Man finds terrifying Hidden Bunker in Woods

Those weren't periscopes. More likely they were ventilation pipes. The curve is so they don't fill up with rain and debris.

No. The people who investigated it state clearly they are perioscopes. They should know, Ernie. They were on site - looking at them.

I think they misidentified them as periscopes.

By one of the broken doors someone investigating interpreted this writing to say exit no 2. I would think with all the turns, curves in this tunnel they could have gotten lost easily and so this would be the reason for the arrows and directions on walls? What language is that? Does anyone recognize it?

14-Sign-on-the-wall.jpg

Those weren't periscopes. More likely they were ventilation pipes. The curve is so they don't fill up with rain and debris.

No. The people who investigated it state clearly they are perioscopes. They should know, Ernie. They were on site - looking at them.

okay - I will take your word for it, Herewego, but it does seem odd the journalists doing the story wouldn't have corrected them - perhaps they didn't know what they were looking at (like me).

You do, realize, don't you that there was a war fought there about 70 years ago? Did it occur to you that this is likely a military facility built by the NAZI's and abandoned after the war?

Did it occur to you that germans dont use Cyrillic writing?

You are very keen to note that Herewego, there are many things about this underground bunker that are quite mysterious.

Actually it was noted under one of the photos...:biggrin:

You do, realize, don't you that there was a war fought there about 70 years ago? Did it occur to you that this is likely a military facility built by the NAZI's and abandoned after the war?

Did it occur to you that germans dont use Cyrillic writing?

You are very keen to note that Herewego, there are many things about this underground bunker that are quite mysterious.

Actually it was noted under one of the photos...:biggrin:

ha! ha! I totally missed that. thank you.

They don't know what they are talking about those are vents

Why would you have two periscopes right next to eachother?
Never heard of a bunker needing periscopes, they all need vents

Having served in Germany and studying a great deal of history about the wars there, I can almost state for a certainty this is a WWI Bunker, most likely built to protect Nazi elite from any invasion.

okay - I will take your word for it, Herewego, but it does seem odd the journalists doing the story wouldn't have corrected them - perhaps they didn't know what they were looking at (like me).

I guess if they weren't there they wouldnt know any better.
I dont see why if they were periscopes you'd have two of them right next to each other.
I'd be willing to bet they just ventilation pipes.

What do you think that big machine is in the one room? It looked to me as if it were an incinerator of some sort.

Untrained people who see pipes sticking out of the ground will see periscopes just like they ascribe evil purposes to an air handler.
Construction indicates that the complex was built in the 40's or 50's and these people think they "discovered it".
The spray painted graffiti shows plainly that others have been there fairly recently.

Untrained people who see pipes sticking out of the ground will see periscopes just like they ascribe evil purposes to an air handler.
Construction indicates that the complex was built in the 40's or 50's and these people think they "discovered it".
The spray painted graffiti shows plainly that others have been there fairly recently.

They noted that others had been there already.
It's pretty damn cool though.

They did discover it,Ernie, in the context of having reported it, photographed it and given the story to the news. I have found no other story or photographs of this particular bunker before this. Have you? If not? They get the credit.

Aren't perioscopes curved also?
Yup and they would likely be much smaller and have an optical assembly at the mouth. Odds are 99:1 against this being a periscope.
A periscope designed for use on land would be a lot different than one for a submarine. The friction of tons of dirt would make a single tube scope impossible to rotate.
Before you say I'm guessing and that you believe the technically challenged folk that found this place, I should tell you that before I retired I was an opto-mechanical engineer.

I believe you, Ernie. In the news story they wrongly identified them as perioscopes. They should have caught that and corrected the people identifying them as such. Very confusing for the reader - I appreciate your clarifying what they were - same to Here we go - thanks to you both.

They did discover it,Ernie, in the context of having reported it, photographed it and given the story to the news. I have found no other story or photographs of this particular bunker before this. Have you? If not? They get the credit.
Out in the middle of the woods, about 1/4 mile south of my house is a round concrete slab about 100 feet in diameter.
I "discovered" that while walking in the woods. Maybe I should write an article ascribing its purpose to be a landing pad for UFO's and claiming I am the first to see it in millennia despite the beer cans littering the spot where a huge water tower stood over a very busy navy base during WW II and Korea.

Forum List

Back