Majority of Americans Support 'Significant Steps' To Tackle Climate Change Problem

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
It looks like a majority of Americans aren't buying the conservative line that global warming is some kind of liberal hoax. That's not surprising since the science is overwhelmingly on the side of the people who have been warning about climate change for over two decades now.

I have a little advice for conservatives (which they will undoubtedly reject without even considering the possibility of its merits). Being on the wrong side of a scientific debate by rejecting scientific findings is a losing proposition even if you can get some people to support you. And that's because, in the end, you end up looking like fools and kooks instead of looking like people who made an honest mistake.

Additionally, this will be just one more issue that will work against you in future elections.

WASHINGTON -- A wide majority of Americans support President Barack Obama's call to take action on climate change, according to polling released by the League of Conservation Voters conducted before his State of The Union Address Tuesday.

Sixty-five percent of Americans support "the President taking significant steps to address climate change now," including 89 percent of Democrats, 62 percent of independents and 38 percent of Republicans.

The survey finds that most Americans see climate change as a tangible threat, as 61 percent said climate change is already affecting them or will affect them sometime in their life. An overwhelming 93 percent say there is a moral obligation to leave an Earth not polluted or damaged to future generations, with 67 percent strongly agreeing.

Obama Climate Change Poll Finds Majority Supports 'Significant Steps' To Tackle Problem

omfriggengawd, who is saying it's some liberal hoax?

league of conservation voters? HUH?

93% say we have a MORAL obligation to leave the earth not polluted..

good grief...they better start killing off people then or Obama the savior who was going to heal the planets and stop the seas rising,
should just tax them the hell out of existense...lol

Hufferpost should shut down and stop polluting

Last edited:
damn there's some gulliable people in this country and unfortunately they VOTE

It looks like a majority of Americans aren't buying the conservative line that global warming is some kind of liberal hoax. That's not surprising since the science is overwhelmingly on the side of the people who have been warning about climate change for over two decades now.

I have a little advice for conservatives (which they will undoubtedly reject without even considering the possibility of its merits). Being on the wrong side of a scientific debate by rejecting scientific findings is a losing proposition even if you can get some people to support you. And that's because, in the end, you end up looking like fools and kooks instead of looking like people who made an honest mistake.

Additionally, this will be just one more issue that will work against you in future elections.

WASHINGTON -- A wide majority of Americans support President Barack Obama's call to take action on climate change, according to polling released by the League of Conservation Voters conducted before his State of The Union Address Tuesday.

Sixty-five percent of Americans support "the President taking significant steps to address climate change now," including 89 percent of Democrats, 62 percent of independents and 38 percent of Republicans.

The survey finds that most Americans see climate change as a tangible threat, as 61 percent said climate change is already affecting them or will affect them sometime in their life. An overwhelming 93 percent say there is a moral obligation to leave an Earth not polluted or damaged to future generations, with 67 percent strongly agreeing.

Obama Climate Change Poll Finds Majority Supports 'Significant Steps' To Tackle Problem

If you look at the two lists below, you'll see that climate change isn't even on either of them. Environment/Pollution is number 21 on the 2nd list. That hardly sounds like a mandate for Obama to pursue is radical, economically destructive climate change agenda:

ho6nlsapouoldwzlmdztaq.gif

It is just another Obama lie, President liar is just maneuvering for a Carbon Tax.

It is just another Obama lie, President liar is just maneuvering for a Carbon Tax.

I'd be fine with a carbon tax, as long as it was commensurate with a reduction in other taxes on production.

Of course, that will never happen.

The Number One thing members of the AGWCult can do to stop AGW is to shut the fuck up and never post online ever again.

Can you do that for the polar bears and the ice caps?

I wouldnt say a "majority" of Americans feel this way, I'd say just Democrats and left leaning independents, so that wouldnt be a "majority"......er, wait a minute........oh..yeah, guess it is.

