Look what I found....Track Anvil

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I went over to my mom's house and checked my dad's workshop to make sure nothing of personal value was left behind.

I saw the nose of an track anvil sticking out from under a cabinet, pulled it out, and rescued it. I bet i've not seen it in 20+ years.

a 001 (2).JPG

It's shown next to my old 2# jeweler's anvil for scale.

A friend of my dad (both long passed) made it for him out of a section of industrial crane track from the old FMC plant that used to be in town.

Dad used it to make adjustments to his steel traps (mostly reshaping trap pans) and general metal shaping and other such pounding.....It was nice to hear it ring again. :)

I built one a few years ago ... but I went the other way with it.

More mass under the hammer.

Screenshot_20240602-221535-330.png

Still use it all the time, but I got one of those chinese 66 pound cast steel anvils that does the heavy lifting now.

I built one a few years ago ... but I went the other way with it.

More mass under the hammer.

View attachment 956579

Still use it all the time, but I got one of those chinese 66 pound cast steel anvils that does the heavy lifting now.

These days the hardware/lumber to put that together would cost you a small fortune if you bought it all new.

I put together a block arrangement like that for my Kindling Kracker out of a 4X4 treated post I found that had floated in down on my river property after a flood.

Most folks just lag bolt them to a stump (as pictured) but I wanted something more portable to tote to the hunting cabin if I wanted to.

OIP.Y4WhCSJsMhcQNl38lb9c3wHaHa

These days the hardware/lumber to put that together would cost you a small fortune if you bought it all new.

I put together a block arrangement like that for my Kindling Kracker out of a 4X4 treated post I found that had floated in down on my river property after a flood.

Most folks just lag bolt them to a stump (as pictured) but I wanted something more portable to tote to the hunting cabin if I wanted to.

OIP.Y4WhCSJsMhcQNl38lb9c3wHaHa
Yeah, I had the wood from dunnage and the hardware still cost an arm and a leg...and that was probably a decade ago. I want to say it was $50 or $60 bucks.

What do you think of the Kracker?

I went the Estwing Fireside Friend route.

Screenshot_20240603-231719-424.png

Yeah, I had the wood from dunnage and the hardware still cost an arm and a leg...and that was probably a decade ago. I want to say it was $50 or $60 bucks.

What do you think of the Kracker?

I went the Estwing Fireside Friend route.

View attachment 957281
I love the Kracker.....It was a gift from my daughter and it does one heck of a job.

You can roll through making kindling with it.....It's almost addictive once you get going. I just did up some hickory for my neighbors smoker with it a couple of weeks ago.

He had an hickory in his yard cut down and had the good sense to have them block some of it up for him.

LOL.....I saw him out in the yard tring to make kindling and he was working himself to death. I toted the Kracker over and before long he had himself enough to last for a while.

I can do three of those recycling totes full of kindling in about an half-hour. That's enough to last me a season. It beats the hell out of doing it with the kindling maul (a maul on a short haft) my dad made for me, much like your Estwing.

Forum List

Back