🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Mall operator to close almost 80 shopping centers for Thanksgiving

To me, this is how it should be for all stores. If it were up to me, no store would re-open until 6 AM the next morning.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. The only places that should be open on Christmas and Thanksgiving day in my opinion are the gas stations since traveling is still done on them days.

If you are old enough you remember everybody, nearly, was off for the various holidays. Also, stores all closed at 9PM (possibly 10PM). And tv networks signed off around 1AM and went blank until 5 or 6 AM the next morning.

All these things, even if only subconsciously, cemented people's lives to each other as there was a rhythm everybody followed. It was a big part of what American culture was.

Now everything is 24/7 and you have access to just about anything at any time day or night. Good in some ways, but some things are lost as well. I'm glad stores are starting to close on Thanksgiving again. It provides a common experience for the entire population which in general is what a nation is made of, different people having a common life experience. If you change that and balkanize it too much the culture is destroyed.

If you are old enough you remember everybody, nearly, was off for the various holidays. Also, stores all closed at 9PM (possibly 10PM). And tv networks signed off around 1AM and went blank until 5 or 6 AM the next morning.

All these things, even if only subconsciously, cemented people's lives to each other as there was a rhythm everybody followed. It was a big part of what American culture was.

Now everything is 24/7 and you have access to just about anything at any time day or night. Good in some ways, but some things are lost as well. I'm glad stores are starting to close on Thanksgiving again. It provides a common experience for the entire population which in general is what a nation is made of, different people having a common life experience. If you change that and balkanize it too much the culture is destroyed.
I remember when all the liquor stores and bars were closed on election day, until after the polls were closed.
In Austria, where I lived for a few years, on Sundays and holidays, all shops and businesses are closed. Only restaurants and cafes are open. It's nice. These days are considered family days there. Their family units are stronger.

Forum List

Back