I wouldnt say a "majority" of Americans feel this way, I'd say just Democrats and left leaning independents, so that wouldnt be a "majority"......er, wait a minute........oh..yeah, guess it is.

who cares, our country is Venezuela and Obama isn't Hugo...yet anyway

damn there's some gulliable people in this country and unfortunately they VOTE

But apparently, they can't spell very well.

I'd rather misspell a word than fall for the crap some of you do..

What crap would that be? I certainly didn't fall for the kind of crap that the tobacco industry tried to serve up to the public many years ago when they paid their own 'experts' to miraculously discover that there was no definitive causal link between smoking and lung cancer and other lung diseases. I mean, for crying' out loud, cigarettes had a damn filter on them that turned increasingly darker the more you smoked a cigarette. How was that tar supposed to be good for breathing when it ended up coating your lungs over the course of years. Yet, the tobacco companies NEVER admitted any link. And why? Money, of course.

Likewise, an educated and reasonably skeptical person should be suspicious when an industry like oil and gas multinational corporations with hundreds of times the financial wherewithal and the political clout of the tobacco companies releases 'studies' dismissing (or at least seriously questioning) the validity of climate change scientists' decades of research when there are hundreds of billions of dollars at stake for all of them.

Yet, conservatives keep buying the corporate line that there can't possibly be any link between human activity and climate change like fish continue to bite on lures that aren't even real flies and are therefore not even edible even if they catch them.

Scientists should study conservative gullibility. There's a wonder worth investigating and understanding.

many people equate pollution prevention with climate change prevention. I am sure that 100% of americans are against pollution.

the climate of the earth has been changing for millions of years and will be changing millions of years from now----man has never had anything to do with it. AGW is a hoax put forth by a bunch of money grubbing frauds.

Obama wouldn't even sign the DOHA agreement, you guys are being scammed. The US Govt is already taken. Steps to reduce your "carbon footprint" for you by shipping your jobs overseas.

Americans = Idiots.

Now go back to your TV's and cheer for your favorite sports team morons.

But apparently, they can't spell very well.

I'd rather misspell a word than fall for the crap some of you do..

What crap would that be? I certainly didn't fall for the kind of crap that the tobacco industry tried to serve up to the public many years ago when they paid their own 'experts' to miraculously discover that there was no definitive causal link between smoking and lung cancer and other lung diseases. I mean, for crying' out loud, cigarettes had a damn filter on them that turned increasingly darker the more you smoked a cigarette. How was that tar supposed to be good for breathing when it ended up coating your lungs over the course of years. Yet, the tobacco companies NEVER admitted any link. And why? Money, of course.

Likewise, an educated and reasonably skeptical person should be suspicious when an industry like oil and gas multinational corporations with hundreds of times the financial wherewithal and the political clout of the tobacco companies releases 'studies' dismissing (or at least seriously questioning) the validity of climate change scientists' decades of research when there are hundreds of billions of dollars at stake for all of them.

Yet, conservatives keep buying the corporate line that there can't possibly be any link between human activity and climate change like fish continue to bite on lures that aren't even real flies and are therefore not even edible even if they catch them.

Scientists should study conservative gullibility. There's a wonder worth investigating and understanding.

right, the oil and gas and coal companies are in favor of polluting the earth, they hate the planet and everything on it----------are you really that f-ing stupid? Energy companies consist of PEOPLE, just like you and me.

the demonization of companies that produce the energy that makes our civilization operate is just crazy.

The people who don't pay for anything are in favor of having other people pay for it.

Shocking!

many people equate pollution prevention with climate change prevention. I am sure that 100% of americans are against pollution.

the climate of the earth has been changing for millions of years and will be changing millions of years from now----man has never had anything to do with it. AGW is a hoax put forth by a bunch of money grubbing frauds.

Until relatively recently, human beings weren't digging up carbon buried in the earth for millions of years and burning it, thereby transforming a solid or liquid form of carbon (and the trapped gas of methane) into a gaseous form of carbon.

...while at the same time, engaging in massive deforestation even as the population is exploding and billions more people are demanding manufactured products and driving cars.

That's the equivalent of burning a candle from more than two ends.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back