LOVE AND LAUGHTER IN THE TIME OF ISIS

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Nice pictures of people just leading their regular life in Iraq.

LOVE AND LAUGHTER IN THE TIME OF ISIS
By Marieke van der Velden
From the thrill of amusement parks to the bustle of beauty salons, a wartime photographer discovers that even amid the chaos and calamity of endless conflict, life in Iraq still goes on.
1 minutes

mKkNrXC7QfS9ElrVnJE2_iraqportraits_01.jpg

I have always been curious about life in Iraq, because we never see images of normal life there. I think it’s dehumanizing to Iraqis that we only see war and terrorism on TV, and losing our empathetic view of them as humans gives politicians free play to do whatever they want there, ignoring any human consequences. So journalist Paulien Bakker and I went to Iraq and asked people the question: How are you after all these years? We talked to barbers and brides, teenage girls and heads of schools. Instead of discussing the pain and horrors some had been through, we focused on their daily—yes, normal—life. We found that there is no difference between these people and us, except that they have to live in a country that has become a toy in world politics, while we live in safe countries where we can develop ourselves in a peaceful environment. But the people in this series have just as little to do with politics as you and me. We all have just one life.

Continue reading at:

Love and Laughter in the Time of ISIS Narratively Human stories boldly told.

Forum List

Back