Lincoln is an example of perfect following of the Constitution

Libby von H

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2023
One of American's greatest Constitutional Lawyers did a whole book on Lincoln and the Constitution

1711977392968.png

In fact L. gave the insight into their true meaning to be followed ever after

Congress late said Lincoln was right and they wanted to make that official

Let's consider one conspicuous example of Lincoln's respect for the Constitution:

The Fifth Amendment states, "No person shall...be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law..."

AND YET, President Lincoln purported to deprive the slave-owners of the Confederacy of their human chattel property by a simple Presidential declaration.

It was all bullshit, of course. It had to be done by a Constitutional Amendment, but Lincoln did attempt to take their property with no form of due process.

One of American's greatest Constitutional Lawyers did a whole book on Lincoln and the Constitution. In fact L. gave the insight into their true meaning to be followed ever after .Congress late said Lincoln was right and they wanted to make that official.

Well, I'm a big Lincoln fan, but we really cannot say that he "perfectly followed the Constitution." He unconstitutionally pro-rogued two Northern state legislatures after voters in those states elected anti-war majorities. He shut down dozens of Northern newspapers and jailed a number of newspaper editors on highly dubious grounds. He illegally suspended the writ of habeas corpus and then tried to have civilians put on trial by military courts, a move that the Supreme Court eventually slapped down in 1866 in Ex Parte Milligan.

I give Lincoln a pass for invading Virginia because the Confederate bombardment of Fort Sumter made it impossible for him to do otherwise. Once Jefferson Davis committed the astonishing, idiotic blunder of having Fort Sumter bombarded, Lincoln had no viable, realistic choice but to resort to coercion, given the power of the Radical Republicans and the inflammation of Northern public opinion caused by the Confederate attack.

Let's consider one conspicuous example of Lincoln's respect for the Constitution:

The Fifth Amendment states, "No person shall...be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law..."

AND YET, President Lincoln purported to deprive the slave-owners of the Confederacy of their human chattel property by a simple Presidential declaration.

It was all bullshit, of course. It had to be done by a Constitutional Amendment, but Lincoln did attempt to take their property with no form of due process.
Doesn't the passage you quote indicate that Black people aren't property?

Doesn't the passage you quote indicate that Black people aren't property?
Always trying to trap me....That was utterly beyond question almost 100 years before that

Madison Debates
August 25 1787

"Notes of Debates in the Federal Convention of 1787," it would be "wrong to admit in the Constitution the idea that there could be property in men."

Always trying to trap me....That was utterly beyond question almost 100 years before that

Madison Debates
August 25 1787

"Notes of Debates in the Federal Convention of 1787," it would be "wrong to admit in the Constitution the idea that there could be property in men."
I wasn't responding to you...

Forum List

Back