be there. If they didn't crave western imports, then the now-revoked western imports would not have been going there in the first place.

The Russians are not happy. Sanctions can be psychological warfare, too.

Which has always been the case. If Russians did not crave American retailers, American retailers would not be there. If they didn't crave western imports, then the now-revoked western imports would not have been going there in the first place.

The Russians are not happy. Sanctions can be psychological warfare, too.
It is true westernization is a commodity in itself because it's so desired by the rest of the world. That's actually a fascinating point now that you mention it. I fully expect Putin will have a tumultuous political future from here on out. Many people don't realize that his political career has always been somewhat tumultuous. He's firmly in charge right now but not completely invulnerable.

Last edited:
"Death rattle"

That's moving the goalposts a bit.

So, is that all you are really saying, now? That we won't collapse the Russian economy entirely, via sanctions?

Ok, that seems more reasonable than the thread title.
I don't know if I'm giving them too much credit but Putin was in China for a month before he did all of this. Now the Chinese are not superhumans but Goddamn it they're clever. Not too much catches them by surprise.

Perhaps....depends on what follows.
What follows is that Ukraine is not going to produce a crop this year. By this fall grain prices in the region are going to be sky high and Russia will have sold a strategic reserve of food they are really going to need. If what you say is true food riots will be commonplace in Russia by Christmas.

What follows is that Ukraine is not going to produce a crop this year. By this fall grain prices in the region are going to be sky high and Russia will have sold a strategic reserve of food they are really going to need. If what you say is true food riots will be commonplace in Russia by Christmas.
We certainly will be looking for that unless of course as I fear, Putin and Xi have planned some spectacular crescendo that nobody sees coming yet.

It is true westernization is a commodity in itself because it's so desired by the rest of the world. That's actually a fascinating point now that you mention it. I fully expected Putin will have a tumultuous political future from here on out. Many people don't realize that his political career has always been somewhat tumultuous. He's firmly in charge right now but not completely invulnerable.

I know everyone thinks Putin is this soulless rock of a man, but Putin is still human.

Putin's MRGA campaign is really not going well. Russia is just worse in every way, now.

He knows this. He sees it. The propaganda coming out of rhe Kremlin is more over the top than ever. Putin is boasting at home about glorious Russian victories and Ukrainians celebrating their liberators.

But he knows.

I know everyone thinks Putin is this soulless rock of a man, but Putin is still human.

Putin's MRGA campaign is really not going well. Russia is just worse in every way, now.

He knows this. He sees it. The propaganda coming out of rhe Kremlin is more over the top than ever. Putin is boasting at home about glorious Russia victories and Ukrainians welcoming and celebrating their liberators.

But he knows.
Agreed

We certainly will be looking for that unless of course as I fear, Putin and Xi have planned some spectacular crescendo that nobody sees coming yet.
Guys like them do not have friends and partners, only intended victims. China has correctly determined that economic power counts more than armies these days. Putin didn't get the memo. China has a weaponized economy many times the size of Russia. Russia is screwed if they think China has any interest in making them solvent.

Russian will just steal your crypto and use it to get around the banking ban

Can't sanction a country that doesn't have anything in the first place
Yeah apparently they're having some shortages over there right now but I suspect those will quickly be filled by Chinese suppliers who are absolutely disinterested in any warnings from the United States to the other end.

Uh, no. Check out inflation in Russia. Check the Ruble against the Euro.

Come back, correct your comment.
That's a short sighted view. Look at global food shortages now. Then look at the forecast for later this year. Russia produces wheat, unless the West wants to be the folks starving the world with sanctions, some accords will have to be made. The whole thing can backfire on the West.

Yeah apparently they're having some shortages over there right now but I suspect those will quickly be filled by Chinese suppliers who are absolutely disinterested in any warnings from the United States to the other end.
Chinese suppliers usually ask for money for their supplies. I hope you can afford to buy toilet paper again one day, comrade.

Forum List

Back